The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

Returned from Stoke Mandeville with a dimished bank account and a small bag of bits to show for it.

Only a small bag?  You weren't trying.....

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 11

9 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

it is a deliberate and cynical ploy to keep the “wrong” citizens from voting….

An awful lot of that does intentionally happen in some places, but I don't think it is relevant to the dress code for photographs implied in the article.

• Like 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

9 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

One wonders why Bear Towers needs so many alarms. Surely, PB isn’t that paranoid? Or is it because Bear Towers is so old that it exudes Carbon Monoxide, Argon and other gasses on a regular basis and is prone to burst into flame at the drop of a hat?

Code here requires an operating smoke detector in every bedroom (or enclosed living space) and at least one in the hallway on each level. A carbon monoxide detector is recommended on each level.

That's how my home was configured. There are about eight of them (each a combination smoke / CO detector). They talk to each other when alarming, between the horrible shrieking and say "fire" and "carbon monoxide" when tested.

For insulation purposes, modern construction is close to airtight - greatly increasing the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning related to faulty or poorly vented combustion appliances (like fireplaces gas stoves, furnaces and clothes dryers). My home has two permanently 'on' extraction fans - one in the downstairs lavatory and one in the laundry (upstairs).

There is a lot of talk of mandating suppression systems (like sprinklers) in rental spaces. (They are required in hotels.)

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. The arthritis and sciatica are hiding and I'm not looking for them! Still feeling tired from yesterdays exertions so not doing anything that requires any effort. 

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Another day has been spent carrying out repairs to the workshop. By the time I packed up for the day, I’d given the south wall a second sanding, I then applied filler to the small cracks that were in some of the wooden pieces. I then made a start on the west facing wall. This wall has the door and windows in, so there’s a lot less sanding to do, but I did need to remove a section of decking to get at the lowest edge of the bottom pieces. Thankfully most of the paint on this wall is sound, so only a couple of small sections needed to be stripped. I shall carry on again tomorrow. 

• Like 18

3 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Is that a professional opinion or just a personal comment. Just asking for clarity.

The only opinions of those who didn't think that way came from my dogs, and even then they were a bit undecided.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium

Recent article in newspaper about the new underground streetcar line in Toronto.

toronto star may 16

The line is 19km along a pretty straight main road. They've been working on it for 12 years. There's no admitted finish date yet, although there are receding estimates.

This is the line that was built to P4 but they just found 800 meters to EM gauge.

If you can't access the article, a brief summary

CN Tower: Three years

Landing a man on the moon: Eight years

Canadian Pacific Railway: Four years

Hadrian’s Wall: Six years

The Roman Colosseum: Eight years

Panama Canal: 10 years

The London Underground (first line): Three years

The Channel Tunnel: Six years

War and Peace: Six years

and a few things that took a little longer -- I won't list them here.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 14

3 minutes ago, BR60103 said:

The [Eglinton LRT] is 19km along a pretty straight main road. They've been working on it for 12 years. There's no admitted finish date yet, although there are receding estimates.

Perhaps it will be completed before HS2 Phase 1 - currently planned for 2029-2033.

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Grizz said:

5A3F1802-E0CF-4E1D-A407-95C8A43E5F03.jpeg.5c702d61ebbbdcab4ba2a3a25a52e34f.jpegUho…slippery slope..:😂

And Burny’s Big Beavers are smashing it out in the John Harvey Tavern…John Lee Hooker at the moment. 

A43F58D3-394B-4D0D-9AC5-5CA75ED307BB.jpeg.9dbe2986f8bd50db76462677b5f9f33e.jpeg

We have sat in that corner of the pub a number of times.  Need another visit to Lewes in the near future.

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

There seems to be a general problem in much of the developed world in delivering infrastructure programs. 

We have design and manufacturing tools earlier generations couldn't dream of and computational power that allows analytical work that would once have consumed teams for weeks to do a tiny fraction of the calculations which are now done at  the press of a keyboard. We have far better control of materials technology, joining techniques, much more capable lifting gear etc.

Part of it is better health and safety management, but that can't account for all of it. More rigorous environmental controls, but again it can't account for all of it. And if I look at quality and longevity of a lot of old infrastructure relative to modern stuff it clearly isn't that we build to higher standards.

• Like 10
  • Agree 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Morning All,

Early riser today through choice,  even though I’ve been awake most of the night.

Had breakfast etc and waiting to to pick bil and nephew up for trip to the big smoke. We’re going by coaches put on by the football club which are departing from the club at 7.00am for a ko at 3.00.

It going to be a long day particularly if the result doesn’t go in our favour. I’m a really bad loser, it’s not the ‘winning’  of the prize (moving up a division), its more not losing to (ie beating) the De-da’s from down the A61.

Anyway better get a move on, don’t want to miss the bus!

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl,

A poor nights sleep I doubt I've had 4 hours.

Part of the problem is aches and pains from the undercarriage. Cramp this morning just trying to put the trousers on.

A slow patrol with Ben the now sleeping Collie, as I hobbled about.

Plans for today counting my  the MRCs money. , I doubt legs will permit much more.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16