The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Thankfully I only know Meadowhall shopping centre, and that was bad enough, though if that way I'd normally also take in Marcway...

Afternoon Awl,

Counted cash into reserve cash box, updated computer records, that laptop decided to do an up date at the time.

Ladder, roof, long stick (8ft) with two nails end. Majority of grass / obstructions removed from the V between roof and err roof at 90 degrees. Enough removed to be able to put off buying scaffolding tower till June. I'll need to go up there again as the next rain will wash loose stuff into the gutter.

Of rain locally yesterday, some places received 70mm of rain in two hours...

After that decided to tackle SWMBO's old laptop, to see if it's any use. looking at the dates it's now 18 years old, no spares,  except for memory and hard drive updates are available. But it is 64 bit and still working except for WiFi. Final use not decided but it seems too good to dispose of.

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 10

22 minutes ago, big jim said:

It’s absolutely belting it down here in crewe, last year I installed a lean to/car port which has been an absolute god send on days like this, can’t get a car up the side of the house any more no but it’s useful for keeping us dry

Hang out your washing no matter the weather

• Like 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

19 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I spray the floor with Mr Sheen polish before sliding washing machines or similar in and out.

Shoulda shoved it myself to begin with, they were pushing against a lino that had decided to create a little stop block until I pulled it back out again.

What is clear though, delivery men fitting non dangerous items i.e. not gas or wired in electrics are only as skilled as the average person (me).  It's not that I couldn't do it myself, I had to unplumb the existing one myself last night and I pumbed it as well, but I was being a tad lazy and for 8 quid I had someone else remove the shipping bolts, do the heavy lifting and remove the packaging/take it away.

• Friendly/supportive 18

13 minutes ago, TheQ said:

After that decided to tackle SWMBO's old laptop, to see if it's any use. looking at the dates it's now 18 years old, no spares,  except for memory and hard drive updates are available. But it is 64 bit and still working except for WiFi. Final use not decided but it seems too good to dispose of.

I've got several old laptops and even some old hard drives that I won't get rid of, but they all old hard drives for a reason (one massively corrupted but managed to extract all the data intact) and laptops with faults or simply cr%p.  No real need to keep them, it's the paranoia and hoarder in me.

• Like 9
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Mention of lap-tops reminded me. My late brother didn't have a computer but his wife who passed away last year had several which we have come across while clearing the bungalow. All are password protected so we can't find what is on them. There may be information that might help with probate as her will (and subsequently my brothers) cannot be settled until we can trace some of her relatives.

• Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

All are password protected so we can't find what is on them.

Have you tried removing the hard drives and connecting them to another computer?

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 8

10 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

Autumn arrived again this morning cold and thick fog

After waiting for six months for a >20°C day* we are now anticipating not just summer but record heat over the weekend and into Monday where 35°C is forecast.

* Two weeks ago.

Today is supposed to be nice (24°C). I'd like to see more of that please.

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

... they dont open on a Wednesday

What sort of place doesn't open on a Wednesday? (Rhetorical, no need to answer directly.)

(I know of and understand owner-operated places that are open weekends, or at least Saturdays, and closed Mondays.) I guess one day is as good as another for a 'weekend' but Wednesday is hard to remember.

My local pharmacy (of a very large US chain) now has (monochrome laser) printed signage slapped up, saying "To serve you better we have new business hours ... CLOSED SATURDAY and SUNDAY".  I don't think I've ever seen this in a US metro area before. "Better?" Meh! I think not.

They are open in the early evenings on weekdays, but this would still be very inconvenient for weekday workers. In my old life it would have caught me out a lot. I can easily imagine travelling for business (returning late on Friday) and a script running out before Monday.

Insurance only permits refills with a smallish window of a few days before the previous script runs out.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

As there won’t be many trains about are you and PB going on one of these?image.jpeg.aab810afe97a41b483c8f42a68fb6db9.jpeg

Only if Bear does ALL the hard work! 🤣

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 16

32 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

What sort of place doesn't open on a Wednesday? (Rhetorical, no need to answer directly.)

The place has been recently extended and refurbished and after that, opening hours change. Its not clear on the website so rang up to confirm the shop was closed. Staff obviously busy doing mail order! 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

What sort of place doesn't open on a Wednesday?

Camborne.  

According to the late great comedian Jethro.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, polybear said:
3 hours ago, PupCam said:

You know how it is.  You get the insurance renewal invitation through at a grossly inflated cost.   You go on the "Go, Compare the Churchill Merekat.com" website which provides details of the same policy at a cheaper price than the quoted renewal.  You then phone the "provider" who explains that as a "special, loyal customer" (of one whole year ....) he can reduce the quote by a significant chunk, bringing the price down below the comparison site price as he does so.  I always like to query these people as to how this can be so.  

Bear takes the view that if they can offer a lower price when queried then they should've done so in the first place.  Why did they not?  Cos' they're a bunch of thievin' b'sterds, that's why

Some viewers may recall me telling the story of working in the insurance industry for a number of years.  While I never sold policies I was and remain wise to their sales pitches and some workarounds.  

Every quote can be talked down.  Especially online ones.  No computer can adequately assess the risk specific to your situation.  Neither can a human but humans can make more adjustments after asking a few questions and hopefully understanding the nuances of your answers.  

Each party seeking insurance is also at liberty to, if you like, barter with the human at the business end.  They aren't hard to find in most cases although a few insurers are notoriously shy of speaking in person.  It's cheaper to do everything online but you get the policy they program which is not necessarily the right one for you.  

My advice is to ALWAYS ask questions, seek a reduction in premium from any online quote with or without a good reason, ask about lowered excesses.  Check that the cover offered is what you want and be sure to understand what is NOT covered before signing up.  

You can always remind them of your 45-year unblemished driving record and low-mileage habits if appropriate.  You can always tell them that a competitor has offered slightly better cover for a little less (use an odd amount - say £37.45) and ask them to beat it.  Agents always have some leeway but exactly how much does vary and can depend upon their sales record and history.  It can also be affected by how many under-cuts they have already agreed to in that period.  

Every business is only in business for one thing - to make a profit.  Insurers are not charities and are not in it for the love of shouldering your risk.  But if all else fails and you place your trust in a deity of choice it's worth remembering they too are only there to make a prophet.  🤣

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1