The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

I was useful today - mowed the grassy verge ahead of tomorrow's forecast rain and pulled the weeds on the side of the house next to my neighbour's wheelie bins. The weeds were big and filled my big green, yard waste wheelie bin.

It was the perfect day for it - cloudy, dry and <20°C but I was done at that point. I still have more weeds in the back. Perhaps I will feel motivated to make a start on them before the rain comes.

A load of laundry is in the dryer and I put away some clutter that I had left sitting on the upstairs landing.

• Like 13

Minus 2.5 at 7am and every day this week is going to be  only around 18 - 20 max. Its that  middle of winter time  when everyone looks at Queensland real estate websites..

. As opposed to the middle of summer when everyone looks at Tasmanian real estate websites.

• Like 11
  • Funny 5

1 hour ago, grandadbob said:

Southend 21.17, St. Just 21.35

Interesting. I would have thought that with the latitude difference (45.5°N here compared with 51.5°N) sunset would have been a bit later* in southern England.

* By more than about 15 minutes.

Here this evening's sunset is 9:02pm / 21:02 - though we won't see it.

Portland is at 122°W - so very close to the datum for the eight hour time difference (120°W).

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 2

15 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Minus 2.5 at 7am and every day this week is going to be  only around 18 - 20 max.

I'm surprised it gets that warm with a freezing start.  It's <20°C on my patio right now. The overnight low was around 10°C.

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I'm surprised it gets that warm with a freezing start.  It's <20°C on my patio right now. The overnight low was around 10°C.

Once the sun comes up the temperature climbs. For instance yesterday it got to 18.9 from a 0deg low at 7am.

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDN60901/IDN60901.94755.shtml

Closer to the coast the temperature doesn't drop as much. The coldest temperature ever recorded at Sydney Harbour was 4.4 deg in 1962 and old-timers probably still talk about it in  a "You think THIS is cold..!" kind of way.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Put me in mind of this:

The Castle - Franz Kafka

An exquisite study in bureaucracy, and probably the most futile thing one can read.

I tend to read non-fiction and tend not to be moved by the sort of serious fiction of literature enthusiasts. An exception is Franz Kafka. I work in the political bubble (albeit a specific part of it) and Kafka captures the absurdity of bureaucracy and also the human condition to perfection. Another writer I love is Albert Camus, as with Kafka he was a wonderful observer of humanity and behaviour, being able to capture human existence in a way which while often bleak had an honesty and sympathy for the individual. 

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

20 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

The route I’m on looks narrow gauge to me (to my Mk1 eyeball looks about the same as the MGB track, which I know is narrow gauge - but I’n probabky totally wrong) and the train - though fast - is not as fast as the Shinkansen I took many years ago (Hokkaido Main Line),

On the current route (Atami-Shin Osaka) there are quite a few “old” tunnels and curves - so might be the upgrade of existing lines!

Shinkansen is definitely all standard gauge. There have been attempts over the years to create a "free-gauge" train which is supposed to, through some magic with the axles, run on both standard and cape gauge, but those came to naught.

The Tokaido Shinkansen is the original Shinkansen line, and the section around Atami is the oldest Shinkansen stretch and is relatively "curvy" with, IIRC, the lowest speed limits on the Shinkansen network (270km/h, again IIRC). It also traverses some particularly difficult geography/geology (the main transportation routes running west from Tokyo are all squeezed into a narrow section bordered on one side by the mountains and on the other by what translates as "The Great Collapsing Coast").

The Tokaido Shinkansen is entirely new construction, though parts of the "Shin-Tanna Tunnel" west of Atami date from 1941, when construction started as part of the original "bullet train" plan (but obviously never got far).

Edited by railsquid
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 14
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

11 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

The gauge issue in Japan is more complicated than it initially appears. JR was a 3'6" railway until development of the Shinkansen network from the early 60's which was standard gauge. There are a lot of non-JR railway companies, traditionally these were called private railways, a term often still used even though JR was privatized decades ago. A few of these were and are standard gauge, such as the Keikyu, Keisei and Kintetsu railways. It gets more complicated as there is also 4'6" gauge such as the Keio railway. Although much smaller than the major JR companies some of the private railways are large operations with quite large networks and high intensity services. 

