The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, The White Rabbit said:

And if anyone needed a/another reason to discourage foxes ...: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2023/oct/10/fox-news-why-the-cunning-beasts-are-causing-chaos-for-car-owners  There aren't many sightings in this street but other places locally do see a few. 

I read somewhere that dogs are attracted to brake fluid although it is highly poisonous. Foxes are members of the dog family so there may be a connection.

28 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

Simple way to deter Foxes from your garden, human urine round the boundaries, now this could be a bit smelly, but no worse than the smell of fox pee. You may also find there are a lot less annoyed neighbours and blue flashing lights if you pee in a bottle to dispense it rather than using draft............................

But it must be male urine. Thats why I can put my bin bags out the night before without worrying about foxes tearing them open.

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

But it must be male urine. Thats why I can put my bin bags out the night before without worrying about foxes tearing them open.

I fear that your disclosure is possibly TMI....

• Like 1
  • Funny 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

The NHL season started last night. In one game, the team that had the top pick in this year’s draft (Chicago) was playing a team (Pittsburgh) lead by one of the top players in the league.

The two players started the game by facing off against each other. Sidney Crosby is starting his 17th season in the league, this was  Conor Bedard’s first NHL game.

There was this nice moment from the ref:

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/tOPi7zL1jRU

• Like 15

21 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Both frequently a glycol based substance.  It tastes sweet but is certainly toxic to humans. Ethylene glycol was added to wine to sweeten it some years ago. When this was discovered it adversely affected that countries wine sales for years. 

If memory serves me right I think it was Austria but I might be wrong.

• Like 3
  • Agree 11
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

12 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

I got one of these a couple of years back, works great and also has power available from a cigarette lighter cable if the battery you're carrying is flat.

I have something similar, though your instrument looks nicer - particularly with the pressure display and probably works better. The one I have is quite slow in materially inflating the tyre on a car.

• Like 17

11 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

And spiders???
(asking for a friend…)

Perhaps, if the song that we all had to learn in 2nd grade to sing for our parents at speech night is a true account.

Kind of like "Jerusalem", but for little Aussies.. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 18

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, PMP said:

I don’t doubt or disagree with your professional experience. In all the training I have had on dealing with aircraft fuel related fires etc., is don’t use ‘water’ and try and deploy bunds if possible. In a fuel farm or airport apron that’s much easier than a multi storey car park with access ramps etc. There was a similar fire in the past few years in Scandinavia, with similar results. As I recall their investigation concluded that sprinklers may have helped, but wind speed and the lack

of compartments contributed to the spread of the fire. It apparently was burning for around 5 minutes before the first reaction which didn’t help, and no one used local extinguishers in an early preventative attempt. 
I’m lucky I guess in having some very limited fire training in dealing with fuel fires, most people haven’t and probably wouldn’t attempt an initial intervention, probably just film it for Tictok! I’d be hesitant to myself being totally honest, going safety first for myself and others as a priority.

For oil fires, foam blankets are very effective, application is critical and you don't just spray foam onto an oil fire but it's directed against bulkheads and such like to flow down and over the oil. Ships like oil tankers use foam smothering systems. When I worked in electricity generation we used high-fog in transformer bays outside, if the system is designed for the application they can be used outside.

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 10

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

Just make sure the wind is blowing in the right direction and there are no women or minors around when you do your nightly rounds......😉

Beer or lager in preparation?

I think the lager passes through faster, but the beer tastes better!

Moving on...

The bloke wot duz is slated to make another attempt to fit a moderately smart gas meter this morning.

Third time lucky?

Better pop down and read the old meter before he arrives!

Edited by Hroth
a bit more, and spelin
  • Like 17
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1