The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

3 hours ago, polybear said:

Does it make a difference - and are these the same birds that cr@p all over the Bearmobile?

It's green and wood colour and I know the name of it as well, which is pretty good going for Bear.  No white flowery bits though.....

So Bear is clearly not into horticulture then?

We are all supposed to be doing our bit for the planet my dear bear, even ones who know the names that they are cutting/pruning or hacking and slashing at.

The birds are obviously responding to your removal of a food source. 

• Like 11
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

The weather has been glorious, so I’ve spent most of the day outside. By the time I’d finished for the day, I’ve stripped paint of 75% of the south facing workshop wall. This wall gets most of the sun and is the wall that needed most work doing to it, as a lot of paint had blistered and flaked off, I also had to replace the some of the ends on this wall too. This wall is 3m x 3m so is a fairly large expanse of woodwork. The west wall also has some flaking paint, but as this also has the door and windows, it’s not quite as bad. I’ll need to use a ladder to reach the top part of the wall, then I’ll go over the whole wall again with gradually finer grades sandpaper. Thankfully, on the north and east facing walls, the paint hasn’t blistered or flaked off, so I’m hoping that I can get away with not stripping the paint off completely and just giving it all a light sanding. I’ll know after I’ve done a test section beside the door tomorrow. I’ve attached a couple of photos of todays work on the workshop.

Below are the 2 new rear corner pieces, which are just resting in place.

IMG_2582.jpeg.81869069b33ff483cd7f2ec6b3a50ce1.jpeg

Finally, the south facing wall, showing how much paint has been removed.

IMG_2583.jpeg.4274590921d72a25b0a133a2281c50dd.jpeg

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Tony_S said:

I hope Bear doesn’t jump in the bin after the pyracantha prunings have been put in. 

Bear did....numerous times.....

Perhaps gardening in flip flops isn't so bright after all.

4 hours ago, Tony_S said:

I thought it was Mickey?

Yep - Mickey the Bearmobile....

Bear here.....

Bear went into battle with the Pyracanthus.....the forelegs are a little scratched up now, though paw piercings were kept out of double figures, which is a bit of a result based on previous experience.  Progress was made somewhat more entertaining by the appearance of Miss Poland during proceedings (several times in fact) - Bear just happened to be at the top of the step ladder at the time so the 6ft fence wasn't an issue;  Miss P was sporting a rather trendy pair of shorts as well.....🤪

I also assisted NNNND with the assembly of a new hosepipe & reel she'd just bought from Tess n' Co - with no instructions as to how it should all be assembled (it looked very much like the hose and reel were sold as separate items).  It all seemed to turn out ok in the end, which is a Tick.

And after all that fun Bear decided that a wedge of sticky gooey choccy cake with Salted Caramel Ice cream on the side had been earned.  Another Tick.

In other news.....

There was a feature on the lunchtime news where the reporter was discussing how much her usual Supermarket Shop had increased by over the last year(?) - the biggest % increase going to.....Frozen Crinkle Cut Oven Chips 🤬  Turdycurses.

BG

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 5

10 hours ago, polybear said:

I wonder if the security barriers would be triggered if you walked out without paying for them....

They were wrapped in 'unbreakable' wire wraps with a large plastic security transponder.

10 hours ago, polybear said:

Incidentally, does Lego cost obscene amounts as it does in the UK?  It's a pile of plastic, after all.

LEGO bricks are extremely well manufactured to very tight tolerances. The LEGO 'clones' (now that the patent has expired) do not perform as well. Additionally LEGO quality control is fabulous as is their customer service.

Having said that, LEGO is experimenting with new, more sustainable (less fossil fuel) plastics. So far they don't work as well.

The set I mentioned (76423) retails for £114.99 and $129.99 in the UK and US respectively. (Less than a Deltic in beary funds.)

A random Google currency converter indicated that £114.99 is presently $142.23, so perhaps slightly less expensive in the US market.

It's easy to compare prices - the websites are essentially identical lego.com/en-gb and lego.com/en-us

It's not clear where LEGO components are made. Boxes indicate "Components made in Denmark, Mexico, Hungary, China and the Czech Republic". I'm pretty sure the Chinese factory is only for the 'local' market. I believe that many sets sold in the US are made in Mexico.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 9

12 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

have you considered baking your own?

