The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

3 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

There were some doubts about the parentage of his older brother Edward IV, the father of the Princes in the Tower. 

Taking the claim that Edward IV was illegitimate as true, this program:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britain's_Real_Monarch

traced the resulting line of succession of the English/UK monarchy. At the time the program was made, this line led to a sheep farmer in Australia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Abney-Hastings,_14th_Earl_of_Loudoun

(I will refrain from any reference to Monty Pythons’ “Bruces” sketch.)

He has since died, and has been succeeded by his son.

2 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

… Richard III's cortege passed through Market Bosworth on our 30th Wedding Anniversary in 2015 …

We saw a Billy Connolly performance in Nottingham. He had arrived in town from the south, and the tour bus had passed through the Bosworths on the way. He had been greatly amused by the name of the village of Husbands Bosworth and worked it into the performance. (For those who don’t know, the word “ball” is often pronounced “baw” in Scotland.)

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Certainly was the strangest game I've seen crowd wise.

I was amazed that the teams didn’t seem to be affected by the drinks break laser show. The playing area was quite dark during it. 

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Native UK wildlife

That looks like a rather overweight grey squirrel, introduced from the US. They do seem to vary in colour a lot more now but are quite different to the native red squirrel. 

image.jpeg.bdf6e530dd32bc1c2754312295c4b41c.jpeg

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 13
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 minutes ago, pH said:

He has since died, and has been succeeded by his son.

His son was the Bearer Of The Great Golden Spurs at Chuck 3's funny hat party.

(I in turn  will refrain from any reference to Monty Pythons’  Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch! .)

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/apr/25/simon-abney-hastings-15th-earl-of-loudon-australian-man-wangaratta-king-charles-coronation-great-golden-spurs

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Native UK wildlife.

image.png.955cb28e48e535ba2f83b74b9bd421bc.png

Native Australian wildlife.

image.png.0b6025e2e2a26cebd1be1e376911b05a.png

The grey squirrel looks rather like his compatriots who flock to Stratford upon Avon and the Tower of London, wearing loud shirts and odd hats every summer...

• Funny 11

21 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

(I in turn  will refrain from any reference to Monty Pythons’  Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch! .)

Yes the panoply of the tchotchkes of spendiferousness was quite ridiculous. When they got to what looked like Princess Diana of Themyscira's golden bracelets I was quite amused. At that point I was looking forward to the lasso of truth and a full set of the Deathly Hallows.

• Like 9
  • Funny 2

This is an interesting notion.

CNN: Microplastics could trigger cloud formation and affect the weather, new study suggests

The hypothesis (undemonstrated) is that atmospheric microplastics might stimulate cloud formation and precipitation. Here in Oregon, microplastics are certainly present in water upstream of any source of human impacted runoff - which suggests they fall with the rain.

The concentrations downstream of human runoff - particularly laundry sullage which contains lots of microplastics from synthetic fibres - is of course much higher.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

We were talking about increasing insurance costs a little while ago.

This is what the US insurance industry is facing:
image.png.2fed1bff81a59a575d5049463c29927e.png

CNN: No place in the US is safe from the climate crisis, but a new report shows where it’s most severe

Their climate 'refuge' - Buffalo, NY. It rarely sees a day over 100°F / 38°C. Darn cold in winter though.

• Informative/Useful 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium

Bear here......

I had "a bit of a result" earlier - I've been pondering struggling how to create an interesting track plan whilst not exceeding the baseboard widths of 600mm; the corners in particular are the problem and whilst I plan to add corner fillets to two of them this does then cause issues with access to drawers in some of the Ikea kitchen units that provide the support structure.

Until.....

I had an idea.  I know, scary.....

I wondered how easy it would be to move a drawer (a wide one) to the bottom of the kitchen unit** and have the cupboard doors above it, which would mean I could still easily access both the drawer contents and cupboard.  Without doing this I'd lose a lot of storage space to two drawers that would be difficult/impossible to access.  Other kitchen units that would also be affected are full height cupboards, so there's no problem with access to the contents.

(**There are two such kitchen units).

So today I decided to investigate; the first plan was discovering how to remove the drawer from the unit - all I can say is Youtube was a real blessing....

As soon as I did that it became apparent that the most helpful designers at Ikea had drilled the cabinet structure to allow for that very idea.  I reckon that's a huge Tick and saves A Certain Bear a whole heap of sh1t.  Result.

The rest of the day has been taken up with 'plottin as promised; I'm still falling foul of Rule One**, which is a right PITA - the latest project involves a certain, rather famous and historical layout created by a certain Vicar that's proving somewhat difficult to recreate.  TC's.

