The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

14 hours ago, Hroth said:

In UK terms, LW was important for the Shipping Forecast on Radio 4 (1500 metres), plus of course The Archers and the Today programme.  It was alleged that the British nuclear submarine deterrent was based on being able to receive R4 longwave.  In the absence of direct instruction, if R4 was missing from the airwaves after a certain period of time, the Captain was entitled to open his safe and deal out worldwide  Merry Hell...

aren’t  the ‘timing pips ’ also a guide to navigation. They are sounded at a very very precise time. 

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

And here is the fair lady herself with the aforesaid car at Manchester airport.  We'd escaped there prior to flying to Canada the next morning.

Film1979-3008.jpg.da3b7526e6cab2a21f136e89377cf0b8.jpg

Jamie

Congratulations to you both!

That picture would go down a treat on ‘those interested in old car’ !

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, southern42 said:

IMG_7189b.jpg.b7291134702890bf420eb072a489d57a.jpg

Keyring Minion Bob, says, "Hello!"

I have pretty much moved from analogue radio to DAB, but I still retain the older equipment “just in case” (older, but still usable, technology and equipment tends to end up into the workshop. Anything that gets thrown out from the workshop is either completely knackered and that’s useless or so antique that it is no longer a viable and usable piece of equipment).

Finally, a question - where did you get your minion? He’s most endearing!

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 12

Congratulations to Mrs @jamie92208 for having the fortitude (and endurance) to put up with a Tori-tetsu 撮り鉄 (and a LMS one as well [a LMS 撮り鉄)!]) for so long 😁 She must truly be an exceptional person!

All joking aside, it’s heartening to witness another long-term marital anniversary, there seems to be fewer and fewer of them every year (or maybe I’m just getting old!)

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Erichill16 said:

Congratulations to you both!

That picture would go down a treat on ‘those interested in old car’ !

Yes a Vauxhall Cavalier indeed and one of the faster ones.  The one I'd booked wasn't ready and time was pressing.  The car had to be got from central Leeds(Rose ville Road), to be hidden in a garage in Batley then me back to home,get changed and be at the church in Batley for 10.45. It was already 8.30 so had to get a tad assertive so they upgraded me to the faster one.  I think we were doing well over 80 up the M621 with my brother doing his best to keep up with me. 

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 11
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, southern42 said:

IMG_7189b.jpg.b7291134702890bf420eb072a489d57a.jpg

Corfforaeth Darleddu Prydain Radio Cymru.  

Otherwise the Welsh are anglicising their own language.  And I'm sure that won't go down too well in the chapels of Bethesda nor the Brains bars of Cardiff.  The Welsh, along with other Celtic nations, have not, by and large, invented words for recent technology so this one is pronounced to rhyme with "add" not with "aid"

• Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

Not wanting to be Mr Picky, buuuut, I think its actually a Carlton.

You are correct Robert.  I ordered a Cavalier so the upgrade would have been to a Carlton.  I had quite a lot on my mind that day. 

Jamie

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, PupCam said:

Morning All!

A bit of "Life Admin" has been done this morning.  

Now on to cogitation as to how to reduce Beeza leakage and also provide a a sight gauge for the oil tank as the design of the tank is very poor with the oil filter in the neck of of the tank.  You have to remove the filter to see the level and in so doing you let all of the carp in the filter into the oil tank and oh yes, get very oily doing it.    The oil tank/filter arrangement on the AJ is a far superior design (which might upset the BSA diehards!).

I feel I should make the effort for a walk today.  When I first retired I was very good making sure I went out for a decent walk every day.   Unfortunately I've slipped a bit but it would of course be in my best interests to be more consistently mobile.

I'm very much of the opinion when I shell out for something it should become mine in perpetuity and not just  a temporary right to make use of it.   But then I'm a MOG stuck in the old ways.    Similarly; subscription software access for 365 days.  No I don't think so!    You'll be wanting me to lease the ink for my printer next!   What's that you say HP?    Well you can shove your printers where .....

Pah !

