The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Only one call out from bladder control last night but I went back to sleep again soon afterwards and slept through until just before eight. However the arthritis in my knee and hip kicked in and the joints froze and I couldn't move for a few minutes. Not a lot to do today except the washing needs to go on. My washing machine is over forty years old and still working, I'd better not tempt fate by saying any more.

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium

Bear here......

It seems that ThetotalF'Witsthatgovernus aren't just isolated to the west of Offa's Dyke - the b'sterds are spreading eastwards....

https://www.hertfordshire.gov.uk/services/highways-roads-and-pavements/roadworks-and-road-closures/major-roadwork-projects/20mph-programme.aspx#consultations

ION.....

More of the same......

BG

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 7
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium

Honest JJB's Trading is pleased to announce our latest product. Picture the scene if you will, you are at the gentleman's club enjoying a light lunch of chateaubriand, ortolon, foie gras and organic lettuce, with a nice Mouton Rothschild grand vin when someone appears fuelled on baked beans with an accelerant of frozen pizza, fermenting and ready to blow - what to do?  Honest JJB's have the answer - the Protect-a-lot XL4000 - designed to assure safety in just such high hazard environments. Also rated to provide complete protection from the affects of adding an accelerant of guiness to pickled eggs and curry up to and including lamb tikka phall after adding 14 pints of cheap lager. Easily portable by ones man servant, simply send me a signed blank cheque and in a mere several years you will be the proud owner of the ultimate accessory for the fashionable young fellow about town.

Suit.jpg

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Premium

And the ultimate insurance policy - the Recoverator suit. Imagine the ultimate catastrophe - our visiting baked bean and pizza fuelled fellow has an event, perhaps made worse by last nights vindaloo after falling for an extra donner kebab home. Luckily you are kept safe by the Protect-a-lot XL4000 and manage to escape, but what if you left something important behind, such as a Deltic? Honest JJB's have the answer, the Recoverator suit, designed to keep your manservant alive in just such a toxic environment long enough to allow him to recover and decontaminate any valuables while you arrange his replacement. 

Dive.jpg

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon All

9 hours ago, polybear said:

It seems that @PupCam Puppers is in deep doo-doo with Mrs. P again after treading swarf all over the carpet.....

OIG_8h.jpg.52e20276c67d4df834054322bdf326e7.jpg

Funny enough one of this mornings jobs was cleaning down the Myford and hoovering the garage floor ....

9 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Switzerland, which is hardly a technological third-world backwater, still has both “pay and display” machines that take cash, as does parking where machines that validate your exit ticket upon payment.

You can also pay by card, but it’s by no means ubiquitous as in the UK and I have yet to see any “payment by card only” signs that are sprouting up all over Britain - like acne on a 15 year-old’s face.

Way behind the times!    Paying by card?   That's so last year you can't do that any more in your local railway station.   Ask an exceedingly annoyed and Peed Off PupCam how he knows.   Shooting is too good for these herberts ....  

9 hours ago, polybear said:

It'll be interesting to see if the latest jobbie lasts 20 years......

7 hours ago, Barry O said:

Comes with a 10 year warranty. The old one had.... 2 years

Good luck with that!        2 years will be closer if my recent experience of white goods is anything to go by.     Best washing machine we ever had was the Zanussi (ie when it was a Zanussi) bought in the early 80's to equip a newly-weds flat.   Best, most long lasting, work anywhere fridge freezer?   The Frigidaire that was bought to equip a newly-weds flat in the early '80s.    Yes, there's a theme there.

8 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

How did you go down here?!

image.png.5f4658531b87d7bc61cc5549a2b95873.png

I just wouldn't bother.

6 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Probably!   But here's the thing, it uses this "Smart Drive" technology where magnets or something replace the belt drive. It makes it capable of insane spin speeds but also  apparently makes it  in demand by DIY enthusiasts here.

I'm not sure what they use the drives for - time machines, ICBM control systems, @PupCamstyle telescope mounts, who knows!  But as long as that bit is still working I can sell it for a bit of cash.

Actually, I just googled it - wind turbines is just one...

https://www.siliconchip.com.au/Issue/2012/February/Converting+The+F%26P+SmartDrive+for+Use+As+A+.+.+.+Motor

Quote:  "those clever Kiwis!"  LOL.

