The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, polybear said:

is all too easy to find yourself doing 35 in a 30 just at the wrong time (though this wasn't such a time, fortunately). 

I checked my journey log when we got here (hotel in Troyes). The autoroute was very clear. For one 125 mile leg it seems my average speed was 74mph. It was on cruise control at 130kph for nearly all the time.  Other stretches were a little slower. 

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Not done any cooking today, pork pie for lunch and quiche for dinner both with a bit of salad. Included in the salad was cooked beetroot found in the back of the fridge. No use by date but as they were vacuum sealed should be perfectly ok.

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Hroth said:

Loud and overcrowded?

Umm, more like vibrant and happening.  It really is a carnival atmosphere, there's no 'trouble', just the usual pixxed locals and a few, but not lots, of visitors the same - cells are never full, any more than a usual Friday night despite the numbers -people are here to enjoy themselves.  Now if there were 40k football fans....different.

• Like 18
  • Informative/Useful 1

21 hours ago, BSW01 said:

So, I spent the next 40 minutes alternating from outside bailing the area in front of the cellar door and inside the cellar as well, I must have emptied the buckets at least 40 times! But thankfully that was only about 1 inch deep, but I had to keep swapping from inside to outside to keep up the inside level low. By the time I’d finished I was soaked and had to get changed before I could sit down with a well earned glass of beer. 

Here in the sub-tropics its not all  palm trees and surfing and girls in grass skirts we also have tropical  storms with accompanying  flooding.  Maybe like here you can pick up submersible pumps pretty cheaply, for the occasional use the quality isnt an issue. Something like this will suck an average space like a garage  dry pretty quickly, down to about a quarter of an inch.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/ozito-350w-dirty-water-submersible-water-pump_p4816179

My 3D printing room under the house will flood when we get a Sydney downpour or floods, it only rises to about  a quarter of an inch before it runs under the door and down the back but its annoying. I bought a dearer version - called a puddle sucker that'll actually pump it down to dry concrete, cost a couple of hundred but it does the job in about 20 minutes, compared to the hours that I used to take with the wet-and dry vac, filling the vac with water then struggling outside to empty it out, over and over -  that was a mugs game!

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 10

28 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Maybe like here you can pick up submersible pumps pretty cheaply, for the occasional use the quality isnt an issue.

Sump pumps were a standard for basements in Chicago. I had one in my garage - there was a little 'well' (a circular depression) in the concrete floor in the back corner where the sump pump was located.

It was arguably the wrong corner of the 'daylight' basement since it was above grade at that point. The other back corner in a finished part of the basement was below grade. It was required by code. 

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

The outside cellar stairs and the cellar floor look and feel a lot cleaner now. A sump pump sounds like a good idea, so I’ll give the idea some serious thought outside the cellar in front of the cellar window would seem a logical place to put one, but I’ll need to dig through the concrete floor and put in a pit for the pump. A bit of research is in order I think. 

Happy anniversary @grandadbob

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

The world has returned to a semblance of normal as the visitors have left, not seen any figures yet but there will have been about 40,000 or so.  As our population is about 83,000 you can understand how different the rock feels TT week!

It's slightly surprising the whole thing didn't sink under the weight 😀

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 12

Afternoon/Morning All,

i’ve just returned from attending a sumo wrestling training morning at a sumo stable. It was brutal.. It makes the “hard training“ the overpaid kickball prima donnas complain about seem like a stroll in the park.

These young men, the beginning of their sumo career, go through the most gruelling training I have ever seen outside of the military. All but one wrestler wore black mawashi – indicating that they were at the very bottom of the Sumo hierarchy pyramid. the one wrestler with a white mawashi - indicating that he was in one of the higher sumo categories  - was s maegashira.

The stable master (trainer) made one young black mawashi wrestler take on the maegashira wrestler until the young wrestler literally dropped to the floor with exhaustion – the stable master, then made him do it again! Finally, after being thrown to the ground, pushed out of the ring, or had a part of his than his feet touch the ground (all way a sumo wrestler can lose a match) the young wrestler won a bout.

And these are big lads, sumo wrestlers in excess weighing in excess of 170 kg are not uncommon. IMG_2138.jpeg.e16777c6962afcbba9c9ed4152af8747.jpegI’m the skinny one!

Edited by iL Dottore
Typo
  • Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, BSW01 said:

Good evening everyone 

The outside cellar stairs and the cellar floor look and feel a lot cleaner now. A sump pump sounds like a good idea.....

Bear suggested it first...Bear suggested it first......😁

Waddoo I win??

Bear here......

Architrave fixin' day in the Hallway methinks.  Could be a Big Tick approaching.  Hopefully.

In other news....

Junior Docs go on strike for 3 days from 7am tomorrow.  Go careful out there.

In other, other news.....

