The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

Spent a Deltic on football tickets yesterday and now trying to  spend another Deltic on coach travel.Called 17 times and keep getting cut off. 
pah AND turdycurses

Two Deltics...for watching a game of kickball?? 😲

• Agree 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Discovered there are two standby modes on the Humax, the low power one (0.4W) switches off the feed through. The high power one does allow the feed through at the expense of a 19W power consumption...

That's 19Wx 24x365 or 166kw in a year. At the current price 166.6*34p = £56.65 a year for having the privilege of having the feed through switched on.... 

RF TV splitter ? £2.79... ordered..

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Good afternoon from the Charente.  Shopping done and Archie walked.  It' fascinating how the crops are chani g every day. In 2 days one barley field has gone to pale yellow from pale green.  The maize seems to be getting taller by the minute and some sunflowers are growing well.

3 hours later I'm back  from Supervising  a friend's pool being de winterised. 

Regards to all. 

Jamie

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Awl,

More fig tree area cleared, discussions followed on what to to do with the area.

The concrete path leads from the house twenty foot down the garden.

The last 6 ft has the concrete cap over one of the wells to its left.

The decision is the area between well and house will also be slabbed / concreted..

The comfrey in that area will be moved to a low raised bed in front of the gas tank.

The concrete well cap will be broken up ( that'll be fun) and the well wall restored to a reasonable height. Rooves, winding handles etc have yet to be discussed.

I'm considering how to:

"frame" the area,

hide the gas tank,

Add some built in seating..,

all low maintenance of course.

Ben taken for a long walk he stopped and sat down twice on the way back, black coats, sunshine and old age are getting to him.

Chilli con carne now slowly bubbling

Time to go for a stir..

Oh a step forward has occurred, the spare bed room which became the art room was of course hers. The other spare bedroom/ former library, which is becoming the computer room was "ours".. but SWMBO said today "your room".. so small things that run on parallel bits of metal might be admitted soon...

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, The White Rabbit said:

Things obviously are rather uncertain at the moment but I did hope that when I gave up full time work I'd spend more time cooking. Triple cooked chips are on the 'round tuit' list. If I get there, I may ask for your advice on a 'starting point' recipe. 

Bottom shelf - middle shelf - top shelf....

Wasted, this Bear....should've been a Chef....

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium

Bear here....

A quick raid down the Co-op - milk n' all that....

I was rather pleased to see that Bear's very favourite Pizza's were part of a special deal - two of 'em plus a Tub of Ben n' Jerry's Ice Cream.  Yahoooooooo........

.....but......

...they had the Pizza's but no Ice Cream - and none "out back" either 🤬 Rattin' Piggin' Turdycurses.  Of course the computerised system can't cope if it doesn't scan all items in the deal - it'll just charge the normal price for those items instead.  Poo.

In other news....

I've just checked on the Gov Website to check that the pension top-up I made some weeks ago has had the desired effect - it has; Bear is now maxed-out on my old-age pension - it's as good as it can ever be.  All I need now is:

• For the Gov to keep the rules unchanged until I retire - no shifting the goal posts.
  • Not to drop down dead before I can claim it.....

In other, other news.....

The Orange One's gob has got him into trouble yet again:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-65678968

Hope she wins.  Again.....🤣

How to upset SWMBO:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/lifestyle/travel/woman-urged-to-divorce-her-husband-who-ditched-her-for-first-class-flight/ar-AA1bwDUa?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=fabe1dd04d7a4c21889c9a7965e82b24&ei=27

BG

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 3

7 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

if there's one thing life has taught me (and there probably isn't) it is never to question the excellentness of meat pies in Australia, 

Too bloody right mate! Ya cant beat a good old Aussie rat coffin!

• Funny 15

Chewsday, and late reporting...

Yesterday and today a variety of work/report updating.

Yesterday a RETURN to COSTCO as the Mrs has now decided on the Air Fryer/Toaster Oven she wants, AT COSTCO - but, but, but, we were just there!!!!

Wasn't too bad, actually got out without decided that humanity was completely crazy and all the crazies were with us, jury out on that.