Pity the Tokyo Municipal Subway (not to be confused with the Tokyo Metro), which has just 4 lines which are mutually incompatible in terms of gauge/power supply. 2 x standard gauge (one is the 1500v DC overhead Asakusa Line, which has through-running to the Keisei and Keikyu lines, one is the deep-level Oedo line with linear motors); one cape gauge (Mita Line, 1500v DC, as of this year through-running to an insane number of other lines), one 4'6" (Shinjuku Line, 1500v DC, through-running to the Keio Line).

Talking of the Keio railway, it has two lines in Tokyo, the main one (with the through-running to the Shinjuku Line) being the aforementioned 1372mm/4'6" gauge, the other one (Inokashira Line) being cape gauge.

For added historical fun, the Keisei network was originally 1372mm/4'6" but converted to cape gauge for through-running with the Asakusa/Keikyu lines which has created a mildly insane "network" involving two other companies, and it's one of my favourite set of lines as you never know what sort of train will turn up next.

Edited by railsquid
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

28 minutes ago, railsquid said:

It also traverses some particularly difficult geography/geology (the main transportation routes running west from Tokyo are all squeezed into a narrow section bordered on one side by the mountains and on the other by what translated as "The Great Collapsing Coast".

This video shows the some of the remains of the original Tokaido Main line (not the Shinkansen), which was built along said coast, but was abandoned for obvious reasons and successively diverted through tunnels further away from the coast:

Actually, technically the original line was much further inland via a much more circuitous but less "tunnely" route, which still exists as the (local) Gotemba line.

Edited by railsquid
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium

Major drive today (by our standards) to RCAF museum.

They seemed to be delighted by my artefacts as they fit with their theme (WW2 RCAF) and were not common items. (The 3 volumes of the 1936 electric/electronic manual). 

The trip back was extended a bit as there was a traffic jam on the motorway and we didn't have the local street map. The satnav kept trying to route us back on the motorway.  We now know that the map puts a yellow or red line where there is congestion, but only if it wants you to go there.

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

The main street in Villefranche-de-Conflent. Not a place you’d expect to find a Japanese themed shop!

IMG_6966.jpeg.b057eadfa8fe4e7d6a3fbc2f74b9bc3b.jpeg

A beautiful place.  I assume you went on Le Petit Train Jaune de Cerdagne (el tren groc de la Cerdanya) ? If so, was it one of the tourist trains with open carriages, or an EMU ?

I seem to remember that hanging around the town until nearer the time for the next train was "somewhat warm".

• Like 15

2 hours ago, zarniwhoop said:

A beautiful place.  I assume you went on Le Petit Train Jaune de Cerdagne (el tren groc de la Cerdanya) ? If so, was it one of the tourist trains with open carriages, or an EMU ?

I seem to remember that hanging around the town until nearer the time for the next train was "somewhat warm".

Very warm at the moment too!

Getting ready for the Red train so having to be quick.

IMG_6567.jpeg.00b21d7b14c2f4a8e49d6d1fda22c66c.jpeg

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Seeing @Gwiwer's pics of the sunset in Cornwall set me thinking. What is the time difference between sunset in Southend and sunset in St Just?

About 25 minutes

We are some 8 miles beyond the end of the Go When Ready railway which was, in its earlier iteration, credited with bringing Standard Time (or “Railway Time”) to the likes of Bristol, Plymouth and St. Keyne Wishing Well Halt. 

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl,

A two part sleep, 3.5 hours , 4 hours, a good night for me.

The oddest temperature change I've been in was in the north west  of Saudi, living at 2500 ft,  a foot of snow at breakfast time, 30C by lunch time.

Dawn today at the nearest place there is a figure for is 03:37, for St Just 04:27,  whereas where I used to live on Benbecula, which is further west than St Just but a lot further north it's 03:17. 

At that point Ben the stop playing with that gadget Collie, appeared after him having a head polish, we went on patrol, he chose a different route today, following the scent of something interesting.  

There's a low buzz of insects everywhere overlaid by many birds singing away.

The welkin is grey, mostly light but to the north darker. The air feels " heavy"

Similarly next high tide GY today is at 20:43, for lands end 16:43.

