The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

This sign was on the way to work this morning. I'm not sure what the scenario was since it was all over by the time that I passed through, but I wonder at the situation that meant someone thought they needed (and had the time) to write out a sign and then colour it in pink.

On-site open-heart surgery, Flying Doctors evacuation..., who knows. 

Untitled.png.d40850657dde3df1598e5e974fc2ce73.png

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

22 hours ago, polybear said:

I believe the Ruskies favour them for use in certain Aircraft, such as long range Bombers as they are less prone/immune to the effects of a Nuclear Blast, whereas IC's etc. can get very upset by it all.

While there are references like the quote below to support the assertion, it's very hard to imagine something requiring an electric field in vacuum would not be susceptible to a nuclear EMP - particularly from more 'modern' devices.

Older, vacuum tube (valve)-based equipment is generally much less vulnerable to nuclear EMP than solid state equipment, which is much more susceptible to damage by large, brief voltage and current surges. Soviet Cold War-era military aircraft often had avionics based on vacuum tubes because solid-state capabilities were limited and vacuum-tube gear was believed to be more likely to survive.

It makes me wonder if it's not a bit of a cold war old wives' tale.

The suggestion that they weren't destroyed, but could be reused after the event is a meaningful distinction. I doubt they would function flawlessly during the event.

Oops: Andy covered it already.

21 hours ago, AndyID said:

Probably a load of complete borlocks.

Sometimes it's hard to play catch up.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 10
  • Funny 5

17 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Alexa “Initiate Self Destruct”. 

"Destruct sequence 1, code 1 1 A."

"Destruct sequence 2, code 1 1 A 2 B."

"Destruct sequence 3, code 1 B 2 B 3."

The computer would then reply: "Destruct sequence completed and engaged. Awaiting final code for (time interval) countdown."

The commanding officer would then state:

"Code zero zero zero. Destruct. Zero."

Perhaps that is obscure to some. This will help.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 8

On 04/09/2023 at 08:40, PhilJ W said:

Cannibalism at the burning man festival?

No. Silly hyperbolic article.

On 04/09/2023 at 08:56, woodenhead said:

Burning Man 2023 is the actual prequel to Mad Max 😁

I found this op-ed interesting.

CNN: Opinion: Be careful when you laugh at Burning Man

It is (as thoughtfully pointed out) a canary in the coal mine / cautionary tale, for a number of things, almost a literal bonfire of the vanities.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

"Destruct sequence 1, code 1 1 A."

"Destruct sequence 2, code 1 1 A 2 B."

"Destruct sequence 3, code 1 B 2 B 3."

The computer would then reply: "Destruct sequence completed and engaged. Awaiting final code for (time interval) countdown."

The commanding officer would then state:

"Code zero zero zero. Destruct. Zero."

Perhaps that is obscure to some. This will help.

Sounds pretty straightfoward, unlike this lot of bozos....

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Sunny start, very warm and has been all night.  Another hot and humid day forecast.  20°C now possibly rising to 32°C .

Thurs/Sains,Bins/day.

No bin lorries yet and Sainsbury have notified us of one unavailable item.  I suspect we will survive.

Tea has been taken up to the Boss and no spiders were harmed in the process.

I suspect I will be staying mainly undercover today, either in The Shed or back in the house.

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl,

5 hours sleep. Some intermittent dozing after..

Ben the I'm getting impatient waiting Collie, took me on patrol, when I wandered off route to look at some planned gardening. He just stood there and refused... Not his route, not till I came back did he carry on with his snuffle.

There was a large 1.5 inch + spider in a bin SWMBO was using for wool waste yesterday, no help was given for it to escape it's shiny sided construction .

The wool waste was from her newly bought drum carder, I recovered many brownie points by stripping it down for a full clean and rebuilding it successfully.

Came across a history of this drum carder online. Seemingly it was produced by a guy who was unhappy with drum carders available at the time in 1978. He was an engineer so designed this one , and put it into production making over 3000 over just under 30 years. SWMBO's has a plate stating number 962 made in 86.

I'm getting hints on wanting it electrified, should be easy enough other than getting a cog wheel to fit on the drive motor shaft that fits the 180XL037 drive belt. Lots of research needed on that.

Radars had colours in their development names, I've worked on or with Blue Yeoman, Green Ginger, Green Garlic and others

I remember going into the teachers common room, that one with the cigarette smoke pouring out of the open windows. Actually it was a classroom with old sofas and arm chairs in it, and a table in the corner with a tea urn on it. For us pupils the common room was outside. You weren't allowed in the buildings at break time whatever the weather.