Not much else for later today, probably staying INSIDE, air quality heading into the sh!!ter again, and I can already feel it.

16c first thing, partly sunny, light breeze CARP air quality. 27c the expected high.

Onward <kof> <kof> <wheeze>

• Friendly/supportive 19

8 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

... if there's one thing life has taught me (and there probably isn't) it is never to question the excellentness of meat pies in Australia

*Most* of us won't mind if you pick on "Four n' Twenty". (Deep down we know they are industrial food simulacra.) Criticizing the 'local' pie shop however is another matter entirely.

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, The White Rabbit said:

I did have a snap of an aussie's ideal salad

There was a Foster's "How to Speak Australian" commercial years ago (plenty on YouTube, but not the one I want) where there is a big steak on a grill with the voiceover:

"Steak!"

Followed by a sprig of parsley dropped on it, with the voiceover:

"Salad!"

I'm wondering if that is the one?

• Agree 2
  • Funny 10

How can you tell when a reporter didn't do well with science subjects at school:

This article:

CNN: New York City is sinking due to its million-plus buildings, study says

Which includes the following:

This gradual process could spell trouble for a city around which the sea level has been rising more than twice as fast as the global rate — and is projected to rise between 8 inches and 30 inches by 2050.

[buildings] weighed about 1.68 trillion pounds (762 billion kilograms) — equivalent to roughly 1.9 million fully loaded Boeing 747-400s.

the city is sinking: “The average is about 1 to 2 millimeters a year, with some areas of greater subsidence that are up to about 4½ millimeters a year,” Parsons said.

What a hodgepodge of units! The final reference is a direct quote so I am obliged to let  4½ pass (rather than 4.5mm).

But pounds and kg?  When the perfectly useful tons and tonnes are right there. Of course using tons requires the distinction between US (short) tons and Imperial (long) tons. But surely 762Mt is clearer, even if spelled out as 762 megatonnes / 840 million (US) tons?

Who can readily conceive the mass of a fully loaded 747-400? (Given this is NYC, surely garbage trucks or subway trains would be a better comparison if such junk comparisons are to be used?)

The reader is left to do the arithmetic on inches in 27 years of sea level rise versus mm per year of subsidence.

At the fastest rates of: 30" / 27 years (28mm / year) means sea level rise is >6X the fastest subsidence rate of 4.5mm / year at an annual, combined, relative sea-level rise of <33 mm.

The article makes the claim:

A September 2022 study found that 44 of the 48 most populous coastal cities have areas that are sinking faster than sea levels are rising.

Which isn't supported by the data in the article - at least for NYC, which may or may not be in the study - I'm not paying for a subscription to find out.

EDIT: The article was filed under the SPACE+SCIENCE banner

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land (belated). Late due to putting the washing on the drying racks. It used to take an hour at most but now takes at least twice as long. Now to sit down and watch TV. 

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

surely 762Mt is clearer, even if spelled out as 762 megatonnes

How many people though, only relate megatonnes/tons to the ‘size’ of nuclear explosions.

Edited by BoD
  • Like 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

11 minutes ago, BoD said:

How many people though, only relate megatonnes/tons to the ‘size’ of nuclear explosions.

It would still have been written out as 840 million (US) tons, (which is far more sensible than 1.68 trillion pounds). That doesn't have the megatonne implication - which, here, would have been reported as "762 million Metric tons" anyway - again superior to 762 billion kilograms.

As much as the use of foot-pound furlongs per fortnight annoys me, I'm OK with them being properly used in US reporting.

There are subcultures that use mixed units* ( 4mm per foot comes to mind) but generally it's far better to avoid combinations, unless metric and imperial units are used for all quantities.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, The White Rabbit said:

I did have a snap of an aussie's ideal salad - but can't find it now, pah. It was a similar philosophy to that plate.

2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

There was a Foster's "How to Speak Australian" commercial years ago (plenty on YouTube, but not the one I want) where there is a big steak on a grill with the voiceover:

"Steak!"

Followed by a sprig of parsley dropped on it, with the voiceover:

"Salad!"

I'm wondering if that is the one?

tomuch.jpg.10187778b394659f1a61d64fd8cf8f8e.jpg

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 15