The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning all....Been out snookering all morning and just got back.

It's all happening. The young girl who ran off with her teacher has been found in Bordeaux, Hamilton has gone to Mercedes and the errant turnout has returned courtesy of Mrs S....

Jeff asked me about the wiring of a Marcway turnout so what better way than to photo copy/scan a real one and then colour the individual live areas. What numpty left the turnout under the scanner?.... :no:

I knew I'd built the bloody thing....Still I've got a spare now if one fails....

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 5

Sitting watching The Ryder Cup and it seems the US have gained an unfair advantage. Seems every train driver for miles around is sounding their horns to add to the general cacophony that's going on.

Taken a quick look on Google maps and there must be a pretty busy line just half a mile away....

Ian, do tourists need to carry these breath test kits?

We're driving down to Paris in November....

Andy

Yes, all motorists are required to have two of them. Having failed to receive a set ordered online, our daughter managed to buy some for us in Halfords. I have heard that in France the larger branches of le Clerc or Hyper U carry them and also the pharmacies, of which there are loads in France!

Edited by Ashcombe

• RMweb Gold

Sitting watching The Ryder Cup and it seems the US have gained an unfair advantage. Seems every train driver for miles around is sounding their horns to add to the general cacophony that's going on.

Taken a quick look on Google maps and there must be a pretty busy line just half a mile away....

Or a siding with a couple of locos shunting back & forth?

The Hamilton move is more interesting - perhaps born out of frustration from another less than wonderful season with McLaren as much as anything else but it will be interesting to see if he's got the maturity to cope with Ross Brawn developing a team and improved cars around him. Singapore must have been the last straw for him.

• RMweb Gold

It's the weekend (nearly) and glad I am, not the most satisfying of work weeks. Not much planned for the weekend, just driving the RAT (Real Ale Train) tomorrow night.

Apparently eldavo and guests will be on the Watercress Belle which we pass on a few occasions. If I see him I shall have to resist the urge to ask him, using sign language, if he is on the second course.

Have a good one.

• Like 2

Yes, all motorists are required to have them. Having failed to receive a set ordered online, our daughter managed to buy some for us in Halfords. I have heard that in France the larger branches of le Clerc or Hyper U carry them and also the pharmacies, of which there are loads in France!

Availability is still patchy in France, but there are electronic versions available approx. €80 without a use by date - did Hornby miss a market here? :mail:

Edited by dilbert

Or a siding with a couple of locos shunting back & forth?

The Hamilton move is more interesting - perhaps born out of frustration from another less than wonderful season with McLaren as much as anything else but it will be interesting to see if he's got the maturity to cope with Ross Brawn developing a team and improved cars around him. Singapore must have been the last straw for him.

A Man in the USA speaks:

Medinah is on a main METRA commuter line (Milwaukee District/West Line) into Chicago's Union Station. The railroad line is actually owned by Canadian Pacific Railway and is part of their Elgin Division. Historically this was part of the Milwaukee Road, Chicago to Omaha. This line alone probably carries as much freight in a year as the total freight movements per annum n the UK..............

The last part is an uninformed guess based on the fact that US freight movements per annum, in total, equal the combined UK freight movements in tonnage from Queen Victoria's death until now. :mail:

I guarantee that Lewis Hamilton will not win another championship whilst he is with Mercedes. :triniti:

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

• RMweb Gold

A Man in the USA speaks:

Medinah is on a main METRA commuter line (Milwaukee District/West Line) into Chicago's Union Station. The railroad line is actually owned by Canadian Pacific Railway and is part of their Elgin Division. Historically this was part of the Milwaukee Road, Chicago to Omaha. This line alone probably carries as much freight in a year as the total freight movements per annum n the UK..............

Best, Pete.

However I do wonder if the 'commuter line' is anywhere near as busy in terms of trains per hour as, say, the LT&S or the GWML out to Airport Junction (which also has capacity for one freight per hour in each direction one of which is the longest freight train regularly running in the UK on the days it takes a full load).

I cannot imagine, Mike, that there would be more than three commuter trains per hour in each direction. I don't even think it is the busiest passenger service out of Chicago - or even close to.

I was being deliberately provocative - I'm having that kind of day, sorry!

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

At last, I've managed to get some me time and some computer simultaneously, so I have managed to get caught up with the comings and goings of the wonderful world of ERs.

Good to see Ian active here, and hoping that you're getting along OK. ALso hello to a few new faces and the odd welcome back to a few new/old faces as well, from what I can see. The more the merrier, of course.

Once I'd picked up 30747 and we'd taken Lily for a shower in Kirkby Lonsdale I got stuck with "I'm off to art group - the shopping list's on the worktop, and DON'T spend more than 50 quid. Ah well, a trip to Asda, and a spend in excess of that, as I loaded up with unlisted extras in the hope that I'll be barred from that job again! Some hope LOL.

Today, I was having a quiet sit, when this happened:

post-103-0-90135300-1348847223_thumb.jpg

Regards to All

Stewart

ps I see Jam is lurking at the mo - keep us posted, mate

• Like 8

The latter day HMV - I love that photo Stewart!

Found a movie of the "Rider Cup" line.

Quite interesting, particularly the second train. The ditch lights look very effective! Shot of the double decker undercarriage too.

I do NOT condone Trespassing, even in the 'States..........

Best, Pete.

• Like 1

Hi all

When I got up this morning I just couldn't be bothered to do anything, but after some coffee and a good talking to (I often talk to myself) I managed to get three sides of my station building cut out. I will complete the final side tonight so at least I have not wasted a day as I thought I might earlier.

By the look of a couple of other posts I was not the only one struggling this morning.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The latter day HMV - ...

Apart from "Intruder Alert" or the "phone is ringing" barking Robbie is very quiet and doesn't respond to music or even sounds on the television. Last night while I was preparing the butternut squash risotto and listening to music he came into the kitchen looked at the iPod dock music thingy, did a real hound dog sound and walked off. Not sure if it was approval or disapproval.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Some days these days really are unpredictable. I mean, all I did was partly-finish the retaining walls for the good yard, and took them out on site in the barn to see how well they might look. Not bad, but much work needed to make them sit square etc.

Then I noticed this

post-4295-0-57994500-1348848438_thumb.jpg

And a view of a bit more - his tail is just visible top right

post-4295-0-40544700-1348848513_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Apparently eldavo and guests will be on the Watercress Belle which we pass on a few occasions. If I see him I shall have to resist the urge to ask him, using sign language, if he is on the second course.

Similarly if I indicate it is only the first course please don't take (much) offence!

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold

No, it's much bigger than a slow-worm, with which I am familiar. It's a good 2 feet long or more. And it lives in the wall - that is where I saw it disappearing on returning after an hour. No, that hour wasn't spent having the screaming habdabs, but was a regular phonecall to my friendly headshrinker, talking about this and that - the snake got a mention, that's all.

I'm fairly certain it's a grass snake, although discretion is the better part etc. Makes visits to the railway barn a mite more interesting, whatever!

• Like 1

According to Ashers, one has to carry two of them.

Except, now she has edited the extra post, mine doesn't make any sense.

Altogether now: 'What's changed'.

Oops! Apologies to all. Have now re-edited it! Confused? You will be!

• Like 1