That looks like it's an interesting publication.   Shame it's only a preview.  I also noted an article in there on DCC

3 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear here......

It seems that ThetotalF'Witsthatgovernus aren't just isolated to the west of Offa's Dyke - the b'sterds are spreading eastwards....

https://www.hertfordshire.gov.uk/services/highways-roads-and-pavements/roadworks-and-road-closures/major-roadwork-projects/20mph-programme.aspx#consultations

ION.....

More of the same......

BG

Oh FFS!

Will someone please do an authoritative study on the global spread of these ridiculous "speed reduction" initiatives.   Might I suggest that you adopt the "it's really bad for the environment, we've got to get down to net zero and slowing down and speeding up all the time is a really stupid idea"* angle.

*  I'll just jump on the environmental bandwagon on this one occasion as it happens to suit my purpose here.

ION

New fuel tap fitted to the RD, some fuel added to the tank and a quick roar (well more of a Ring, Ding, Ding, Ting, Ting really) down the road.   It seemed to work.    Late last night I noted a drop of petrol around one of the two mounting screws.   I nipped it up.    Drip ..................................................................................................................................................................................... drip.     The new tap has a better seal design than the old one.  The seal extends all the way round both bolts.     Unfortunately the petrol has a direct route from the tank to the bolt hole so bypasses the seal anyway and relies on a fibre washer (recently purchased) on the bolts to block its path.    It didn't work.    I may have mentioned before it is impossible to completely drain the tank and of course that remainder shouts Yipee! when you remove the tap, turdycurses.   So, new 1mm thick washers were punched out from gasket material to replace the newly bought fibre jobs.    For "Belt & Braces" the washers were made very tight on the the bolt thread and all surfaces were covered in "Wellseal" (a thick treacle-like sealer) and the tap replaced and the bolts done up as tight as I dare.   It seems to be working.   Hooray!

Fuel line airlocks?   Still present.   Turdycurses squared.

One of the little remote control modules in the telescope remote control handset seemed to have lost two of the four channels.    A new module has been installed and both telescope focusing and Right Ascension slewing functions are now fully operational.    If only one could look up into the Heavens and have a chance of viewing twinkly things.  Oh well,  as it's Strictly Come Prancing tonight   perhaps I'll have another crack at processing some of my previous astronomical data.

TTFN

Edited by PupCam
I hoovered the garage floor, I didn't hover it!
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

Honest JJB's Trading is pleased to announce our latest product. Picture the scene if you will, you are at the gentleman's club enjoying a light lunch of chateaubriand, ortolon, foie gras and organic lettuce, with a nice Mouton Rothschild grand vin when someone appears fuelled on baked beans with an accelerant of frozen pizza, fermenting and ready to blow - what to do?  Honest JJB's have the answer - the Protect-a-lot XL4000 - designed to assure safety in just such high hazard environments. Also rated to provide complete protection from the affects of adding an accelerant of guiness to pickled eggs and curry up to and including lamb tikka phall after adding 14 pints of cheap lager. Easily portable by ones man servant, simply send me a signed blank cheque and in a mere several years you will be the proud owner of the ultimate accessory for the fashionable young fellow about town.

Suit.jpg

2 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

And the ultimate insurance policy - the Recoverator suit. Imagine the ultimate catastrophe - our visiting baked bean and pizza fuelled fellow has an event, perhaps made worse by last nights vindaloo after falling for an extra donner kebab home. Luckily you are kept safe by the Protect-a-lot XL4000 and manage to escape, but what if you left something important behind, such as a Deltic? Honest JJB's have the answer, the Recoverator suit, designed to keep your manservant alive in just such a toxic environment long enough to allow him to recover and decontaminate any valuables while you arrange his replacement. 

Dive.jpg

You have not explained what happens when you are sealed up in the suit and you break wind or even worse if there's a follow through.

• Agree 3
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, PupCam said:

Good luck with that!        2 years will be closer if my recent experience of white goods is anything to go by.     Best washing machine we ever had was the Zanussi (ie when it was a Zanussi) bought in the early 80's to equip a newly-weds flat.   Best, most long lasting, work anywhere fridge freezer?   The Frigidaire that was bought to equip a newly-weds flat in the early '80s.    Yes, there's a theme there.

