The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

5 minutes ago, polybear said:

Be careful out there....this isn't an isolated incident, it seems to be the latest scam:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-tees-67335952

Switzerland, which is hardly a technological third-world backwater, still has both “pay and display” machines that take cash, as does parking where machines that validate your exit ticket upon payment.

You can also pay by card, but it’s by no means ubiquitous as in the UK and I have yet to see any “payment by card only” signs that are sprouting up all over Britain - like acne on a 15 year-old’s face.

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

Bear here....

....since 0500.  Pah.

The leccy underblanket did it's stuff last night - only on for an hour to warm the Bear Pit; I don't like the idea of sleeping on them (magnetic field n' all that) plus I don't find it's needed for any longer anyway.  That's a Tick.

Today?  Yup, more of the same.  I have an idea now.......

ION......

One for @iL Dottore iD:

Custard on Toast?  Genius.

https://www.bbcchildreninneed.co.uk/shows/appeal-show-2023/our-2023-show-highlights/puppets-take-over-the-masterchef-kitchen/

And Finally......

It seems it's Mickey's Birthday today** - the one with the ears that is; 95 today.

All together now.....

Emm Eye See Kay Eee Wye  Emm Ohh Yuu Ess Eee......

**Actually, it might just be the Bearmobile's Berfday** as well - must check the paperwork.....

(** If I'm right then the BM will be 7 today).

BG

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Ey up!

Up very early to move the old tumble drier (lasted 20 years now badgered) to allow a new super duper heat pump based one tobe fitted. Delivery window starts at 7am...

It'll be interesting to see if the latest jobbie lasts 20 years......

• Like 2
  • Agree 13

1 minute ago, Barry O said:

useless as a meat substitute

I'm not sure that's the intent.

I well remember hamburgers "with the works" at trendy Aussie locations (from the way back machine in the early 1980s) which insisted on bean sprouts (along with the mandatory, bacon, beetroot, fried egg and grilled pineapple ring).

Presumably the bean sprouts made the burger "healthy" through some magical transformative property. They were demonstrably the least healthy item given their propensity for carrying bacteria, given their growing environment.

• Like 15
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Lovely evening, low twenties not a cloud in the sky. Everyone around me seems to be BBQ'ing, the smell of fried onions is very cruel, I think  I'll have to go down the pub for a steak.

Tomorrow night is World Cup Final, it  starts here at the civilised hour of 7.30PM, may end at a very Monday-work Day unfriendly time though.

Our lads are making their  final preparations.

image.png.6c9be3dc21830bd41fb427fa0d63bebe.png

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 16

1 hour ago, Barry O said:

All 9f the car parks in the hospitals in Leeds (which are, as one unit, the biggest University training hospital in Europe) have card payment machines. When you exit the car park the gates let you out using an ANPR based system.. no queues to stuff a valid ticket in a machine. Recent experience shows it all works very well... and even makes sure that if you are just doing a "drop off/quick collect" of less than 30 minutes it's... free!

How did you go down here?!

image.png.5f4658531b87d7bc61cc5549a2b95873.png

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 7

6 minutes ago, pH said:

The first dryer we had in this house was about a year old when we got it and lasted another 24 years for us. When shopping for a replacement, one salesman told us that there was no way that a replacement would last as long. All other things being about equal, his honesty convinced us to buy from him!

I won’t say how long we’ve had the current dryer, as that would guarantee it failing tomorrow.

My washing machine is a New Zealand brand of all places. Apart from a micro-switch failing (which cost  $5 on Ebay)  I've not had an issue with it in 28 years.

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

19 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Kiss of death now...

Probably!   But here's the thing, it uses this "Smart Drive" technology where magnets or something replace the belt drive. It makes it capable of insane spin speeds but also  apparently makes it  in demand by DIY enthusiasts here.

I'm not sure what they use the drives for - time machines, ICBM control systems, @PupCamstyle telescope mounts, who knows!  But as long as that bit is still working I can sell it for a bit of cash.

Actually, I just googled it - wind turbines is just one...

https://www.siliconchip.com.au/Issue/2012/February/Converting+The+F%26P+SmartDrive+for+Use+As+A+.+.+.+Motor

Quote:  "those clever Kiwis!"  LOL.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1