No, no, no!      Not moaning more lamenting the passing of a fine treat.     Anyway, Mrs Puppers nicked a load 🤣

How about "So long and thanks for all the fish"  although that might be better as a title for the post-trip memoirs 🤔

TTFNQ

Think that one's been used.

How about - Eh by 'eck com tur fut o' our stairs lad'

• Like 2
  • Funny 6

1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

Yes a Vauxhall Cavalier indeed and one of the faster ones.  The one I'd booked wasn't ready and time was pressing.  The car had to be got from central Leeds(Rose ville Road), to be hidden in a garage in Batley then me back to home,get changed and be at the church in Batley for 10.45. It was already 8.30 so had to get a tad assertive so they upgraded me to the faster one.  I think we were doing well over 80 up the M621 with my brother doing his best to keep up with me. 

Jamie

Why is it that I now have a mental image of you foot to metal and your brother tapping on  Beth's window to say in broad Cumbrian/Yorkshire accent - 'ow do bro could you fetch it down a peg as 'm 'aving a bit of bother keeping up' 

• Like 2
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

note that no one has taken up my “name that blog” challenge. Tsk tsk…..

As I have very little creative ability I asked one of the allegedly AI bots (the Bing version) for guidance. 
Here is one, with an introduction too. 

Okay, so your blog is called Shinkansen Shenanigans and you want to share your funny experiences and observations on Japan’s high-speed trains. Here is a possible introduction for your blog:

Hello and welcome to Shinkansen Shenanigans, the blog where I share my hilarious and sometimes bizarre adventures on Japan’s bullet trains. If you’ve ever wondered what it’s like to travel at speeds of up to 320 km/h on a train that looks like a sleek white shark, you’ve come to the right place. I’m a frequent traveler on Japan’s railways and I’ve seen it all: from the impeccable service and etiquette of the train staff and passengers, to the weird and wonderful snacks and souvenirs sold at the stations, to the stunning scenery and landmarks that whizz by the windows. Along the way, I’ve also encountered some unexpected and amusing situations that made me laugh, cringe, or scratch my head. In this blog, I’ll tell you all about them and hopefully make you laugh too. So sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride!

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5
  • Round of applause 4

5 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

I also vaguely remember that the legal case took place in the United States, so perhaps our North American correspondents can provide further details and the outcome of that particular legal issue.

Not sure about the case you cite, couldn't find it with a "quick" search.

However, in the US at least, it is the case that if you stream music via Apple/iMusic, it IS ONLY "RENTED". You have it only while you maintain your subscription. Once the subscription lapses Apple deletes all music on your library and it becomes unavailable.

POETS - this IS happening 👍

BIN day today, and already serviced.

Yesterday another uneventful and quiet day for me - the Mrs spent the afternoon with a great niece who is home for the summer from college.

The weekend looks to be busy.

Tonight is our Choir party. 6-10pm, should be lots of fun, spouses/partners all included.

Saturday - possibly some daytime gardening, then off with the Mrs to a supper club/concert/album release show for one of the Mrs favourite local artists.

Sunday - no daytime plans, but evening hosting a happy hour with friends.

I think I'll need a day off to recover from all that 😀

Weather moving away from the forecast, 19c and cloudy at BIN o'clock, high expected to be 30c and now rain in the afternoon forecast.

Onward.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Why is it that I now have a mental image of you foot to metal and your brother tapping on  Beth's window to say in broad Cumbrian/Yorkshire accent - 'ow do bro could you fetch it down a peg as 'm 'aving a bit of bother keeping up' 

By definition he would have caught up if tapping on the window!

• Agree 6
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Happy anniversary to Jamie and Beth.

Eventually this morning I decided to go and have a walk at Bolam Lake, about 30 minutes drive away.  It is simply a lake, with a path round it plus woodland paths.  It is always pleasant, quiet and the water birds often come close to, as they expect to be fed by visitors.  1 hour parking is free, then you are charged - I've never stayed longer than 1 hour so I don't know the fees, probably £2 for 2 hours.  The parking ticket machines take cash - and I think nothing else though there is a mobile signal available, unlike a few miles away.  It does have toilets and a cafe open some days.

I had a pleasant walk, most of the birds were hiding but there was a noisy pair of Canada geese and a family of swans.  While I was there I took a few photos. 