Of which I hope to be sailing later. Low tide Horning was 07:36, so it will roughly max incoming tide when we go out on the water, but since we are sailing on the broad today, that won't make any difference, there is little tidal flow on the broad but the water level goes up and down by around a foot,  normally.

The wind forecast is a south easterly, which will make course setting difficult, if we get the 15 to 23 mph winds that'll be a little high.

More of a problem today is what to wear, it's a bit too warm to wear waterproofs, but if we are unlucky we could get a cloud burst. I really do need to buy a very thin set of waterproof top and trousers, that pack into a small bag.

I need to out in an hour,

Time to move.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Apparently before I woke up with cramp in the night we had a very heavy thunder and lightning  storm. Garden is wet this morning but skies are OK for the time being.

Change of metformin manufacturer is really causing me problem.. pah! NICE say I and others are imagining this.. research paid for by the drugs companies  says so... err ballcocks!

As its Fathers Day I have received a card and a token from Dr Eldest Herbert. Youngest Herbert says he has a card for me.. probably delivered next week..

Hay fever has kicked in. Big time this morning. Pah!

Her indoors is going wedding dress approving for the future Mrs youngest Herbert. She is going with her mum.   It will probably go very well as we all get on well.

@railsquid thanks for the info. Trip to Japan is on our list.

Stay safe.. 

Baz

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Hazy sunshine at the moment and bright spells, showers and even thunderstorms are forecast.   20°C now, 25°C later.

We did have about an hour of rain yesterday evening, it started 30 minutes after I'd watered the garden.

Usual Sunday cooked breakfast has been offered and will be accepted shortly and then a lazy morning is planned.  As it's Father's Day the offspring are taking us out to lunch, Nicki is collecting us and Steve will meet us at the pub and bring us home later.  I will probably have a drink or three at least today.  😄

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 16

Oh Dearie Me, Oh Dearie, Dearie Me…. I am continually finding evidence of @polybear misdeeds in Japan during his ポリベア 失われた日本の時代.

THIS time it’s his “off the books” advertising work promoting 大きなクマのブーツ Ōkina kuma no būtsu (Big Bear Boots) - a range of hiking boots:

IMG_2592.jpeg.ba69bc2396645d5daca479adf0c63672.jpeg

and VERY definitely off the books - cake and cash only…,

IMG_2676.jpeg.b435a61007474e476dfe7b5cf63dbaf8.jpeg

I am sure that the 国税庁  (Kokuzei-chō, National Tax Agency) would love to have a word with Mr P Bear….

(fear not PB, even Captain Cynical wouldn’t shop his worst enemy to the taxman. Some things are Just Not Done!)

• Like 12
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

Cloudy on the Northumberland coast today, the foghorn was working earlier.  It is quite mild but sticky, rain is forecast for after dark.

My hayfever is annoying this morning, only a sneeze now and then with slightly itchy eyes but breathing is quite difficult and I feel wheezy and hot.  It's always the same in this type of weather in June/July, I know I just have to get on with it and that as soon as it rains it will go off for a while.  At least I no longer have to teach feeling like this. 

I'm now doing the usual e mails and phone calls.  I'm also thinking about all the books that are going to go - probably to a charity shop as they are not worth much.  For some reason all the books I could sell for money are the ones I want to keep.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Friendly/supportive 19

2 hours ago, TheQ said:

The oddest temperature change I've been in was in the north west  of Saudi, living at 2500 ft,  a foot of snow at breakfast time, 30C by lunch time.

Southern Alberta can get chinook winds in winter. These come down off the Rockies, warming as they descend and producing rapid temperature changes. Look at the ‘Records’ section on this page for examples:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinook_wind

There is also an effect of these winds which I don’t see described in that Wiki entry. They can be very local in effect, so that there is a large temperature change over a short distance. One side of the city of Calgary can still be at the temperature the whole city was before a chinook, while the chinook has warmed the other side of the city. That can mean a difference of 20 Centigrade degrees in temperature across the city.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 8

• RMweb Gold

The unreliable BBC weather app is inflicting us with Thundery Showers from now until at least 7pm. The slightly more reliable Met Office app suggests between 4 and 6pm.

The Met office active weather map also suggests that the current wave of thunderstorms are just to the west of Snowdonia, a comfortable way off!

At the moment, the weather out of the window is bright with sunny spells...

• Like 15