The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, zarniwhoop said:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but I go to the relevant first-level page (e.g. wheeltappers for ERs) and look at what shows up with a bold title. On many first-level pages I can see a non-bold item on the first page which I have looked at, so I know that all the newer stuff is above that. For places where I haven't looked for a few days I might have to go back a few pages. Then I look at the new threads to see which sound interesting, and click on the circle or star to the left of the title to get to the page with the first unread item. (circles are where I have not pasted in the thread, stars are where I have posted at least once).

Different people use the site in different ways and I would not want to criticise anyone for the way they use it.  If it works for you, that's all that matters.

For myself:  I have a quite wide range of interests, so doing things your way would be a bit laborious.   View new content brings up all new posts in bold followed by older posts in un-bolded text.   I quickly see new posts in the wide range of topics that I follow.  I also pick up on some topics that I might well otherwise have missed - for example a layout centred around one of my interests might be posted in the group that interests me - for example "French Railways" but it might equally be posted under the layouts group, which is an area I rarely visit.  

Now if you have a relatively narrow range of interests, my method will probably be just as laborious to you as your way is to me with my very wide range of interests.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I do the same.

Discussion is about this button on the right:

image.png.98771c443ca066b380174b95850ac191.png

I'd forgotten about the 'on the right' part. Did something ages ago to get rid of it, and have now forgotten the details. Probably only available to subscribers.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

£20 k bought us a 3 bed semi, with interest rates at around 15 percent, but I was only bringing home just under a £100 a week, cash(do you remember that stuff).

I'm sure that the figures are out there but I wonder what % of a wage went on mortgages for similar properties back then compared to today.

• Like 3
  • Agree 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold

We bought a £11600 3 bed semi in 1977. We had a 95% mortgage. In those days endowment mortgages were common and considered a sound investment. I was suspicious as it still seemed like gambling to me. The main problem then was getting a mortgage. Our salaries (teacher and FE lecturer) didn’t quite meet the criteria for the loan but the nice man at the Bradford and Bingley suggested putting Aditi as the main applicant and me as the +1/3 rd salary, then it would work. He asked if I minded not being the first named applicant. I said I wasn’t bothered.  We sold that house for £85000 in 1990. Part exchanged really with the builder of our present house. That was exciting when the interest rates as mentioned earlier by Baz went up to 15%. There were quite a few mortgage defaults down our road. The price of property really fell. In fact in probably was when we moved in. Our neighbours similar house had been £40000 more the previous year but fortunately they had a bank fixed rate (and low interest) mortgage. 

Edited by Tony_S
Corrected original price of first house. It has been £12600 but we haggled as he wanted a quick sale as the previous owner had already purchased a property.
  • Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, BoD said:

Weren't mortgages limited to 3.5x your annual wage or something like that? 

That was worked out from: 2x the man's wage PLUS 1.5x the woman's wage (total 3.5x). Tough being a woman, back then, eh, especially if she was the higher earner.

Edited by southern42
  • Like 1
  • Agree 10

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

£20 k bought us a 3 bed semi, with interest rates at around 15 percent, but I was only bringing home just under a £100 a week, cash(do you remember that stuff).

My daughter doesn't use cash any morjust pays with her watch or phone. 

13 minutes ago, BoD said:

I'm sure that the figures are out there but I wonder what % of a wage went on mortgages for similar properties back then compared to today.

I bought my first house in 1975 for £6,600 0. At the time my take home was£104 per moth and my £6K mortgage cost me £56 per month, my take home did rise though when my mortgage tax relief,remember that,was sorted out.  I had no phone,car or TV.  I once told no 1son that a Sky subscription was a luxury and quoted him the above. I was told that I knew nothing about life. 

Jamie

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Gold

I have been loaned a walking stick. The waiters at breakfast today, were most concerned and had a look for one but said they were sure Madame B would find one when she came to work. She did. I had no idea how to use a stick but YouTube was helpful. If you Google using a stick, an awful lot of the replies are about self defence. The knob on the hand end of the one I have been loaned could certainly do someone a mischief. 
My uncle (Mum’s evil step brother, though by the time of the following tale, a reformed character, well at least to the family) was returning from a visit to the dog track. This involved quite a long walk along a footpath. John must have looked an easy touch to two bad lads on bicycles. He had grey hair and walked with a stick due to leg injury. The youths probably didn’t know he also only had one eye and one lung. Anyway they threatened him and demanded his money. They didn’t get it and as they rode away empty handed they threatened to report him to the police for hitting them with his stick. 
Another Uncle John story. All through the war years he used to terrify my mother telling her that officials would be calling to take her away to join the land army or similar. In fact she would never have been old enough during WW2. John was convinced his lack of lung and eye would save him from conscription but he was called up and put in the Pioneer Corps where he did a lot of digging.  

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, southern42 said:

That was worked out from: 2x the man's wage PLUS 1.5x the woman's wage (total 3.5x). Tough being a woman, back then, eh, especially if she was the higher earner.

Aditi has always been the higher earner in our household. We were fortunate back in 1977 to find a building society that would use the highest earner being female. The manager said also as I was a physics teacher that was a very safe job…

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

daughter doesn't use cash any morjust pays with her watch or phone. 

I think I can pay with my phone but haven’t done so unless using the Shell app at a petrol station counts. I don’t do that anymore since 2FA makes the process fail enough times to not bother. My watch will do lots of time related things (like find time signals in lots of places ) but predates smart watches. Also,it didn’t cost much. 
I must admit though that my inner nerd/geek did like cashless cardless toll transits on this holiday. 

• Like 18

I don't wear a digital watch and my phone is not connected to the internet, it rings when someone wants me, went for a meal a while back, when it came to paying the lad behind the bar said you can pay by phone of watch, to which I replied you better find someone to take some cash or I've just had a free dinner, no signs anywhere saying "no cash", they took my money.

• Like 18