Bear should've been a L.T. Rolling Stock Engineer - I learned from "someone in the know" yesterday that their salary apparently goes something like this:

Year 1 £20K

Year 2 £32K (or was it £36K - can't remember).

Year 3 £60K.....

Bluddy Hell.

Bear gone.

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Good moaning from a. Liff top eyrie overlooking the shining sea.  It's been a busy few days so far and will get busier today as Emily and her mums will arrive this evening.  I meanwhile am off to ride the train all the way to Swanage and back.  

Congrats to Mr and Mrs GDB. 

Jamie

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

A good night's sleep but I still feel tired, I walked further than I had intended yesterday.  It is fine and sunny again, I hope to have a restful morning before going to a church meeting this afternoon.

The restful morning will be spent sorting out yesterday's photos and looking at the new books.

David

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 4

5 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

Talk of sump pumps and wet basements takes me back to my early days in London. I worked at the City of London district heating and cooling scheme in Farringdon, opposite Smithfield Market.

Much of the power plant (including two V18 Wartsila 46 gas engines of about 16MW each) were below ground in old Victorian vaults. The plant was built into the shell of a Victorian building, the façade was listed. Water ingress was a constant problem with sump pumps running all the time and huge bilge wells around the basement areas.

Our senior management in corporate HQ had the brainwave of sealing the walls (it was an ongoing expense as the water was subject to discharge controls), it apparently never struck them that there might have been a reason it had not already been done. We actually had survey reports from our structural engineers advising not to do that. The problem wasn't so much leaking walls, it was that the vaults were below the water table. We were not allowed to renew the vaults with the sort of concrete structure that could withstand high hydraulic pressure, and there was no way Victorian brick walls could withstand high pressures. The problem with trying to seal any water vessel (which is what we were in effect, a box below the water table) is it is subject to pressure. Unless you have a tank or structure designed for that pressure it will find a weak spot and relieve itself.

Despite multiple meetings where I tried to persuade them it was a bad idea they were determined, the result was bricks being fired out of the walls at high velocity followed by what looked like a fire hose discharge. The next idea was to try drilling in structural anchors to strengthen the wall, again we explained that not only would that not do anything to address the problem but the more they tried to do the greater the chance of a major structural failure unless they were willing to spend many millions to do the job properly (which would not have been allowed by the heritage people and was in any case impractical without completely renewing the plant). After about 18 months they accepted defeat and we went back to just accepting that we needed to keep pumping the vaults out.

What amazed me was the decision makers were all engineers. It demonstrated a problem in engineering as they were mainly control engineers and clearly considered themselves on a higher echelon than the lowly civil and structural engineers trying to advise them. I'm not a civil engineer but you didn't have to be to read their reports and understand the advice. I found the wilful refusal of apparently intelligent chartered engineers to accept the obvious really rather odd.

As an ex CoL employee you have my sympathy. I suspect I may have been long after you as I had to deal with Ove Arup. It was my first experience of having to deal with consultants/contractors. I still remember it after all this time. Funny enough I know someone who works for them but I think they've have dropped the Ove part.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Good Morning from the Distant (Signal) West. 

The sun is trying to break through last night’s fog. There is a very chatty Greenfinch outside the window and perched above acres of hayfever seedy grassland. Dr. SWMBO tells me she is off for a 10.00 swim which requires me to drop her at the pool. 

Some lovely people have been met whilst walking the South West Coast Path. Respects have been paid to all those Cornish men and women who had their lives cut short in or about the mines.  The mortal remains of a railway have been photographed almost ten miles beyond the buffer stops at Penzance 

The industrial wasteland has its own peculiar beauty. 

IMG_3708.jpeg.307c1f87d697d09c43227cb82a48b5d3.jpeg

The South West Coast Path. 630 miles (all of which I have walked) from Minehead to Poole Harbour

IMG_3705.jpeg.6a952ee886d46084e77c86602806e708.jpeg

Mineral staining on the cliffs below the remains of the Levant mine complex

IMG_3704.jpeg.f259103d8158ba742a5357d0dfd8432d.jpeg

Copper staining from a leat at the lower washing levels of the Geevor mine 

IMG_3700.jpeg.911b0066f61d0a97d1aa618125b24d4b.jpeg

A weird landscape made spookier in fog. Levant mine complex - arsenic works 

IMG_3695.jpeg.6c8cc1c1bc7e60d3af6f811b3fac987d.jpeg

The 2’ 0” railway at Levant mine used to move equipment as much as rock 

IMG_3682.jpeg.db44a29411bfb2ca6fd39cca40c30403.jpeg
This way!  Wearing my South West Coast Path Association “completer’s” t-shirt (a different Shirt du Jour for @iL Dottore ) only available to members who have walked the whole distance. 

• Like 19