The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

It gets to sub-zero here on a few pre-dawn mornings each winter but basically that just means scraping the ice of the windscreen that the sun hasn't yet melted. 

Our punishing weather conditions would be in summer when the interior cabin temps can hit 70 Degrees C and many bits in European made cars melt and fall off.

My Belgium built Mondeo lost many of its internal stick-on bits due to the heat melting the euro-glue, as well as the interior lining of the door panels that came unstuck and popped up above window height and turned all dry and brittle. It was all replaced for free although it was outside warranty cos at the time Ford were hoping to replace their Australian made range with imports so didn't want the bad press about how poorly  the  gentler-climate imports performed in Australian conditions. It can get seriously hot here!

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

• RMweb Gold

I've just received an e mail about my grocery delivery for tomorrow morning.  The only thing is - I don't have an order for tomorrow.  I did have but cancelled it because a medical appointment got moved so I did a new order for my normal day.

My account shows it as cancelled and my next delivery as being in December.

I wonder what will happen.  Fortunately if there is a delivery I can use almost all the items and a neighbour who cannot get out much will welcome any I can't use.

David

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

A rather late 'morning', due to tiredness and, well, sloth. 3c and still frosty, sunny and still.

Ten years ago a frosty morning when i wasn't at work would have resulted in a dash to get one of those unmentionable hot water vapour powered devices out for a play, nowadays it's a look out of the window, a shiver and a different kettle used.

vqfrosty.JPG.478ec287f1ab3311179eda8b58733cc8.JPG

2 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Brilliant  photo!   5 stars.

And an AWL?

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

What is this thing 'cold'? Is it what happens if you have the air conditioning set too high?

No it's what happens if you go into an industrial freezer.  I am led to believe that a former UK prime minister knows all about it.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

What is this thing 'cold'? Is it what happens if you have the air conditioning set too high?

Its the global aircon having a hissy fit...

Someone'll fix it in six months time!

• Like 6
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold

I was naughty and bought some stuff from Hattons in their Black Friday sale. I'm now waiting for an Amazon delivery of the stuff, evidently its too heavy for Royal Mail...

Its just entered delivery slot land, from now until 18:15.  I wonder if they'll just ring the bell and run away AGAIN!

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Yes, they did it AGAIN!!!  Those delivery vans shift faster than a RB F1 car.

Today the sun sets at bang on 16:00 (less than 10 mins to go as I type) and the BBC weather app predicts sub-zero temps overnight.

Heating will be ON once it goes dark...

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, DaveF said:

I arrived and went in and had a look round, the Works has gone

They do seem to be retrenching quite a bit. I visited a local "outlet" concentration place for some of the calendar/diary sets they offer and they were pulling out of there too.  Stock was rubbish and there were no calendars to be seen.  I'll have to go into the town branch, which is a bummer as parking is expensive.

• Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Hroth said:

I was naughty and bought some stuff from Hattons in their Black Friday sale. I'm now waiting for an Amazon delivery of the stuff, evidently its too heavy for Royal Mail...

Its just entered delivery slot land, from now until 18:15.  I wonder if they'll just ring the bell and run away AGAIN!

The Royal Mail weight limit is 30Kg.....just how much stuff did you buy???

• Funny 16

HUMP day...

Yesterday mostly uneventful, cold, and Jemma stopped by for dinner and to drop Whitney off (again). She only had a one day home before off on another 6-day trip.

Today, needed to let the chimney folks in to do the necessary work at the rental house. Then back working

Warming "some" here, only -3c first thing, sunny and a high of 5c expected.

Next few days we're not expected to see a high above Zero, lows -2c to -4c, so pretty mild - FOR US...🤣

Carry on.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Evening all,

One set of scribblings re tarte flambe, as promised to @polybear:

Ingredients (like pizza, it's variable):

A sheet of pastry is needed for the base – either homemade or RTR – Jusrol puff pastry (320g) is an easy shortcut and provides two decent portions for a meal, four if it's a lighter meal, say with some green stuff by the side.

A 'moisturiser' – the traditional recipes advise using Creme Fraiche but (at the risk of horrifying traditionalists who would probably say that it's not tarte flambe) you could use tomato sauce/puree or passata – or even a pasta sauce. I have used River Cottage organic tomato ketchup, which is expensive but rich and very tasty. Say around 150g?

Toppings, to taste but traditionally onion and bacon - very thinly sliced raw onion (or shallots) – to taste but say around one small-medium onion. Bacon – many recipes suggest lardons but there's no reason why you couldn't use (thick sliced) bacon slices cut into small pieces. Say 150-200g's worth?

Cheese – many recipes list Emmental or Gruyere but I tend to use grated Red Leicester or Cheddar as the 'base', with a second cheese cut into small lumps as an extra topping – Camembert works well IMHO. Say 150g and 100g respectively? Again – very subjective.

Herbs and spices to taste – chives, parsley and garlic are good ones to add.

Prep:

Preheat oven to Gas Mark 8 (230C?) and line a large baking tray with baking paper – if using commercial pastry, this often comes in such paper already – I just reuse this, though being careful to trim loose edges so we don't have an oven fire.

Make (or unwrap!) pastry at room temperature. Coat in creme fraiche (or tomato sauce), I use both a desert spoon and fingers to spread this out, I suggest a generous layer without being extravagant. Perhaps the sort of layer you'd put jam or honey on a slice of toast if being indulgent?

Slice and place the onion, tucking in any 'overhangs'. Grate your 'base' cheese and sprinkle over.

If using bacon, this should be cooked before adding to the pastry. Not too much otherwise the oven time for the pastry to cook will burn it but get it at least to the edible but nearly underdone stage. If using lardons or chunks of any other fatty meat, drain off the excess fat before adding the meat.

Add herbs, spices, recite magical incantations etc. 

Place in oven, I'd check it after ten minutes but 15 is more likely – the timing depends on various factors, such as the thicknesses of your pastry, creme fraiche and other toppings. And whether you've cut the pastry into serving helpings already (or plan to do this later). But the pastry should be cooked through with crisp brown edges and the cheese bubbling. Slice and serve.

As you've probably gathered, you can play with the quantities considerably! I'm used to doing this by eye and have most if not all of these things on the go in the fridge anyway, so don't think much about the quantities/weights, sorry. But I hope this (and perhaps any more precise online recipes from others) would give someone a start. I'll try and remember to take some snaps next time I do this. 

I have tried a 'calzone' version but wasn't particularly happy with the results. I usually like it with a small green salad and a glass (or two...) of white wine. Should 'anyone' fancy accompanying this with curly fries, then I'd suggest cooking separately but then the tarte is usually strong enough to fold a slice around a handful of such fries and you have a new version of a chip sandwich... (And that's me excommunicated from the Gourmet Club!)

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, The White Rabbit said:

RTR – Jusrol puff pastry (320g) is an easy shortcut

All the tarte flambé / Flammekueche  I have eaten have had an extremely thin base.

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 7