The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

18 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Sounds like Australia had a narrow escape from having to speak French!

One could imagine a counterfactual history where there was no First Fleet and a French Department of l'Australie- which during the second world war became Vichy ally of Imperial Japan.

Without Australian troops in Malaysia, Singapore would have fallen even sooner, and the strategic location of l'Australie, freeing up Japanese resources to take Ceylon and invade British India from Burma, also denying a strategic base of operations for the US in the Pacific War.

Of course the French would be shocked by the accent used in the argot of l'Australie - even worse than Québécois.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 9

Just now, Tony_S said:

or a Dutch fleet perhaps?

No they had plenty of opportunity and were never very interested.

They had multiple colonies in the area, founding Batavia in 1619. Their fetish for canals made sure that they were constantly afflicted by tropical diseases there.  They were overstretched just maintaining the Dutch East Indies (modern Indonesia) and their high water mark ended in the 17th century - largely as a result of the Anglo-Dutch Wars.

They had sailed around most of the Australian coastline long before Cook arrived in 1770. Tasman's voyages were in 1642/3 and 1644.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

No they had plenty of opportunity and were never very interested.

They had multiple colonies in the area, founding Batavia in 1619. Their fetish for canals made sure that they were constantly afflicted by tropical diseases there.  They were overstretched just maintaining the Dutch East Indies (modern Indonesia) and their high water mark ended in the 17th century - largely as a result of the Anglo-Dutch Wars.

They had sailed around most of the Australian coastline long before Cook arrived in 1770. Tasman's voyages were in 1642/3 and 1644.

It would have been interesting to have a whole continent speaking Dutch!

• Like 5
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 1

The oldest  surviving European building in Australia  is a small fort built by Dutch survivors of the Batavia shipwreck and subsequent massacre in 1629, on a small barren island off the coast of WA.

image.png.f01e0cb0d64a0188dc24948f3db24a06.png

Ever since reading "The Island OF Angry Ghosts" as a school text, I've always thought the  Batavia story would make a compelling,  - if  somewhat bloodthirsty -  movie or mini-series.

https://museum.wa.gov.au/research/research-areas/maritime-archaeology/batavia-cape-inscription/batavia

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

largely as a result of the Anglo-Dutch Wars.

In 1667 the Dutch fleet sailed up the Thames and attacked the Royal Navy in the Medway. The town I live in was also bombarded, allegedly by mistake thinking it was Tilbury. Later on that century, Dutch engineers were busily building sea defences and drains round here. By 1689 a Dutchman was King of England,Scotland and Ireland. 

• Like 9
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

11 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

In 1667 the Dutch fleet sailed up the Thames and attacked the Royal Navy in the Medway.

The second Anglo-Dutch war (which encompasses the Raid on the Medway) was pre-empted by the capture by the Duke of York and Albany* of New Amsterdam and Fort Orange (now New York and Albany) in 1664.

* The future James II.

The Dutch would recapture it but later trade it for Willoughbyland (the English colony in South America, aka Suriname) presuming that tropical agriculture would be more profitable than what would become NYC.

11 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

By 1689 a Dutchman was King of England, Scotland and Ireland. 

A Dutchman yes, but also the grandson of one Stuart King and nephew of two others. One of the legacies of the T&Cs* of the Glorious Revolution is the gun problem in the US.

* The 1689 English Bill of Rights.

Much of British imperialism (and by consequence the US) stems from this period. The impact on world history of these times is greatly overlooked.

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 9

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Sheesh, you go out of your way to be nice to @polybear and that's the way he repays you.....

Still, revenge is a dish best served cold...

So as the Bear forgets that both iD and Captain Cynical have friends in very high places...

_59967f51-5a25-4b6a-9429-813b4fdd9122.jpg.39cd1f77dcf2be76f483af88349afcad.jpg

If @iL Dottore has friends there, they would not be able to organise the proverbial in a brewery, so @polybear would have no worries. Dream on, with whatever work supplies you have been testing. 😄

• Funny 15

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

As I predicted this morning, Charlie was a no show this afternoon, apparently he had a humongous hangover! Anyway, I managed to complete the painting of clouds in the cellar, although I may add a few highlights to a few clouds in the future. The next task now will be to start laying the laminate flooring! Which I’m hoping to start next week. 

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

RE WARLEY MEET UP:

The ‘Spoons outside Hall 5 at 14:00 (Saturday and Sunday)

I’ll be recognisable from my Interpol Pictures (and a blue bag)

iD

Following iD's run-in with a Certain Bear I thought a picture might help......

OIG.jpg.f91019374f51cad1307066ebc1fc2d7b.jpg

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Of course the French would be shocked by the accent used in the argot of l'Australie - even worse than Québécois.

Mon Dieu

Le mateship et le bonzer weekend avec le bbq et plusiers Sheilas sont uniquement Aussie 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Not a bad night last night, only one call out by bladder control. I didn't go to bed until one this morning as I was catching up on RMweb and Farcebook so I'm feeling a bit tired so I'll be doing some eyelid inspection soon.

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1