The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

17 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

The only thing I would advise the would-be travellers to Japan, is to check the type of bed you will be sleeping in. So far I have spent a number of nights on the floor ... as I have been staying in traditional Ryokan.

A former colleague shared his two-bedroom apartment/flat (in the US) with a fellow university alumnus* and his Japanese wife. That couple slept in traditional Japanese style (on the floor). They were relatively young at the time 30ish but it remains hard to imagine, given the other alternatives available.

* A US native and ethnically of European descent.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

This might be of interest to people who haven’t seen typical North American building construction. New apartments are being built near us. This is the basic structure of the building ‘skeleton’ consisting of stud walls:

IMG_2059.jpeg.c29f24e438c47ccfcd2afd0a6f3a86aa.jpeg

which are then clad in plywood:

IMG_2061.jpeg.6268dc0a10e1cb51a17aa9b93658479d.jpeg

and some form of decorative facing (non-structural) will be added to that.

The concrete floors at the bottom are the parking for the building. This is usually completely underground, but with the sloping site here, it’s just partly underground. There will eventually be six timber floors on top of the concrete. The allowed number of timber floors in buildings like this has only recently been increased from four to six.

However, the allowed height of all-wood buildings has increased massively in recent years, using a form of construction called mass timber construction:

https://www.naturallywood.com/topics/mass-timber/

where engineered wood components are constructed off site then assembled into the building. The tallest mass timber building at present is this 25-storey tower in Milwaukee:

https://www.thorntontomasetti.com/project/ascent

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

10 minutes ago, pH said:

The tallest mass timber building at present is this 25-storey tower in Milwaukee:

Local architects are following the "plyscraper" developments with great interest. The Carbon12 building in Portland was completed in 2018. At 26m / 8 storeys, it was the tallest 'glulam' / cross-laminated timber framed high rise in the US for a little while. A different, 12 storey project was cancelled in 2018.

PDX is building a massive new 'glulam' roof. I think it is supposed to be finished next year.

• Informative/Useful 9

• RMweb Premium

And with such construction methods, is it any wonder at the destruction when a tornado rattles through? 

Less common in Canada I know but climate change will tend to push these sorts of storms further north - and that includes the UK.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2

6 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

PDX is building a massive new 'glulam' roof. I think it is supposed to be finished next year.

I’ve just had a look at the in-progress pictures of that - I like it. There used to be a pretty standard design for Safeway stores here in Greater Vancouver. It may have been  used in other areas, too. It used curved glue-lam beams to span the whole width of the store:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/29916553@N02/8373066519

I don’t know of any that remain as Safeway stores, but there are still some in existence being used for other purposes. 

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 4

2 hours ago, Andy Hayter said:

And with such construction methods, is it any wonder at the destruction when a tornado rattles through? 

Less common in Canada I know but climate change will tend to push these sorts of storms further north - and that includes the UK.

It is best to avoid traditional brick masonry in the Pacific Northwest. Timber framing is much better at earthquake resistance than bricks. Timber wobbles and brick walls break and fall on top of people.

There are tornadoes in the Pacific Northwest but they are not common and when they appear are usually EF0 and don't damage well-built structures. Much in terms of wind-storm protection can be improved by using screws instead of nails to attach roofing. A lot of cyclone/hurricane-proofing research was done in Queensland to determine this - where they found that the wind under the eaves creates a lot of upward pressure to lift the roof off.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
Spelling
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 14

2 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Evening all

Several days-worth not read. Apologies if I have missed matters of import. 

“What We Did On Our Holiday” has taken on something of a new meaning.  It seems we shall (still subject to inspection and contract) be making the Great Move West quite soon. We honestly did not set out to buy a house!   The agent’s board outside now says Sold STC and other events are in play. 

The Hill of Strawberries is closing down. We received email notification that the block is being sold off flat by flat and in order to do this each tenancy is being ended under s.21 legislation in order for a full renovation to occur before sale. 

Door opens in front of us; door closes behind us. The sensible option is to walk the path between and deal with any obstacles if or when they arise. 

After some serious anxiety and minor dramas Dr. SWMBO is also now cheerfully referring to the cottage as “our new home”. The Distant (Signal) West will be cleared and open on a date to be advised. 

I have, aside from that, been having far too much fun. 

Last night, Mazey Eve, saw me in Penzance taking part in the torchlight procession, singing and dancing which marks midsummer. Today being Mazey Day I was back in town for the parades, atmosphere, funfair and more music. 

Tomorrow we return to the Hill and - provided all goes well - we can start the process of culling, packing and figuring out the future employment arrangements. Plan A has me retiring and moving west permanently around late September. Dr. SWMBO will start the search for work and (unless successful meantime) will also seek a rental room for use midweek near to Kew and travel up and back weekly with actual days to be negotiated. There are Plans B to E as well. 

Quite an eventful two week holiday and one which means that after tonight our next night in Cornwall should be in our own home. We shall of course keep in touch with our friend at whose farm we have stayed for the past 20 or so years. She will only be 3 miles away in future, not 350 nor 12500

IMG_3975.jpeg.b3959c2f322757814225babdf7655062.jpeg

IMG_4003.jpeg.61674ab4efcb6aa222f2e7156723b564.jpeg

IMG_3951.jpeg.143db1949c80604856482dda3853740f.jpeg

IMG_3954.jpeg.3f0addf8b1acfa3addbd842994e71f47.jpeg

Ah that would explain the fireworks I heard earlier. Could the good Dr memsahib not consider the Eden Project?