I came home via another garden centre and got something to get rid of blanket weed in the pond.  It says it is harmless to fish and wildlife but gives warning about getting it in human eyes - doubtless that is before it is diluted.

Then I called at Blagdon Farm shop and bought some nice food I "needed", I also looked round the gallery which some lovely paintings for sale, the cane and pine shop, the cookware shop where I bought some new mats and the outdoor clothing shop.

Then it was back home buying petrol on the way, at the moment my Yaris Hybrid costs just on 11p a mile for petrol.  Later on during the afternoon I made a start on sorting out the garage and put some weedkiller or some troublesome weeds growing in the garden path.

sBSC_7941BolamLake.jpg.9684892e787e9a59939e9bde27f14170.jpg

Bolam lake with rhododendrons.

sBSC_7944BolamLakeswandandcygnets.jpg.61b85036f856f71d80dd6c223404f951.jpg

Bolam Lake swan family

sBSC_7946BolamLake.jpg.d2c6fb21596d58500fe776dbd3c084f0.jpg

Bolam Lake Spring trees.

sBSC_7950BolamLake.jpg.5a702a33c0f01d3e4f375cbfbc9ad527.jpg

Bolam Lake

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

One sidecar racer banned to to failing a drugs test.  Discussion ensued as to whether he was mad to use drugs when riding on such a dangerous device, or they are needed to ride such a....etc etc.

No comment .     

• Like 2
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

And here is the fair lady herself with the aforesaid car at Manchester airport.  We'd escaped there prior to flying to Canada the next morning.

Film1979-3008.jpg.da3b7526e6cab2a21f136e89377cf0b8.jpg

Jamie

Oh look! An Austin Allegro!

• Like 6
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium

I was planning a steak & ale pie and chips for dinner but when I went to the fridge there was no sign of the chips! I did find them sitting on top of a cupboard where I'd put them when I sorted out the shopping three days ago. When I opened them they'd gone a grey colour and looked unappetizing so in the bin they went. Luckily I had something else for dinner.

• Friendly/supportive 19

• RMweb Premium

Bear here.....

Yet more danglin', followed by marking the last remaining stair wall (the LHS) for the Dado Rail position; I thought this would be pretty straightforward, but getting it to match the RHS was "fun" - and once I'd achieved that it resulted in the Dado Rail height on the LHS of the Hallway being 130mm higher than that on the RHS, so that was raised as well to match.  Hopefully it'll look right when finished.....

In other news....

How not to win friends:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/rail-union-boss-slams-uk-support-for-ukraine-as-an-obscenity-and-accuses-britain-of-aiding-war-crimes/ar-AA1c374a?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=7b1f67f00d0d4950a76cb2170317975e&ei=24

In other, other news.....

If the f. media keep on and on about Philip Schofield he'll end up doing himself in - why can't they just lay off?  B'sterds. 

Bear gone.

Edited by polybear
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

I was planning a steak & ale pie and chips for dinner but when I went to the fridge there was no sign of the chips! I did find them sitting on top of a cupboard where I'd put them when I sorted out the shopping three days ago. When I opened them they'd gone a grey colour and looked unappetizing so in the bin they went. Luckily I had something else for dinner.

I thought that potatoes lasted a good while longer than three days (y’know - the brownish, roundish tubers that grow underground).

You could have made your own chips, or if you wanted fried spuds but didn’t want to use a deep fat fryer, you could have made:

- kartoffelpuffer

- Pommes de terre sautées à la lyonnaise (thin sliced potatoes cooked with onions)

- Potatoes O'Brien (potatoes cooked with bell peppers and onion)

- Pommes de terre rissolées (sautéed potatoes, sometimes cooked with garlic and rosemary)

All of the above can be cooked as your pie is baking on the oven (if you use a good quality ready made pastry, you can make a decent pie with a simple filling [e,g. Cheese and Onion] for not much more time than the baking time).

Buttered peas would make a nice green vegetable side (you could also serve broccoli if so inclined or if you have your MiL 🥲 as a guest).

Edited by iL Dottore
Spelling
  • Like 9