The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

The hot summer temperatures of Saturday are forgotten. The week ahead looks nice with temperatures in the mid-20s°C.

YOu say that like its a  pleasant reprieve........

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

its predicted to drop a bit but we've got temperatures in the mid twenties at least until next week.

And YOU say that like its hell on earth!

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Funny 18

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, monkeysarefun said:

And YOU say that like its hell on earth!

It is, if you've spent enough years in the UK, the advent of September (once the back-to-school week is done and dusted) then a gradual decline towards 16C through the month is much appreciated...

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, DaveF said:

t's 11C in Northumberland too, a glorious blue sky - well a tiny bit of cloud in the far south, it looks like being nice and warm.  There will be a sea breeze later so it shouldn't get too hot.

It was very warm away from that sea breeze.

We ended up at Wallington.  It was uncomfortable in the open but a walk through the woods and along the riverbank proved very pleasant indeed.

I have been up into the loft and opened all of the windows as I plan to spend tomorrow up there doing something unmentionable.

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

39 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

You say that like its a  pleasant reprieve...

It will be. We've had mostly "above normal" for the summer. We used to have delightful summers. Dry after July 5, and above 30°C only on the warmest days. This year the 'dry' started at the end of May. It 'feels' much hotter than it did when I moved here 25 years ago.

The evidence suggests that it is:

This is a interesting pictorial view of how much we see temperatures over 90°F / 32°C.

The bigger reprieve has been the precipitation. Not much today despite the grey overcast and dim light. It was raining very lightly a few minutes ago. It seems to have stopped. We have a month to catch up on our total rainfall deficit of 35mm for the 'rain year'.

It appears that the rain I saw during Saturday night's thunderstorm did not appear in the bucket at the official recording station at the airport.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 6

2 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

It will be. We've had mostly "above normal" for the summer. We used to have delightful summers. Dry after July 5, and above 30°C only on the warmest days. This year the 'dry' started at the end of May. It 'feels' much hotter than it did when I moved here 25 years ago.

The evidence suggests that it is:

This is a interesting pictorial view of how much we see temperatures over 90°F / 32°C,

No doubt  at some time some Fox News type has   singled out July 31 1938 as proof that hot weather is not new. 

• Like 9
  • Agree 1

Yet another gender reveal fatality in the news - this time in Mexico.

These things really are a bad idea. There's nothing wrong with pink or blue food dye in the cake if people must have a 'gender reveal'.

CNN: Plane crashes during gender reveal

The video is a bit nasty. The port-side wing falls off, apparently as the pilot pulls up - after dropping pink 'stuff' on the party. Presumably this was a crop dusting aircraft that was about to fail catastrophically anyway but still.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Friendly/supportive 15

10 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

the Cosmonaut’s 50 kopek lead pencil

Was there a special sealed cannister pencil sharpener so cosmonauts weren't inhaling all the graphite shavings floating around every time they sharpened the pencil?

Of course NASA would have designed a vacuum one.

• Funny 17

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Our chairs and sofas at home are quite comfortable. We spent a lot of time choosing them. We found them by accident, we were in a shop looking at carpet samples and suddenly realised the sofa we were sitting on was comfortable for both of us. 

Were there a lot of fish around by any chance? 😉

If so then you'll not get carpet from them again - they've stopped selling it ☹️

1 hour ago, Coombe Barton said:

... trying to do something about teaching ratios, proportions and percentages. Yes, we have to ...

https://johncolby.wordpress.com/2023/09/04/still-going-up-testing-to-be-scaled-up/

RAAC reminds me rather a lot of lightweight breeze blocks - whilst the latter (hopefully....) shouldn't have been used for similar structural situations I do wonder if there are problems that'll come back to haunt us?  They've been rather popular in house building for a lot of years now.

Bear here.....

Yet more cleaning  ☹️ - a Very Big Tick Day cos' I've now done 95%+ of the smallest bedroom (= the last room to do); just the window & frame to do tomorrow, plus a bit of damp cloth wiping down of woodwork & fitted wardrobes.

Whilst this was going on I spotted that one of the drive gates was partially open - on investigation I discovered yet another Amazon delivery left outside - although this time they'd at least made an effort to place it discretely rather than dumped in plain view on the doorstep.  It's possible they rung the doorbell and I never heard it as I've been using Mickey the Miele "rather a lot" today.

But when I unpacked it (a plastic storage box that I plan to use for the sewing stuff that was in the cabinet) I spotted that one corner was badly cracked 🤬  Piggin' Turdycurses.  So I reported it straight away and a new one was delivered around 6pm - and actually handed to me after ringing the bell.  Stunned - I actually mentioned it made a nice change to the guy delivering it; the broken one gets collected by RM tomorrow - that's one sale that The Big River won't be making a lot of profit on.

Bear Gone

Edited by polybear
  • Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, PupCam said:

In Other News

I tried to phone @polybear's  Izzy 2 today but there was no reply.     Either Izzy 2 has got the 'ump  or Bear was dangling from a vacuum cleaner at the time.

Oops.  Highly likely that danglin' was in progress....

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, polybear said:

Were there a lot of fish around by any chance? 😉

If so then you'll not get carpet from them again - they've stopped selling it ☹️

Pools of fish in fact. I am not surprised about them no longer selling carpet. The final quote for the supply and fitting was ridiculous. The furniture price and delivery was fine. 
Has the bear cave been furnished from that business?

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1