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Andy Hayter said:

If I lived on the 8th floor of a wood building here  I wouldn't get any sleep, I'd be too busy listening out for the sound of munching white-ants.

Maybe this one would be ok, a) it's in the colder less termite-y region and b) the wood bit is on-top of an original concrete tower.

https://www.archdaily.com/959428/55-southbank-boulevard-bates-smart

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

42 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

I'd be too busy listening out for the sound of munching white-ants.

The traditional Queenslander style was built on wooden pilings. Of course, back in the day, the pilings were treated with creosote, but there was a metal cap on the top of each one (like an inverted pie plate) underneath the hangers/joists of the sub-flooring to help mitigate termites getting into the structure.

It required a lot of jacking, but the pilings could be replaced.

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

In the UK modern housing is built with a brick skin, sometimes built first, sometimes built after the wooden core.

This 1906 house has all brick internal walls.

On the Norfolk Broads many older properties were built on timber piles, but they rot at the soil interface, even with gallons of creosote.. so they too were regularly jacked up, today they use steel piles. ( Galvanised or Corten steel)

The current sailing club building is on horizontal railway sleepers, portacabins aren't supposed to last 60 years as they will be next year. They are sorting some legal technicalities on the club's status, when done we'll have a couple of years upheaval as the building will be replaced with the new one on steel piles.

Mooring Awl,

2.5 hours sleep, too hot, came down stairs, on wandering into living room, stood on one of Ben's squeaky toys, upset right ankle, nearly fell over, went to kitchen took pink pills and cold drink. About four hours more sleep but with several wake up and turn overs. Will try for more sleep shortly.

Right ankle now very stiff.

Ben spent most of the night sleeping on the floor under an open window.

We live of course on the edge " poppyland" there are large quantities of them currently flowering by the road sides and in fields at the moment.

I see Putin's "rebel" is retiring to Belarus with all charges dropped, I suspect he'll accidentally fall out of a hospital window sometime soon.

Meant to say yesterday had my straw sun hat knocked off by the boom, thought I'd lost it, but then I heard a voice behind me.. we've got your hat!! By pure chance one of the rescue boats was just behind me and picked it up.

Time to, try for that sleep.

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

The Wagner Group event is very curious, almost stage managed. There was the rapid advance without any apparent resistance up the road to Moscow, Putins bombastic "stabbed in the back" address to the nation/media and then suddenly it appears to have been resolved.

I'm inclined to think that it was a ruse, planned from the top, to try and get Ukraine forces to over-extend themselved, with the side effect of putting a loose cannon in a difficult position..

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium

Good moaning from the Charente.  Due to get to 30 degrees again today. Yesterday was a it sticky and we did end up in the pool for a good while. 

Events in Russia are interesting to say the least. Don't suppose we will ever know the full story. Wagner group have fi gers in other pies and are not a very pleasant set of people. I did read somewhere that they are involved in the unpleasantness in Sudan.  

This morning we will head for the market. Then no doubt not a lot will be done as It wilbe rather warm. 

Jamie

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, TheQ said:

In the UK modern housing is built with a brick skin, sometimes built first, sometimes built after the wooden core.

This 1906 house has all brick internal walls.

The last house we owned in the UK had been built in 1938 and was one of the last built with single-skin brick external walls.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2

40 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Events in Russia are interesting to say the least. Don't suppose we will ever know the full story.

There is a school of thought that I have heard expressed, that the 'renegade' general says/does things with the blessing of his master in castle K, that his master cannot do/say (to maintain appearances concordant with his station).

The 'truth', who knows?

• Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

A nice bright morning but apparently it will not be as warm as yesterday, I don't mind that at all.  I don't mind heat, just not together with high humidity.

My house which was built in 1980 has the traditional brick outer walls with breeze blocks inside, I had cavity insulationadded many years ago.  The internal walls are the usual lightweight wood and plasterboard.

Today should be the usual phone calls and e mails, then a visit to church.  After that I've no idea as showers and/or steady rain are forecast for later, possibly with thunder.  I don't think there will be much gardening.  I won't go to the beach, I expect the car park will be full quite early.

David

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Blue sky, sunshine and hot already although there is a light breeze which is welcome.  A very hot, dry, sunny day is promised. Currently 22°C and may reach 32°C.  

There will be no gardening done here apart from some watering this evening.  I've been watering a friend's garden all week and on his return from Greece yesterday he presented me with a bottle of "Grouse" as a thank you!  Absolutely no need for that but it will be looked after and treated with some love.

Judging by the heat in The Shed yesterday it will be even hotter today so no chance of any muddling.

My 1926 house has 9" solid brickwork but that hasn't stopped canvassers trying to flog me cavity wall insulation.  I had new double glazing fitted 4 years ago and it still looks like new but the idiots still ask if I want it replacing.

A lazy day indoors with all fans running seems to be on the agenda and of course there will shortly be a leisurely interlude whilst I surround eggs, bacon, sausage etc.  It is Sunday after all. 

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Rest day after my long day yesterday. 4 miles of walking involved. Cricket tea was okish.

Warm and sunny but thunder storms are arriving after lunch.. pah!

Stay safe!

Baz

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Ah that would explain the fireworks I heard earlier. Could the good Dr memsahib not consider the Eden Project?

Still a long commute, I was going to suggest the same until I looked at the map.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, grandadbob said:

.......he presented me with a bottle of "Grouse" as a thank you!  Absolutely no need for that......

This is us you're talkin' to GDB......🤣

• Agree 1
  • Funny 11