The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

1 minute ago, iL Dottore said:

Something to add to my next Amazon book order ...

In full disclosure I've not read it - though it looks interesting and something I would read. It and the 'magpie' reference are familiar for a reason I can't quite pin down. (The Amazon cover has a parrot, so I might be conflating the metaphor.)

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Ordered £3.20 from Abebooks. Inc delivery. Worth the risk.

Mooring Awl,

4 hours, 1 hours, 2 hours sleep.

Right forepaw / wrist and right ankle both stiff and slightly painful.

Lots of flooding pictures of Cambridge - Peterborough way,  on TV at the moment, the upper sections of rivers of the broads are on flood alert. We are getting more rain after lunch today.

Plans for today,

another go at clearing the valley in the roof using a long stick.

Sort cash and some bills for the MRC.

Might build the " bridge" for the new computer room.

15 minutes more relaxation, before getting up and getting SWMBO'S breakfast.

Time to... Relax..

• Like 18

5 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

I think it's true for any intellectual concept, it can be originated but how it is used, interpreted and evolves is outside the control of the originator. In science each scientific discovery is essentially a segue to further discoveries, in literature a writer can have an understanding of what their work should mean but how a reader interprets it is entirely down to them, ditto music, paintings etc. And identifying origin can be a rabbit hole as there are very few genuinely original ideas and concepts. English is like most languages in having roots in older languages and interactions with other modern languages. 

There are relatively few words in English where the origins cannot be traced or derived from either an ancestral language or another current language. IIRC “pig” and “dog” are two where there are no known cognates.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 9

4 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

He is right. The Spanish in the former Spanish colonies is different from castellano (Castilian Spanish) - in pronunciation, grammar and vocabulary. (Plenty of links like this one.)

So is the language of the Québécois and French.

Spain has a number of other languages- the distinction between language and dialect can be debated; not just Basque which is a language isolate but more closely related languages like Catalan and Galician the latter of which is sometimes classified as a dialog Portuguese. France too has a whole substrate of languages that are not actually French, Occitan (literally the Langue d’Oc) being one. The Academies Francaise was set up to ensure the primacy of French in a country where at the time of Napoleon it was not spoken by the majority odttbr country)

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium

Bear here....

Wellwottacrapnitethatwos....☹️

Bluddy No.1 Alert at not long after 2am.....still awake at half three and Bear was seriously thinking about giving the Leccy Box Hatch a second coat.....at 4am I was wishing I had.....Piggin' Turdycurses.

Today sees Bear gluin' wallpaper on the last remaining wall, followed by that last(?) coat of paint on the hatch.  After that it's MIUABGAD.

In other news.....

It seems The Orange One is convinced a huge miscarriage of justice has taken place so will be appealing...sumfink to do with a "Biased Judge" n' all that.....🤣

BG

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Blue sky here with sunshine but scattered showers, possibly thundery, may move in this afternoon.  11°C rising to 17°C.

Didn't have a good night, woke every couple of hours.  

Main task this morning is to ferry a friend to hospital for a (hopefully) minor procedure.  Not sure yet whether I'll be collecting him or he's got to stay in.

If the sun stays out for the morning  the gazebo should be dry enough to take down.

Time for some breakfast.

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 11

The saga of a will it or wont it arrive washer dryer continues.

When I ordered it I was informed within 10 minutes that due to a website glitch I had ordered something out of stock, would I like to wait 2 weeks or get a refund.  I chose the former as it was a very good deal (from the manufacturer's website).

Then two days later I get a message from the delivery company, to book my delivery, checked with manufacturer, yes it was delivered to the courier and it was coming.

Booked delivery for today, it arrives between 11:45 and 13:45, two texts to confirm this including one this morning and if I check tracking I can name the driver and his mate.

So why have I received an email from the same courier now asking me to book my delivery slot for the washer dryer they have received for me.........

Why is it so hard to get a bargain these days...🤣

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 16

Autumn arrived again this morning cold and thick fog but the sun is trying to burn it off, eye test this morning, I just know that will cost an arm and a leg as SWMBO will "need" at least two new pairs as the others are two years old, it's not like they wear out is it?

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Still troubled by the arthritis but the Nurofen is now working. When it comes to authors the best ones are those that can paint a picture with words. That is why the likes of Charles Dickens, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle  and H G Wells have endured.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Quite a nice video tour of a Maersk Triple E, it's amazing how quickly container ship sizes have grown. Nowadays a capacity of 18,000TEU (the batch 1 Triple E) is 6000TEU behind the biggest boats, it's not that long ago that 6000TEU was considered huge. I remember the P&O Nedlloyd Southampton boats of the mid 90's being marvels of enormity at 6,600TEU.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

The weather is very much like yesterday, one minute the sun is shining, the next the sky is grey and threatening. So, I’m not going to chance setting up the chop saw, so I’m going to make a start filling and sanding the small gaps in the joints where the new starts and old wood ends. It’s something that needs doing and can also be stopped and started quickly if needed. If it rains, I can always mark out where the cuts will be done on the back wall from inside the workshop and fill in any gaps on the inside too! 

Back later. 

Brian

• Like 17

1 hour ago, The White Rabbit said:

I have heard a suggestion that W Shakespeare is the author who has used the widest variety of (English) words in his work. Though how true that is I'm not sure about - he could just be profiting from being well known and prolific.

He also benefitted from having his made up words becoming part of the language

• Like 2
  • Agree 7
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Just a quick check in, I was busy after breakfast as I decided to give the kitchen a really good clean and find new homes for more bits and pieces. 

Then I had to go out.

David

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

It’s absolutely belting it down here in crewe, last year I installed a lean to/car port which has been an absolute god send on days like this, can’t get a car up the side of the house any more no but it’s useful for keeping us dry

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

despite copious washing up liquid.

I spray the floor with Mr Sheen polish before sliding washing machines or similar in and out.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2