The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

I spent the morning at the computer, working on the artwork for the main control panel. This is now almost complete, all the track work is drawn, all that’s left to do is mark where the LEDs and switches will be located, then it’ll be ready for printing out. 

As it the norm for a Thursday, Charlie called round, but we didn’t go to the workshop today as he was going to meet a friend in Manchester and so left early to catch the 3 o’clock bus, so in the end he was only here for about 1 hour 15 minutes. 

Here’s a photo I took of the dust on the car. 
IMG_20230907_182021_Original.jpeg.fbf06fa3c413e80511242c915fcb8bff.jpeg

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

No, he was a real asset as he was one of the few electricians who was up to speed on the LPG tankers - that's how he was eventually missed as there was a bit breakdown on one.  Electricians were two-ring rank officers BTW.  A lot of the old time 'leckys' were OK on the cargo ships fiddling on with Ward-Leonard sets and stuff, but the control systems on modern LPG reliquifaction vessels were not exactly their cup of boiling butane.

stafford11.jpg.a63f3ef1be9f3a0215581bb6adfb69c0.jpg

I was always envious of leckies in P&O Containers, their working day seemed to consist of walking around with a multimeter and a fluorescent tube or doing important work on the hallowed ground of the lecky workshop then acting as the chiefs drinking partner. No nights onboard or watches and generally gave the duty engineer an ear bashing if they were called out of hours. Great life, I was only jealous.

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, skipepsi said:

A bit pale for Barnsley ?  Happy Birthday.

3 hours ago, DaveF said:

Happy birthday Erichill16.

That fish and chip looks delicious.

David

The batter is gluten free but non the worse for that except a bit pale. Swbo’s non gluten free version is to extreme right and you can see the different colour and texture. 
Not in Barnsley at the monent!

• Like 16

Such a lot of posts since this time yesterday. I make the tally 100 posts. 

Happily for me the second of two women's semi final tennis matches has only just begun. I hadn't expected to see much of it this evening. The first match was apparently delayed by some sort of protest - making a trifecta of the last three major tournaments.

The winner of the first semifinal said in a post-match interview that she had anticipated such a protest and it didn't bother her any differently than a rain delay.

EDIT:

I had forgotten the first game of the NFL season was on tonight. Remembering, I checked the score it was close with two minutes to go. There will be four months of football ahead, and three days of major tournament tennis. My choice is clear.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 17

37 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

What a dreadful article.

How is such a trans-Neptunian object "earth like"?  Because it is bigger? Do they mean rocky? Icy? or gas? Three times the Earth's size would be Uranus-like (Uranus being 4x the size of the earth). There will be nothing "earth-like" in a 500 AU orbit in the Kuiper Belt.

There are already many relatively dark trans-Neptunian objects detected* - Some of which are comparable in size to Pluto - which is the reason it was 'down-graded' not because it was a 'dwarf planet'.

* Bunches of them (more than 80!)

Mercury is ⅓ earth size where Pluto is one-fifth. Earth's moon is ¼ the earth's size.

The distinction had less to do with size and more to do with the pointlessness of having multiple more solar satellites designated as "planets". Pluto is more like them than the other so-called planets, and it has a weird orbit.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 3

1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Mercury is ⅓ earth size where Pluto is one-fifth. Earth's moon is ¼ the earth's size.

For what it is worth, in order of size, selected solar system satellites are:

Ganymede (Jupiter)

Titan (Saturn)

Mercury

Callisto (Jupiter)

Io (Jupiter)

Earth's moon

Europa (Jupiter)

Triton (Neptune)

Pluto

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 12

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, TheQ said:

Trailer loads of Oder de  cowshed being delivered to the field around us...

The field at the end of Bear Towers Avenue (which is a couple of hundred yards away at a guess) used to have Cows wandering about in it when Bear was a cub.  Now?  F. Houses 🤬

Only just built (@ £780K+ a pop - for a 3-bed), there is a pretty large green space in front of them - which still has a vehicle-sized access onto the road (where the farm gate used to be) and with no barriers/posts of any sort.  I wonder how long it'll be before......😉

2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I am amused by all your dirty car photographs. We had a similar result here a couple of times this summer.

Worse is ash fall from a wildfire - then wet. That happened to me in 2020. My car was covered in ash from a wildfire at this time of year. Shortly after that I drove to the coast in very heavy rain. The ash aggregated into tiny little lumps like little white pimples glued onto the paint.

Despite many washings they are still there. I imagine there is a way to remove them involving waxing and buffing and various treatments. On my 20 year-old vehicle I haven't found the enthusiasm.

I wonder if those deposits could be acidic?  Might be worth getting rid of them sooner rather than later.

Bear here......

Another member of the "pretty regular No. 1 at 4am club" here - which often means no more zeddin' afterwards; today I gave up at 05:10 - which isn't tooooo bad considering that when I was involved in that silliness known as "W*rk" I was crawling out of the pit at 04:30.  At least it means an early start, though on what I'm not actually sure at the moment; about the only confirmed booking for Bear's time is a load of washing.  Poo.

I also plan to juggle some gronkits to a different bunch of sharks (commonly referred to as a "Bank" here) in order to chase a bit more meagre interest.  Apart from that it's most definitely a MIUABGAD, apart from gazing into the Crystal Ball in search of clues as to whether or not Postie Pat (or Patricia) may finally show their face at Bear Towers.

BG 

• Like 19

5 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

What a dreadful article.

How is such a trans-Neptunian object "earth like"?  Because it is bigger? Do they mean rocky? Icy? or gas? Three times the Earth's size would be Uranus-like (Uranus being 4x the size of the earth). There will be nothing "earth-like" in a 500 AU orbit in the Kuiper Belt.

There are already many relatively dark trans-Neptunian objects detected* - Some of which are comparable in size to Pluto - which is the reason it was 'down-graded' not because it was a 'dwarf planet'.

* Bunches of them (more than 80!)

The distinction had less to do with size and more to do with the pointlessness of having multiple more solar satellites designated as "planets". Pluto is more like them than the other so-called planets, and it has a weird orbit.

isn''t the distinction something to do with having the gravitational pull to clear an orbit? Pluto did not qualify any longer because it and its moons revolve around one another as they orbit the sun. Ceres does not qualify because it is in the asteroid belt etc.

EDIT - and the others on the list in your second post are all satellites of other larger bodies so don't have not cleared their solar orbit.

Edited by The Lurker
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2