The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. I slept well again last night, six hours  with only one trip to the bathroom at four AM. Strangely it has often been within ten minutes of that time that I wake up needing to go. Not too many aches and pains this morning so no pills have been taken. A lot to do today so I'd better get on with it.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Winslow Boy said:

I have a terrible short term memory. It's not as bad as it used to be when I first got ill. Then I'd have to write things down so had a little note book. I've managed to train myself since then, but there are days when I'm lucky if I remember what day it is.

After the events of 13 14 years ago A Certain Bear is the same; much use of the Laptop Calendar reminder feature is made....

36 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

However, the star of last night's viewing was Chunk the groundhog and his family.

One of Chunk's buddies would make a fine addition to the back garden of Bear Towers.....

In other news....

Curtains hung, after first applying a bit splurge to various minor cosmetic cracks in the decor in the small bedroom.  That's a Tick.

BG

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

a plastic surgeon chum of mine told me how to recognise a fake pair at "normal viewing distances"

Like "a couple of beachballs" stuffed in their top?

The other wheeze is to accidentally trip them up and see if they bounce back to their feet...

• Funny 19

• RMweb Gold

Morning All

17 hours ago, Barry O said:

so  het indoors was sent an email from Jimmys (St James Hospital Leeds)  asking for feedback on her treatment...

STUPID CONSULTANTS...  after firing 2 HESH (High Explosive, Squash Head) rounds she has been guaranteed someone will contact her in the next 2 days.. If its not the insultants secretary booking an appointment they better be prepared to take a CHARM3 (DU round) somewhere personal! 

She cannot get comfortable and is now even larger (10+ months pregnant size) than last week....

Apparently the strike isn't about more pay .. the insultants want to se the NHS to be "safer" in other words they want to screw it over even more than they do now.....

Two faced or what?

Ranging Baz

Absolutely disgusting!         What is it with these people?

I maybe telling Granny to Suck eggs but worth a  reminder even if I am .......     

Make sure you keep a written record of all of your "transactions" with the health service.   You WILL NOT remember all of the twists and turns, incompetent cxckwombles, stupid crass suggestions from the not knowing and you never know when an accurate re-telling of events might be important.    My "Doctor Diary"  (10pt Word document) currently runs to something like 34 sides of A4 for my own sorry saga which is a mere nothing compared to yours.

11 hours ago, AndyID said:

Baz, that all seems unbelievably disgusting.

I strongly (and that's putting it mildly) suggest you immediately try to find an independent consultant in the UK or in any country that your wife might still be able to fly to. Max out the credit cards if that's what it takes. Now is not the time to worry about anything other than getting her the best possible diagnosis and treatment just as soon as possible.

I am a cancer survivor. I had an abnormal growth 40 years ago and had it not been for early detection and diagnosis it's unlikely I'd be posting this message today.

Andy

Agreed!

11 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Yes I spotted that as well. What was also interesting was the way everyone was dressed. Females in good/pricey dresses and blokes with ties and everything. There was also a bit of a slip up when they were counting down to the launch of the skyflash - I think? and one of the chaps responded with 'yes we're alright here Sheila' when the others had all said it more formally.

10 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

I was under the impression that since Skyflash was developed from the Sparrow  all the initial testing was at China Lake. The film also appeared a bit early for Skyflash as I was involved in some of the early firings at Aberporth and that wasn’t until the ‘80s.

3 hours ago, Barry O said:

Ey up!

Thanks forvyour support and suggestions regarding her indoors. Other routes to treatment are being investigated.. its just a case of getting past the "closed" shop prevalent in the medical profession.

@Dave Hunt yep that's what I thought too, it does say Skylark on the film.

tTreforest I started the development of a missile would involve it receiving a name with a colour prefix. So there was Red Duster ( which I think, became Bloodhound)..

There must be a list of such development names.. 

The film took me back to my days at St Evenage preparing for live testing of actuationsystems using mechanite 14 propellant.  Scary but very interesting to a junior engineer.

Today we await the promised communication from god the insultants...

Time to have my tea.

TTFN

Baz

Yes the missile in the video is a Fairey Fireflash (always reminds me of the Thunderbirds "Fireflash lift port wing" episode although that was of course an aircraft).

As Dave suggests, Skyflash was a UK development of the US Sparrow missile with a new semi-active homing head amongst other things and by all accounts a pretty good thing it was too for the time.      A later active version was proposed and was under development but eventually, like so many projects, was cancelled and never came to fruition.   As Bear suggested on TNM don't believe all you read on the internet ......

9 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Look at all the model building I've done since Monday night! . (If you ignore the weeks of CAD that it took to draw them up.....)

image.png.3afd37cc92537bab25615b037ce695ce.png

I'm all for  model-building  that you can do while you are away at work or asleep. Just press a button and a model rises from the  goo.

"Print me some more, modelling slave!"

And this is a 3D printers party piece. I got it free off the internet, and it is printed  in one piece as shown here.. After curing it was just a case of gently easing the motion back and forth until the parts freed up  and it became a fully operational V8 block, there's even  a Phillips head slot in the flywheel so you can attach an electric screwdriver to it and really let it rip.  5 stars!

image.png.bccefd7777ac722d118a658243153ab7.png

image.png.3c9ae9508d17311c89006c2121c21c53.png

Excellent stuff!      I have to say I think 3D printing is an excellent addition to the modelling toolbox.  I don't subscribe to the "if it's not whittled from a bit of 200 year old oak or sheet brass using traditional tools carved from rhino horn it's not PROPER modelling".    No, horses for courses, use the best, most suitable, convenient tools and materials available at the time.     I remember when etched brass kits first came out and some manufacturers used many laminations of 10 thou etched brass  to build up chunky 3D shapes - absolutely ridiculous and futile.

