The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Why not? The Michelin Guide is not just one, two or three star restaurants with astronomical prices*, but also lots of restaurants that do great food at affordable prices.

The common theme to ALL entries in the Michelin Guide is good quality ingredients, good cooking (skills) and an enjoyable meal (the first point being absolutely critical).

* I’ll be eating at a Ramen Shop in Tokyo that has a Michelin star or two - a bowl of their ramen costs about ¥1000  (£5.75) which is about average for Tokyo

To be honest I leave all the holiday destinations to Aditi. My input is usually to insist on staying somewhere with parking. We are off to France in a couple of weeks. Aditi chose the hotel. I can’t imagine she would have chosen anywhere that the reviews said the food was horrible. Where we are going does seem to be in the Michelin Guide (I looked just now) but without stars, rosettes or other indicators. 

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

50 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

We have a similar problem not helped by ‘us’ not liking to dig up or throw  anything away. We have some very poorly plants out in the garden and it would be kinder to compost them. 

Look on the bright side your only following orders. Having said that I believe it didn't end well the last time that 'excuse' was used.

How about - at least your not paying for them. No strike that as they might be coming out of a joint account. I give up just do as your told.

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, polybear said:

Ah, but have you tasted it?

I gave up biting my nails a while ago*...  🤪

* A stressful job that was driving me up the wall. I left and have never looked back. I hope the bas***ds were all turned into pillars of salt!

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 12

2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

As to the “fun and joy” of eating and drinking, that can done extremely well without resorting to stabilisers, emulsifiers, anti-clumping agents, high fructose corn syrup and the like.

Ah but.....

can you think of a situation that isnt improved by them!?  Whats the footy without a lava filled pie and -  red sauce,  The Easter Show without a Dagwood Dog - and red sauce, sitting on the sand after a surf without a hamburger (with beetroot and pineapple!) a chocolate milk a couple of  dollars worth of chips  and  -  red sauce?

Perhaps life's precious moments such as these would  be  equally memorable if they'd been spent eating flustered leg of trout  in broccoli melancholia sauce or whatever but I doubt it.  It would probably  keep the seagulls away though!

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Premium
On 28/05/2023 at 19:15, PupCam said:

Evening All!

Nice chug to the Danish Camp where a suitable breakfast was consumed followed by a nice chug back.

I can't remember whether I mentioned the Beeza diagnosis?    Anyway, it wasn't the gearbox it was the primary chain rubbing on a thin headed bolt in the chaincase.  It's thin so that it doesn't rub on the primary chain case .....

Primary chain, cush drive and clutch assembly removed.   Big adjustable position  plate that blocks off the gapping hole in the back of the chain case that is held on by the thin headed screws removed, new screws with thinner heads made.   All re-assembled (the clutch bearing is a real b1tch to get in without losing the 32 not very captive balls) checking after each stage until chaincase fully buttoned up.

Result = Primary chain rubbing on a thin headed screw.

Repeat strip down, fettle, re-assembly

Repeat strip down, fettle, re-assembly

Puppers is now patently Peed-off and is sulking whilst the Beeza lurks very nervously in the garage hoping-upon-hope that an advert doesn't appear on Ebay along the lines of:

"1939 BSA 250 Empire Star(ish), recently re-built engine, new wheels, new wiring, new battery, re-lined tank.  Transmission needs slight attention.  Wonderful patina and full of potential (they all say that ....)"

Status = GRUMPY!

I do have a ball pein hammer which I used in the past to convert bolt heads to rivets but I am not sure which shed it is in..  I forsee shims thick washers and collars in your future.

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

Perhaps life's precious moments such as these would  be  equally memorable if they'd been spent eating flustered leg of trout  in broccoli melancholia sauce or whatever but I doubt it.

The most memorable meals that I've had are certainly the ones in nicer restaurants and I will happily stipulate that there is no substitute for fresh ingredients.

But I don't have a personal chef and I'm not going to cook like that every day for myself.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 15

2 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

The most memorable meals that I've had are certainly the ones in nicer restaurants and I will happily stipulate that there is no substitute for fresh ingredients.

its horses for courses (in some countries they are  the main course!) 

Fancy restaurants = fancy food you'd hope.

Beach, Footy,  Ecca etc  =  What it was originally made from should not be recognisable. 

• Funny 17

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

But I don't have a personal chef and I'm not going to cook like that every day for myself.

True, but (with apologies to a certain bear) I tend to think that the beverages (wines, in my case) may have had a significant input to the memories.

• Like 12

Today was Memorial Day - intended to commemorate those who gave their all in armed service of the United States, but just as much for backyard cookouts, and the unofficial first day of summer.

The weather was scintillating - sunny and around 27°C but I didn't have plans.

Unless actually attending a memorial event, it's a weird day. Television is odd. Though a holiday, programming-wise, it is a Monday - with the usual round of daytime television with some sports thrown in. Some of the morning talk shows were recorded today, others were reruns. Neither mattered to me - there was plenty of Parisian red clay tennis to watch. The evening news was 'phoned in. I doubt they had more than one reporter on duty and presented recycled story after story.

My dinner (in some ways) resembled @polybear's - sans curly fries. Pre-made pizza base with toppings* and a Caesar salad. I'll have the other half of it tomorrow.

* Pepperoni, Canadian bacon (ham), red onion, mushrooms, jalapeño peppers - with a little chili-infused olive oil drizzle when served.

