The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. I was woken up this morning about five by the heavy rain, fortunately it stopped after about fifteen minutes and I went back to sleep for a couple of hours more. It didn't activate the arthritis however but it didn't take long for the hay fever to return.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Oh Dearie Me, Oh Dearie, Dearie Me…. I am continually finding evidence of @polybear misdeeds in Japan during his ポリベア 失われた日本の時代.

THIS time it’s his “off the books” advertising work promoting 大きなクマのブーツ Ōkina kuma no būtsu (Big Bear Boots) - a range of hiking boots:

IMG_2592.jpeg.ba69bc2396645d5daca479adf0c63672.jpeg

Does he have two left feet cos it sure looks like he is sporting two left boots or is it my imagination, the camera angle or simply "evidence of @polybear misdeeds in Japan"?

Edited by southern42
add punctuation marks
  • Like 2
  • Agree 15
  • Funny 2

2 minutes ago, southern42 said:

Does he have two left feet cos it sure looks like he is sporting two left boots or is it my imagination, the camera angle or simply "evidence of @polybear misdeeds in Japan"?

I think the photograph must’ve been taken after PB had an over abundant excess of cake (and possibly alcohol, although he claims he doesn’t drink) and he was so out of it he didn’t realise what he had put two left boots on

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

I think the photograph must’ve been taken after PB had an over abundant excess of cake (and possibly alcohol, although he claims he doesn’t drink) and he was so out of it he didn’t realise what he had put two left boots on

And is one boot larger than the other...?

Edited by southern42
  • Like 5
  • Agree 9

In not-really-Japan-related news, I mildly astounded Mrs. Railsquid by demonstrating it is possible to repair a suitcase, which is vastly better than chucking it out and buying a new one, especially if the new one is cheap and nasty which the old one wasn't, and I am quite fond of this one which I've had over 10 years, and with the aid of the internet it was possible to solve its various ailments, which were:

1. telescopic handle partially stuck

2. one grab handle loose on one side

3. tyres on the caster wheels had at some point largely disintegrated.

1 and 2 were basically loose screw issues; 3 required sawing through the "axles" of the caster wheels to remove them, but once having done that I won't need to do it again, as the replacements come with screw-together axles, which will also make it practical to remove the wheels for cleaning (surprising amount of strands of mystery stuff wrapped around the old ones). Hope to get at least another 10 years out of it. Also kudos for a previous version of myself for acquiring a hacksaw and replacement blades which resided unused and forgotten in the toolbox until now, as I was fully expecting to have to go out and acquire a new one.

Though if anyone is missing Japan-related news, here's a 20 minute segment on the apparently famous suitcase repair kiosk at Narita Airport [edit: video possibly not available outside Japan, so not embedding :( ]: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEbiTGNPpek

Edited by railsquid
  • Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, railsquid said:

In not-really-Japan-related news, I mildly astounded Mrs. Railsquid by demonstrating it is possible to repair a suitcase, which is vastly better than chucking it out and buying a new one, especially if the new one is cheap and nasty which the old one wasn't, and I am quite fond of this one which I've had over 10 years, and with the aid of the internet it was possible to solve its various ailments, which were:

1. telescopic handle partially stuck

2. one grab handle loose on one side

3. tyres on the caster wheels had at some point largely disintegrated.

1 and 2 were basically loose screw issues; 3 required sawing through the "axles" of the caster wheels to remove them, but once having done that I won't need to do it again, as the replacements come with screw-together axles, which will also make it practical to remove the wheels for cleaning (surprising amount of strands of mystery stuff wrapped around the old ones). Hope to get at least another 10 years out of it. Also kudos for a previous version of myself for acquiring a hacksaw and replacement blades which resided unused and forgotten in the toolbox until now, as I was fully expecting to have to go out and acquire a new one.

Though if anyone is missing Japan-related news, here's a 20 minute segment on the apparently famous suitcase repair kiosk at Narita Airport:

It says it all above. Not available in your country.

• Like 2
  • Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Thunderstorms with hail predicted for Estuary-Land about now but still no sign of them. We might be lucky and get missed or again they might be late. Sun was shining this morning but now clouded over (and a bit muggy).

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Well, it chuckeditdarn late this afternoon. Just as well I had brought the washing into the porch before then. A few rumbles of thunder to the south west(ish). Worse over at the r**lway museum, I am told! It passed right over them.

Clouds lifting. Sun making an effort to shine through.

• Like 18

Today's weather forecast here is as follows:

Expect showers to move in overnight into Sunday, with some sunshine breaking through, that could stir up the atmosphere a bit and create the possibility of heavier thundershowers Sunday afternoon.

One channel suggested showers beginning at 4:00am. When I went out for my morning walk everything was bone dry and even party sunny by the time I got home. Somewhere between then and now a suggestion of damp temporarily materialized on a table top on the back patio (which is now dry again), but little else has suggested rain has materialized though there are some fine, barely visible raindrops falling.

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 3

9 hours ago, pH said:

Southern Alberta can get chinook winds in winter. These come down off the Rockies, warming as they descend and producing rapid temperature changes.

We had some pressure heating a couple of weeks ago with an east wind descending the west slopes of the Cascades. This is uncommon with the prevailing winds being more westerly. It is very unusual for 'the valley' to be warmer than central Oregon in the summer, but it was at that time.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, pH said:

Why does ‘View New Content’ go straight from “6 hours” ago to “April 11”?

It's a right pain the the proverbial.

The half explanation I can give is that if someone amends a post made on April 11, it then appears in the new content listing but with its original date and not the date of the update (today) .  This is a bug (better known to the website designers as a "feature") that Andy Y is aware of but nothing has been done.  Well why would web designers change a feature!!

Your get out of jail free cards are:

Update the new content page - doesn't often work for me.

Open the listing for April 11 and then go back.

Open the posting immediately before the April 11 posting and then go back - most likely to work but not always.

Send Andy Y a snotty private message  - most satisfying but least effective.

Edited by Andy Hayter
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4