My washing machine is also a Zanussi purchased about the same time, and it is doing the next load of washing right now. It has survived two house moves in that time. I've still got the bolts that you have to insert to secure the drum for transport.

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

I don't use QR codes, I don't even know how to set them up on my smartphone.

I think if you just pointed the phone camera at a QR code so that the code filled most of the screen, the phone would sort it out for you ... whether you wanted it to or not.

Edited by BoD
  • Agree 8
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, BoD said:

Earlier this year in Keswick none of the payment machines were able to read cards, although they went through the process of trying to. Apparently this is is occurring in an increasing number of areas where the 3G signal has been turned off.  The parking meter, which is based on 3G technology can't talk to your bank to verify the payment. Some councils are saying that they can't afford/don't want to update all of their meters to 4 or 5G and are insisting that people start using Apps to pay. 

There was only one meter in the whole carpark that took cash. Guess what the queue at that meter was like.  I fortunately had enough change to pay but I know there were quite a few disgruntled people there.  I understand to that there has  been no agreement on standardisation of apps, so in theory you could have to download an app for each carpark you use, if you decided that you are willing to pay that way.  

As for calling the phone number given to pay for parking - you are joking.  I tried this once and had no success in entering card details via the keypad.  By the time I had eventually heard the instructions (I'm quite hard of hearing) and then switched to the keypad on the phone  I was trying to hold my card in one hand and the phone in the other and  enter the details.  The system obviously got tired of waiting and hung up.

I'm guessing that was almost a rant.

Fortunately here in Northumberland many car parks are free.  In my town you can generally remain in a car park for up to 72 hours, even at the local beach which also has free parking.   You need to pay at some very popular seaside ones and at country parks if you want to stay for more than one hour.  I think you also pay in parts of Corbridge.

At the moment all the country park car parks take cash as some of them don't have a mobile signal so both cards and phone apps do not work.  The same applies at the car parks run by Northumbrian Water but for some of those (at Kielder) you can pay in advance online.

I do have an app on my phone for the very rare times I go into North Tyneside and need to pay - usually I use one of their fee car parks and walk a little bit further to where I want to be.

As far as anywhere else is concerned if they want to make it difficult for me to park in terms of how I can pay I won't go there so they will lose any money I might have spent in their area.

Of course it is easy for me to say that as I don't need to visit many places away from where I live, the very rare times I go to Newcastle I use the bus.  The local hospitals take cards.

David

• Like 19

4 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear here......

ION.....

More of the same......

BG

You'd think a moat would be enough to stop the infection, but Oh No...

https://haveyoursay.wirral.gov.uk/20mph-speed-limit-scheme-phase-2

• Like 7
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, PupCam said:

Fuel line airlocks?   Still present.   Turdycurses squared.

Hmmm......

Assuming (a) there's lotsalotsa fuel in the tank, and (b) the fuel tap body doesn't leak air in without letting fuel leak out then could there be a situation where air is somehow, under certain conditions, coming up from the Carbies into the fuel line, then when fuel is needed (= most of the time) it sucks in the air and, well, snuffs it?

edit:  Does the arrdee have rotary disc valves or reed valves?  I'm guessing the former.

Bear here.....

Today's Bullsh1t Phrase of the Day is:

"Rapid Unscheduled Disassembly"

Why not just say the 'sterd blew up when it wasn't s'posed to?

ION.....

More of the same......

BG

Edited by polybear
  • Like 3
  • Agree 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, Hroth said:

You'd think a moat would be enough to stop the infection, but Oh No...

https://haveyoursay.wirral.gov.uk/20mph-speed-limit-scheme-phase-2

We were in York recently and there are quite a lot of 20mph zones.  However I don’t think they are very well signed, except for the “end of “ notification. The road painted signs are very poor and I seriously wondered if someone had removed the start signs in some areas.   The first we knew sometimes was the car letting me know we were in a 20mph area. I was a bit worried that perhaps,I had transgressed but I looked up about the York scheme and no one has ever been prosecuted. The 20 mph zones round here and in London seem to be clearly marked. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2