The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Barry O said:

Yep.. nowt but a tracked box....

Bas

I suspected that you might have a comment Baz.  

It's blowing a right hoolie here.  We've actually shut the shutters that face south West to stop them banging and have wedged the utility room door with cardboard to stop it rattling.  The mercury barometer, yes a real one, is  steady at 29 1/2  inches. 

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Friendly/supportive 18

4 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

... There is another reason for hoping for a general election soon. It’s the inhumanity expressed by this headline: Suella Braverman says rough sleeping is ‘lifestyle choice’. ...

https://johncolby.wordpress.com/2023/11/04/covid-review-of-the-week-no-one-comes-out-well/

Sounds eerily similar to one of our recent PM's from 'that' side of the political spectrum who announced plans to cut spending on remote indigenous communities because living remotely on their ancestral lands in the  desert as they'd been doing for 60,000 years was a "lifestyle choice":

Tony Abbott has shrugged off the decision to close 150 Western Australian remote Indigenous communities, saying the taxpayer should not have to fund people’s “lifestyle choices”.

“What we can’t do is endlessly subsidise lifestyle choices if those lifestyle choices are not conducive to the kind of full participation in Australian society that everyone should have,” Abbott said during a visit to the historic city on Tuesday.

Lucky for us his party had kicked him out of the top job long before the pandemic because during that he also kept popping up unasked and opining that we needed to work out a cost model that compares COVID deaths with the cost of keeping the country isolated and locked down, since there should be a magic number that says its doing more economic  harm than good and when it hits that we should open everything up no matter what.

He's now in the UK, giving talks about how climate change is not happening, but if it is it is a good thing because less people will freeze to death or something.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 17

4 hours ago, DaveF said:

Surfers waiting for a wave

DId  you give them one? Looks like they'd have appreciated it, it all  looks pretty grim out there. 

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Sounds eerily similar to one of our recent PM's from 'that' side of the political spectrum who announced plans to cut spending on remote indigenous communities because living remotely on their ancestral lands in the  desert as they'd been doing for 60,000 years was a "lifestyle choice":

Tony Abbott has shrugged off the decision to close 150 Western Australian remote Indigenous communities, saying the taxpayer should not have to fund people’s “lifestyle choices”.

“What we can’t do is endlessly subsidise lifestyle choices if those lifestyle choices are not conducive to the kind of full participation in Australian society that everyone should have,” Abbott said during a visit to the historic city on Tuesday.

Lucky for us his party had kicked him out of the top job long before the pandemic because during that he also kept popping up unasked and opining that we needed to work out a cost model that compares COVID deaths with the cost of keeping the country isolated and locked down, since there should be a magic number that says its doing more economic  harm than good and when it hits that we should open everything up no matter what.

He's now back in his native UK, giving talks about how climate change is not happening, but if it is it is a good thing because less people will freeze to death or something.

He just needs a bit of polish.

image.png.b6ff4925212d6febd73541e74afc4ea3.png

• Funny 17

31 minutes ago, PupCam said:

What?   😀 This one?

image.png.2a9640d0ae22166dfad30f28de358f60.png

Bring back any memories?

image.png.260a0be9154669ca13ac014b5ce733ee.png

Great photographs!

Nanna Puppers used to smoke Craven A.    I believe the advertising used to go along the lines of "They are good for your throat".     I think they lied .....   As young children, Puppers and his slightly older sister used to have to walk around the corner to the local newsagents which had a great view of one of the stations on the Hertford Loop to buy Nan's cigarettes when visiting.  We were ~ 7 and 11 years old at the time.   Different times!    I'm very pleased to say the experience did not induce Puppers to smoke (or even lightly fume).

There are similar photographs of Puppers at such an age with a similar amount of hair.   Hair?   Yes, I remember that.