In my married days, my spouse did just that. I don't remember where I found the recipe but I had a Queensland high school home economics text book and it might have come from that. Either way, the results were excellent. And so was her recreation of the family pavlova recipe (now sadly forbidden to me.)

That pie recipe is now in the possession of my granddaughter who is *supposed* to publish her late grandmother's recipes but other teenage distractions have slowed publication. (I'm looking forward to the red beans and rice* recipe too.)

* Louisiana comfort food.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 16

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

... Today has been marking and admin – the story of my life currently. ...

https://johncolby.wordpress.com/2023/05/24/fluctuating-still-and-are-they-catching-up-with-boris/

... and then some students want to sue because they did not get 'personal' tuition,  it beggars belief!

Edited by PeterBB
splelin.
  • Like 1
  • Agree 8
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Anyone seen tonight 'Railways the Making of a Nation?  The film was interesting but all the speech was way out of alignment with the every person providing comments including the presenter - pity.

Obviously avoiding the food blog information; cameras - apart from the Pentax SLR still have a small Pentax Optio 750Z - would be nice if I could readily transfer to the computer - miss the DVD and other bits that make compouters useful.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Friendly/supportive 9

3 hours ago, Tony_S said:

That was about French Antarctic exploration.

I'm tempted to suggest the discussion must have been brief - but that would be out of ignorance

Australians are very proud of Douglas Mawson and his Antarctic adventures. Wikipedia lumps his expeditions under "British Empire/Commonwealth". Most of the early 20th century "Antarctic exploration" was European post-colonial posturing.

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

the story of my life currently

An occupational hazard, one imagines. Thankfully "this too shall pass" applies, in the fullness of time.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 12

36 minutes ago, PeterBB said:

... and then some students want to sue because they did not get 'personal' tuition,  it beggars belief!

Students 2020 (during lockdown) - we're deprived because we can't get face to face tuition

Sr=tudents 2022/3 - we're deprived because you're making us come into the university.

Actual from our registrar

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

2 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

Students 2020 (during lockdown) - we're deprived because we can't get face to face tuition

Sr=tudents 2022/3 - we're deprived because you're making us come into the university.

Actual from our registrar

Somehow, John, I don’t think that your (ahem) “students” would like “The Captain Cynical University of Life” which actually reflects the real world.

With a faculty including such tough-but-fair lecturers such as @polybear, @jamie92208, @PupCam, @Gwiwer, @grandadbob etc., the students would soon find out that their post-adolescent whinging, whining and shenanigans cuts no ice.

To pass students must provide the correct answer to just two questions:

1. Did you do ALL the required coursework? Yes/No
  2. Did you achieve at least a 75% proficiency in the material you had to master? Yes/No

One other point:

NO REFUNDS!

• Like 6
  • Agree 10

• RMweb Premium

I assumed it was when there's a side turning on the section of the road covered by the traffic lights and someone's decided this traffic should also be controlled by lights. . 

• Agree 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, The White Rabbit said:

I assumed it was when there's a side turning on the section of the road covered by the traffic lights and someone's decided this traffic should also be controlled by lights. . 

Yes. It's what the sign says. Adds to the delays and is probably to stop people thinking the lights have stuck on red.

• Like 7
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Sometimes they even have 4 way  roadworks traffic lights, at a cross roads that wouldn't normally have them . But they're digging a hole in the middle...

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Sometimes they even have 4 way  roadworks traffic lights, at a cross roads that wouldn't normally have them . But they're digging a hole in the middle...

They need to have someone looking into that

• Agree 2
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PeterBB said:

I do hope that if they get some - or all of their money back then the University cancels any Degree awarded.  No fee - no Degree.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7

• RMweb Premium

Bear here.....

I received a text from the Docs today - it seems they're upgrading their phone system at the moment; hopefully this will put an end to the bullsh1t bingo but the jury's out on that one until I get to test it.

Call me cynical but I remain to be convinced....

BG

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7
  • Friendly/supportive 5