In Other News

Not a lot other than cheap telescopes continue to frustrate ....

TTFNQ

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Am I being unkind and jumping to conclusions? 

I've just boarded my flight to LCY and ahead of  me is, what I can only conclude, is a shoshul meeja "influencer" The evidence?

> fake tan

> fake nails
> fake boobs (trust me on this: a plastic surgeon chum of mine told me how to recognise a fake pair at "normal viewing distances")

> too tight "designer" jeans and crop top

> fake YSL carry on luggage

> loadsa gold(ish) bangles and chains 

> vacuous "look at me, I'm an "influencer" expression

Mind you, I could be wrong (but I doubt it).

Wrong?  Very possibly.

I feel that a photo is in order so that the wisdom(?) of fellow ER'ers can be sought......

• Agree 1
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, polybear said:

Wrong?  Very possibly.

I feel that a photo is in order so that the wisdom(?) of fellow ER'ers can be sought......

I don't think so, the poor thing sounds like a typical "Love Island" participant...

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

I’ve never watched Love Island so I will defer to your expert knowledge🥴

Dave

You mean you've never had the incessant trailers exposed to your unprotected eyeballs when a new series is to be broadcast?  Personally, I can't imagine why anyone would want to see a sad bunch of narcissists pratting about...

• Agree 14

• RMweb Premium

The place for true connoisseurs of surgically enhanced ladies is the Republic of Korea, women there seem obsessed by achieving the perfect look and plastic surgeons must be beating clients off with sharp pointy sticks, but I have to say they're very good at it and they avoid the Essex chique  and mutton dressed as lamb looks of many...ahem...enhanced ladies.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 9

6 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

No, that will just encourage the’ look at me’ behavior. 

I don't think our Swiss correspondent would object too strongly especially if we said we'd only put it on this website and that it would only be his good side.

• Funny 13

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Hroth said:

You mean you've never had the incessant trailers exposed to your unprotected eyeballs when a new series is to be broadcast?  Personally, I can't imagine why anyone would want to see a sad bunch of narcissists pratting about...

No, I don't watch Parliamentary debates either🤣

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 18

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Personally, I can't imagine why anyone would want to see a sad bunch of narcissists pratting about...

That’s why I never watch the Parliament channel.

Dave

PS  I see that jjb1970 beat me to it.

Edited by Dave Hunt
Adding PS
  • Like 1
  • Agree 15
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Today's treat was two pairs of F-15 Strike Eagles go over the cruise terminal and Marina Bay low and fast, making an awful lot of noise. F-15's are a common sight over the bay but normally they're on approach to Paya Lebar and so quite slow and restrained. It's much less common for them to give it the beans over the central area, splendid!

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

55 minutes ago, polybear said:

Wrong?  Very possibly....

Wrong? I am never wrong; although I do admit that sometimes I come to erroneous conclusions based on incomplete data.

As for your photographic request, I can neither provide nor would I provide any photos: I can't provide any - because I didn't take any; and I wouldn't provide any, because these ghastly creatures tend to adore this sort of  free publicity.

• Like 14

55 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

We should be searching our social media apps to look for someone posting “you cannot believe who is sitting in front of  me!” 

Thete, corrected that for you!🤣

Actually, Tony, she was sitting behind me. I was travelling in business class (part of my trip is work-related - so I was up at the pointy end) whilst she was in economy.

These "influencers" may fool people with their fake this and knock off that, but a fake business class ticket doesn't cut the mustard!

• Like 14

36 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

The place for true connoisseurs of surgically enhanced ladies is the Republic of Korea, women there seem obsessed by achieving the perfect look and plastic surgeons must be beating clients off with sharp pointy sticks, but I have to say they're very good at it and they avoid the Essex chique  and mutton dressed as lamb looks of many...ahem...enhanced ladies.

Although the popular image of a plastic surgeon is that a tall, tanned, individual with a handsome rugged lived in face, immaculately coiffured hair and perfect Hollywood teeth who spends his entire working day enhancing acres of tanned female flesh by tummy tucking, breast enhancing and buttock lifting all who can afford his astronomical fees, the reality is something quite different.

My plastic surgeon chum (who unfortunately I haven't seen for quite a long time) told me that he spent 90%+  of his time doing reconstructive surgeries:from repairing cleft palates to post mastectomy reconstruction (not to mention all the work he did with burn patients).

Short and stocky with uncontrollable curly hair, he also had (for a surgeon) quite the sense of humour. Once, back when $20,000 was really a lot of money, I asked him what, if I gave him $20,000 , could he do for me in terms of enhancement He lLooked at me very slowly ,professionally evaluating the situation , sadly shook his head and said "absolutely nothing"

• Like 2
  • Funny 13
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Thete, corrected that for you!🤣

Actually, Tony, she was sitting behind me. I was travelling in business class (part of my trip is work-related - so I was up at the pointy end) whilst she was in economy.

These "influencers" may fool people with their fake this and knock off that, but a fake business class ticket doesn't cut the mustard!

If she was behind you, then you were definitely at the "pointy end".

As it were...

• Funny 13

• RMweb Premium

When I went to the car to take Sheila to her zumba class, it and every other car on the street was covered in the Sahara rain, pah. 

• Friendly/supportive 19

• RMweb Premium

The tarmacking was done just before dinner. All that's left now is for someone to come along and remove the barriers and hole cover plate. 

• Like 17