The teachers common room still had its blackboard, the rotary rubber type, and on it was the teachers time table all chalked out..

Plan for today. 

Cut back sideshow Bob ( aka Berberis Purpura)  won't manage all of it today, it's about a week's work to do all of it.

Work will cease when I'm too hot and or too tired.

Time for breaky

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, Hroth said:

Its how it got over the "ton"...

Is that when they feed pulverised coal into the afterburner. 

Good moaning from a warm Charente. 

Hedges tcut so need to get going.

Thoughts with Baz and Mrs Baz, bon courage. If you want to chai saw any re eptionists or their bosses I could bring one over. Cutti g the desk in half might attract their attention. 

Jamie

• Like 17

15 hours ago, Barry O said:

so  het indoors was sent an email from Jimmys (St James Hospital Leeds)  asking for feedback on her treatment...

STUPID CONSULTANTS...  after firing 2 HESH (High Explosive, Squash Head) rounds she has been guaranteed someone will contact her in the next 2 days.. If its not the insultants secretary booking an appointment they better be prepared to take a CHARM3 (DU round) somewhere personal! 

She cannot get comfortable and is now even larger (10+ months pregnant size) than last week....

Apparently the strike isn't about more pay .. the insultants want to se the NHS to be "safer" in other words they want to screw it over even more than they do now.....

Two faced or what?

Ranging Baz

It would seem, given the current totally unacceptable state of affairs (which would be totally unacceptable wherever medicine is practiced), that the best solution would be to take Mrs Baz to the A&E unit of a large or teaching hospital (not where she went before) and claim that she is in unbearable pain due to the untreated mass (exaggeration here is necessary). At the very least they will need to do some sort of workup - which is likely to be more informative and likely to lead to better treatment than what she's had so far.

I wouldn't be so harsh on the consultants - they're working in a toxic corporate "woke" tick-box culture that prizes treating patients to meet targets rather than treat patients to meet medical need. Chances are that the consultants have been told by management to "prioritise" other patients (an aspect of NHS corporate culture that was investigated and the results published in a recent journal article)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 14

1 hour ago, Barry O said:

Ey up!

Thanks forvyour support and suggestions regarding her indoors. Other routes to treatment are being investigated.. its just a case of getting past the "closed" shop prevalent in the medical profession.

@Dave Hunt yep that's what I thought too, it does say Skylark on the film.

tTreforest I started the development of a missile would involve it receiving a name with a colour prefix. So there was Red Duster ( which I think, became Bloodhound)..

There must be a list of such development names.. 

The film took me back to my days at St Evenage preparing for live testing of actuationsystems using mechanite 14 propellant.  Scary but very interesting to a junior engineer.

Today we await the promised communication from god the insultants...

Time to have my tea.

TTFN

Baz

I did put a ? after the name as I wasn't certain I'd heard/remembered it correctly. I have a terrible short term memory. It's not as bad as it used to be when I first got ill. Then I'd have to write things down so had a little note book. I've managed to train myself since then, but there are days when I'm lucky if I remember what day it is.

• Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Gold

It was foggy during the night but by this morning it had lifted and there has been a very light shower.  It is now dull, very humid but only 15C.  It feels quite unpleasant.

I slept a bit better having only one longish spell awake thoughI suspect I may have dropped off for a while in the middle of it.  I shall be glad when the after effects of the infection go away and the iritation in my wind pipe dies down.  It looks as though I may have to take some of the new antihistamines to settle it.

There's not much planned for today, just a trip to church, then it will depend on the weather.  I thought about some garage tidying so I can move some shelves but it is too sticky - and it is forecast to be hot over the weekend so it can wait until it is cool enough to things without feeling baked.

I may end up just sitting reading and relaxing, it might do me good.

David

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 3

11 minutes ago, DaveF said:

I thought about some garage tidying so I can move some shelves but it is too sticky - and it is forecast to be hot over the weekend so it can wait until it is cool enough to things without feeling baked.

My current plan too, though installing shelving waits upon the completion of tidying....

• Like 15

Woke up to the sound of rain in South Manchester too, it's in that inbetween bit currently - cloud thinning to haze and sun beginning to shine.  Work meeting at 9 - those in the south of the country are getting ice creams delivered to the office, those of us who work from home have to make our own trips outside if we want one.

I spent some time last night watching the proceedings in Fulton County, and whilst difficult to follow it's so much more refreshing to hear just legal arguments over bluster and hyperbole.  However, the star of last night's viewing was Chunk the groundhog and his family.

• Like 15