The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Hmm, not a lot of garden with the house, I suspect Mr and Mrs Gwiwer will be putting in for an allotment.

If Gwiwer gets a move in there's an unmentionable show on in Barnstable on the 29th July and one in yealmpton  7th Oct other than that , that's your lot for this year within 100 miles. Same problem as Norfolk they don't hold unmentionable shows in the sea.

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, polybear said:

YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO moment cos' that means all the architraving is now completed,  Very Happy Bear.

I can concur with this. I was just testing out the updated camera software  on my phone by zooming in on @polybear in his newly-decorated  lounge  room, and here he is  singing away  happy as a lark. Love the new decor, 5 stars from me.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land.  Quite an evening, I must have a water infection, I can't stop peeing. Just as well I've got plenty of clean under crackers. Not sure of the cause, perhaps an infection and I will give my GP a call in the morning. Seems to have settled down now.

• Friendly/supportive 18

6 hours ago, TheQ said:

An occasional needle or pin has  disappeared from SWMBO's current task of the time. Absolutely nothing else happens till it is found again

That was plan A, which failed when I gave up looking.

Plan B is try not to step/sit on the needle - wherever it is.

It can't have gotten far.

EDIT:

All's well that ends well. Needle found - hiding under spools of thread in the sewing kit.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

The number one selling beer in the US is presently ... drumroll ... Mexican.

Constellation Brands' Modello Especial (Mexilager genérica) hit 8.4% of retail beer sales for the four weeks ending June 4.

CNN Business: Bud Light loses its title as America’s top-selling beer 

I guess   no one  from the LBGQTIA community advertises it.

• Funny 13

37 minutes ago, froobyone said:

I've now run out of space to house them sadly, so my Lego days are over I think.

Bit like model railways - space is always a premium. You can at least disassemble them and store them away, to enjoy rebuilding them one day. They take up much less room that way. Always good to keep the instructions, though these days instructions for newer sets are all online.

• Like 15
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

48 minutes ago, froobyone said:

I've now run out of space to house them sadly, so my Lego days are over I think.

Go virtual!  You can create Lego components in3D modelling  software such as sketchup, theres many tutorials that cover it on youtube. There are websites that have blueprints and/or descriptions of pretty much every Lego component out there, then just download the instructions for whatever kit you like (those too are out there) and off you go!   A fun way to learn 3D software. 

• Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

1 minute ago, monkeysarefun said:

Go virtual!  You can create Lego components in3D modelling  software such as sketchup, theres many tutorials that cover it on youtube. There are websites that have blueprints and/or descriptions of pretty much every Lego component out there, then just download the instructions for whatever kit you like (those too are out there) and off you go!   A fun way to learn 3D software. 

:) I'm a professional CGI artist, or was at least, until the end of last year. I worked for Foundry London, building 3D assets for footwear companies around the world. I agree, virtual is definitely an option, but there's no substitute for walking past your Lego cabinet and admiring your hard work.

• Like 7
  • Agree 10
  • Friendly/supportive 2

2 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

You can create Lego components in3D modelling  software

I assume you are talking about 'assemblies' (MOCs* in LEGO fan-speak) rather than the components.

* My Own Creations

Theoretically you could build LEGO-compatible components (elements in LEGO-speak) with 3D printers, but they won't have the same manufacturing tolerances.

Have you seen any of these 3D structural rendering tools include 'usage tutorials' for non-obvious LEGO element interactions. (I'm thinking particularly of gearing, but there's also a lot of creative ways to use the geometry that is not 'studs up'.)

• Like 12

1 minute ago, froobyone said:

:) I'm a professional CGI artist, or was at least, until the end of last year. I worked for Foundry London, building 3D assets for footwear companies around the world. I agree, virtual is definitely an option, but there's no substitute for walking past your Lego cabinet and admiring your hard work.

Maybe someone should come up with the Lego equivalent of N scale.

• Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

2 minutes ago, froobyone said:

there's no substitute for walking past your Lego cabinet and admiring your hard work

Physically handling the bricks is very therapeutic. There's something comforting in the tactile nature of it. Like 3D jigsaws, only so much better.

Way better than ballasting.

• Like 10
  • Agree 4

Just now, Ozexpatriate said:

I assume you are talking about 'assemblies' (MOCs* in LEGO fan-speak) rather than the components.

No, i meant the individual Lego basic building bits -  bricks, half bricks, little lego man heads etc etc. These become components  (sketchup-speak) in sketchup that you just join together like real lego to build virtual versions of actual lego kits. 

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 3

1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

So - subject to contract - it appears we have bought ourselves a good sized granite cottage in a vibrant small town that we know well. 

Right under the path of the German bomber that crashed in St Just in WWII. You can see the evidence on a building in Cape Cornwall Street, and it crashed in Chapel Road.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 16

34 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

That was plan A, which failed when I gave up looking.

Plan B is try not to step/sit on the needle - wherever it is.

It can't have gotten far.

Plan C - giant magnet!

• Like 4
  • Funny 2

25 minutes ago, froobyone said:

That sir, is an astonishingly good idea.

There are plenty of micro-sized LEGO 'concept' bricks.

Nanoblock is one.

Darn fiddly if you ask me. About 1/8 the size of LEGO geometry and incompatible.

(Their stud pitch is 4mm. LEGO stud pitch is 8mm.)

EDIT:
Nanoblock doggy. LEGO 1x2 brick.

image.png.3d9c3ebd864aba113739ba1aba3845e5.png

Edited by Ozexpatriate
Added photograph
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, TheQ said:

Lego I never have had or been involved in

You can, or perhaps can't now due to inflation, buy a plastic bucket of Lego in a Lego shop.  It's about 9" deep and perhaps 5" diameter, and you can fill it with whatever selection of bricks you want, for £6.

I have found my bricks to be highly useful on and around the layout, and for modelling job  They make excellent formers for buildings and kit wagons/vans that have to be square, cane be made into temporary loco cradles and supports for jobs,  made into towers to hold things up while you're fiddling about underneath them, and buffers for fy roads. 

• Like 8
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

3 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

I have found my bricks to be highly useful on and around the layout, and for modelling job  They make excellent formers for buildings and kit wagons/vans that have to be square, cane be made into temporary loco cradles and supports for jobs,  made into towers to hold things up while you're fiddling about underneath them, and buffers for fy roads. 

Duplo - the 'toddler' LEGO is useful for such things as well. 8X bigger than LEGO bricks. (2x dimensions).

Duplo and LEGO bricks are compatible.

• Like 8
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

36 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

No, i meant the individual Lego basic building bits -  bricks, half bricks, little lego man heads etc etc. These become components  (sketchup-speak) in sketchup that you just join together like real lego to build virtual versions of actual lego kits. 

There are any number of LEGO-related 3D CAD tools - just search "lego cad". There's a ton of them.

LEGO Group had their own which is now retired. They now refer people to Bricklink Studio.

It is integrated with the Bricklink's second-hand brick market.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 7