** Rule One:  Anything in a book or magazine just ain't gonna fit, despite seemingly being the same overall dimensions as the room.

ION......

A high profile Nevada based Law Firm has started a class-action against F1 following the Las Vegas GP; they are asking for payments of "in excess" of $30,000 per spectator, split equally between "general" and "special" damages.

After Thursday's incident involving Carlos Sainz led to the first free practice being stopped, there was a lengthy delay while water valve covers were checked.

FP2 was supposed to start at midnight, and it finally got underway at 2.30am. However, the venue was cleared of spectators at 1.30am due to staffing and security issues.

On Friday, spectators affected were offered a $200 voucher to be spent at the venue's merchandise sites.

On Friday evening, the Dimopoulos law firm working in conjunction with JK Legal & Consulting filed a class action on behalf of the 35,000 spectators it says were at the track on Thursday.

The action states that "the lawsuit alleges breach of contract, negligence, and deceptive trade practices against the defendants," who are the Las Vegas GP and TAB Contractors Inc., the company involved with maintaining the track.

Lead lawyer Steve Dimopoulos, well known in the city for personal injury cases and through billboards and TV advertising, noted: "We will vindicate the rights of the fans that travelled great distances and paid small fortunes to attend, but were deprived of the experience." 

Could be interesting.....

BG

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 14
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, polybear said:

On Friday evening, the Dimopoulos law firm working in conjunction with JK Legal & Consulting filed a class action on behalf of the 35,000 spectators it says were at the track on Thursday.

The legal lizards emerge from the Nevada desert....

I wonder if they're related to the huge bats?

• Like 4
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Have I been misinformed? You  need to have a word with your telly writers!  From watching anything English,  cricket there is  always village green,  gentle summer evening, some old blokes watching from a bench outside the pub, birds singing, polite clapping.

Of course then someone opens the kitbag to find the body of the groundsman with a stump through his forehead  and Ms Marple, those Midsummer Murder guys, Father Brown, et al descend to solve it.

Come to think of it it never seems to rain in England either.

I've been watching 'The Murdoch Mysteries' set in Victorian/Edwardian Toronto recently. In one episode a cricketer was killed by an exploding cricket bat. The killer had hollowed out the bat and filled the void with nitroglycerin. As soon as he hit the ball the bat exploded killing the batsman.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, BoD said:

Gosh, how many times have I met that very pose when getting in late from the pub.

Of course, that was in days of yore. Now I am a paragon of virtue.  totally under the thumb.

There - corrected it for you......

• Like 4
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, BoD said:

Gosh, how many times have I met that very pose when getting in late from the pub.

Of course, that was in days of yore. Now I am a paragon of virtue.

There's also the pursin' of the lips and the tappin' of the feet....

• Like 5
  • Agree 11

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Hroth said:

There's also the pursin' of the lips and the tappin' of the feet....

Not to mention the silent treatment, as well as short & frosty questions and answers to "essential" stuff.

• Like 9
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Spent most of this evening watching BBC2. Some interesting programs including one on Caribbean wildlife, most interesting. Dinner tonight was a risotto, straight out of the package and into the microwave, followed by a bread and butter pudding. Just as well my arteries are made of stern stuff.

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Coombe Barton said:

Wrong Bosworth - 30 miles away

I am aware that Market Bosworth and Husbands Bosworth are different and separate places. Your mention of Market Bosworth reminded me of Billy Connolly’s comments on Husbands Bosworth, leading me to making that post. 

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

This is an interesting notion.

CNN: Microplastics could trigger cloud formation and affect the weather, new study suggests

The hypothesis (undemonstrated) is that atmospheric microplastics might stimulate cloud formation and precipitation. Here in Oregon, microplastics are certainly present in water upstream of any source of human impacted runoff - which suggests they fall with the rain.

The concentrations downstream of human runoff - particularly laundry sullage which contains lots of microplastics from synthetic fibres - is of course much higher.

I recall reading that micro plastics have found in the snow on top of mountains so if that's true it certainly confirm that they are airborne. Haven't they also been found in humans as well?

• Like 1
  • Agree 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

I've been watching 'The Murdoch Mysteries' set in Victorian/Edwardian Toronto recently. In one episode a cricketer was killed by an exploding cricket bat. The killer had hollowed out the bat and filled the void with nitroglycerin. As soon as he hit the ball the bat exploded killing the batsman.

Might be worthwhile letting the English Cricket Board see it.

• Like 1
  • Funny 9