In Other Late News

I had another quick play with the telescope this evening on the front door step.    Jupiter was looking splendid in the sky and it would have been rude not to have a closer look.     The mount was very crudely polar aligned and was tracking  so some twit didn't keep moving it quite so quickly.    I'm still stunned by the sight of Jupiter and its 4 Galilean moons when viewed through even my modest telescope   All 4 were clearly visible and nicely spaced this evening.    I also had a quick go with astro-camera and failed once again to really get to grips with the exposure settings in the software so although I took a sequence of images they were all under exposed so the moons were not visible (not helped by imperfect focusing but that's another story) but with a bit of Tom-Foolery in Affinity Photo I managed to tease this not-very-good image of Jupiter itself.   As I say, it's not very good but I can distinctly see some bands on there which gives me hope for the future!

image.png.dd4f3ad07fc5e88a50c87d9a59a294c4.png

Night All!

I believe that if you ask nicely NASA will let you have a go with one of there's - the Hubble I think it's called.

• Funny 12

• RMweb Gold

Barometer now down to 956(ish).  'Personal record', if it goes much lower it'll be reading in the high 1060s...  Nothing cataclysmic is happening outside, it's cloudy so I can't check Jupiter out (got a cracking view Friday evening) but otherwise a fine evening.

• Like 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

4 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

The mercury barometer, yes a real one, is  steady at 29 1/2  inches.

The internet suggests that barometric pressure here is 29.84" (Hg) / 1010.5 mB / 102 kPa.

More rain is expected tomorrow. With rain in the last two days we're in a rainfall surplus* for the first time in many months.

* Since the 'rain year' began on October 1.

Calendar year precipitation remains a deficit.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

The internet suggests that barometric pressure here is 29.84" (Hg) / 1010.5 mB / 102 kPa.

More rain is expected tomorrow. With rain in the last two days we're in a rainfall surplus* for the first time in many months.

* Since the 'rain year' began on October 1.

Calendar year precipitation remains a deficit.

It seems to have eased off a bit now but it was whizzing down here for most of the day.

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Not raining but still a bit cloudy here.  Hoping for a dry day with some sunny spells.   8°C rising to 13°C.

We're hoping to get The Shed roof done today but a decision will be made around 09.30 about whether or not to go ahead.  Digits firmly crossed.

Time to take tea up to Herself.

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edit:  Blue sky is making an appearance.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium
On 03/11/2023 at 23:01, TheQ said:

A couple of Questions to MikeB or anyone else who has used the sumup or sumup solo system.

Do you have to use the unit regularly to keep the SIM "live"?

Can you identify using the system, what it was used for, ie on our bank statements? , we'd like to see each purchase marked as either, door, cafe, or S/H ( second hand sale).

We 'inherited' our first "Solo" unit from another club who had last used it in January, but after charging it up and re-registering the machine to our account, it worked perfectly in October so that was a gap of 9 months out of use. I have since bought a second machine so that we can use one for second hand sales and the other on the door. We run three swapmeets and one exhibition each year and as it obviously boosted sales it has been a worthwhile investment.

You do have the facility to type in what it has been used for and that will be shown on your summary sent as a PDF by email a couple of days later when the cash goes in the bank - however the amount into the bank will be the total transactions for that day so you need to keep your PDF sheets as evidence of what the card was used for. However even though we have this facility, we haven't actually used it as all transactions at the show last month were on the club sales stand (and the same at the swapmeets). In addition to the daily payout sheet, you also get a monthly summary and an invoice to show the total charges that have already been deducted (1.69%).

One thing I didn't mention is the ability to send a payment link to people. We had a lot of members who wanted to support the club by remaining as members but didn't come to the meetings or take any other active part in our activities. I was able to email them a renewal membership form and a link to the SumUp website where they entered their card number onto a secure site and that was their membership paid for. At no time do we see the card number or customer's name so if sending out these payment links you need to use their initials so that you know who has paid - such as Membership MB.

Hope that helps . . . . . . 

Mike

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. No interruptions from bladder control last night, visiting the bathroom before getting into bed was a good move, seven hours unbroken sleep. Now to get ready for the Rayleigh toy fair, be back later.

• Like 18