• Like 17
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, BR60103 said:

Today was culture.  Stratford for Much Ado about Nothing.  First preview performance, but no noticeable errors.

At least it wasn't The Comedy of Errors then....  😀

• Agree 1
  • Funny 13

1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Today was Memorial Day - intended to commemorate those who gave their all in armed service of the United States, but just as much for backyard cookouts, and the unofficial first day of summer.

The weather was scintillating - sunny and around 27°C but I didn't have plans.

Unless actually attending a memorial event, it's a weird day. Television is odd. Though a holiday, programming-wise, it is a Monday - with the usual round of daytime television with some sports thrown in. Some of the morning talk shows were recorded today, others were reruns. Neither mattered to me - there was plenty of Parisian red clay tennis to watch. The evening news was 'phoned in. I doubt they had more than one reporter on duty and presented recycled story after story.

My dinner (in some ways) resembled @polybear's - sans curly fries. Pre-made pizza base with toppings* and a Caesar salad. I'll have the other half of it tomorrow.

* Pepperoni, Canadian bacon (ham), red onion, mushrooms, jalapeño peppers - with a little chili-infused olive oil drizzle when served.

Lovely day here too so everybody was "out at the lake" which means the population of our little community has quadrupled 😀

We are feeling a bit out of it because it seems the in thing is to have a four-seater buggy thingy to zip down to the restaurant at the marina or to cruise over to visit your pals. I have considered hooking up the trailer to the tractor to transport MrsID down to the restaurant but I don't think it's quite the right thing.

• Like 13
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Off to Derbyshire later.  I had intended going to the walk in x ray clinic before going but, being a post back holiday day I won't.. the Marie Celeste  needs to pass on my referral before I can attend.. nothing on my medical records so far..

I have had some magnificent meals over the years.. one, in Switzerland at the Musee du Gastronomy  was 12 little courses of very nice food matched to the wine served. But its also nice to have simple meals. A made up buffet meal in the square in Frascatt bought from the open air market. Ham, cheese, olives,tomatoes, local pizza, with a carafe of Frascatti wine seeing the sun go down over the land below Frascatti was really nice. 

Sometimes it's not just the food but the company you are with.. an excellent Lobster as part of this year's Chineses New Year Celebrations with two very good friends was very memorable....

Any road up..Time to drink my tea and.. gerronwithit!

Hope @grandadbobis OK.

Stay safe!

Baz

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

From my experience, most pies at sporting / outdoor events are mostly made of gravy that a tiny amount of meat passed by. So the pie crust is mostly wheat flour, the gravy is mostly wheat flour, and wheat flour is cheap.

Many chippys went that way, although the one I use between radar museum duties and MRC has pies that have a high meat content.

Mooring Awl.

5 hours sleep plus 3 hours sleep, I needed that.

Ben the I'd like to go out now Collie appeared, so a gentle stroll has been had, Ben not noticing the muntjac and rabbits in the distance. Dull grey skies, quite breezy, cool, max forecast today 13C.

The grass is getting too long , definitely needs a mow, I think I'll combine it with a bone fire tomorrow.

Today's plans 

A drive to my former place of employment, to collect a key to Hickling sailing club for the 3 Rivers Race. A chat to the guys there will also be had.

Time for breaky.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Bear here.....

Walked into Wickes at opening time (0630), found the bits I need without too much agg and home again by 0705 for brekkies.  Big Tick.

Right, time to crack on with the great refurb.....

In other news....

How to get the interior of your car remodelled:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-us-canada-65751318

And finally....

B'sterds - they're War Graves; they most definitely get the Dumb Award - the very last place this Bear would want to be is on a ship where 80+ year old munitions that've been sitting in Sea Water are stored:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-65750908

Actually, I'm amazed that there's enough profit in such activities to make it worthwhile - the running costs for a ship that size must be scary (though if there's sound evidence that there's a valuable cargo such as oodles of Gold then it makes better commercial sense).

I hope the ship is confiscated permanently.

Bear Gone.

• Like 7
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

45 minutes ago, AndyID said:

Lovely day here too so everybody was "out at the lake" which means the population of our little community has quadrupled 😀

We are feeling a bit out of it because it seems the in thing is to have a four-seater buggy thingy to zip down to the restaurant at the marina or to cruise over to visit your pals. I have considered hooking up the trailer to the tractor to transport MrsID down to the restaurant but I don't think it's quite the right thing.

Hmm how about a throne and she could wave as she goes past the onlookers. Mind you to do it properly you'd have get togged up in a page boy outfit along with a white wig. To finish it off could you spray paint the trailer gold?

• Like 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium
On 28/05/2023 at 21:40, Two_sugars said:

southern42 . . . . keep it up . . . those of us who still strive for the next tune, on whatever we play, . . . salute you.

John

That means a lot. Thanks, John.

• Like 11
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Usual stiffness this morning but the joints are now freeing up. Some shopping is required today so off to Tess Coes this afternoon. But first a few things to do with things that run on parallel strips of metal.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, polybear said:

Bear here.....

Walked into Wickes at opening time (0630), found the bits I need without too much agg and home again by 0705 for brekkies.  Big Tick.

Right, time to crack on with the great refurb.....

In other news....

How to get the interior of your car remodelled:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-us-canada-65751318

Trashed the car interior while he was about it.

• Agree 8