The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

7 minutes ago, Barry O said:

You mean a "Carden Shaft"... used for all sorts of power drive systems.

Baz

According to Athearn, in the context of their model railway locomotives, they are dogbones - see the results of the e-bay search linked to in the post above and the Athearn website.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Rain no longer forecast so game may be on. Depends on the state of the outfield and if rain got under the covers.

@monkeysarefun.. looks like these big tough Ozzies are afraid of horses.. in that case keep away from cows and sheep.. they are far more cantankerous!

the UK farmers have to meet high welfare standards for their animals. I know an ex dairy farmer ( he now just does arable farming). He stopped working with cows due to the major infrastructure work he needed to do to meet the standards. With a small herd it wasn't worth it.

Time for my mugatea and breakfast.

Enjoy your day!

Baz

Edited by Barry O
Spellung
  • Like 17
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, pH said:

According to Athearn, in the context of their model railway locomotives, they are dogbones - see the results of the e-bay search linked to in the post above and the Athearn website.

In Engineering term its a Carden shaft.. Athern have never struck me as good engineers..  initial thoughts were by Girolamo Cardano in 1545.

Yes they may look like a dogbone biscuit but there the similarity ends.. add proper bearings and it turns into a drive shaft for use in your car, or for a boat propellor or....

Baz

• Like 5
  • Agree 9

10 hours ago, polybear said:

It's £1.40 for 1.136L in Bear's local Co-op (so £1.23/L), though the price drops to 77p/L if you buy a 2.272L (4-Pinter) - the same in Tess n' Co would work out at 68p/L (though a 1.13L container works out at £1.11/L).

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

I pay SFr 2.00/litre for “Bio” (i.e. high animal welfare) locally produced milk. 

I interpret that as £1.78 / l.

Based on online grocery pricing at a 'regular' supermarket from an 'industrial' west coast dairy, milk here is $5.99 / US Gallon, which I believe is £1.25 / l. From the same store, milk labeled as "organic" is $6.99 / US Gallon or £1.85 / l.

Milk pricing can vary wildly and may be used as a 'loss leader' by some stores. A big box store offers it online (local pickup) for $2.99 / US Gallon or £0.63 / l. Another local grocery store (big national chain) lists it online as $3.29 / US Gallon or £0.69 / l.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 11

48 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Its  all there in the data:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-38592390

In comparison this guy, lives in my car - he hasn't tried to kill me even  once.

image.png.2761ac3b2b8ad60b2f89f9f5365b42ea.png

The data may say horses are more lethal than venomous spiders and snakes (which I can well believe: I once dated an equestrienne who informed me that horses are “dangerous at both ends and uncomfortable in the middle”), but I reckon the Bear would rather take his chances with Dobbin and his psychopathic equine sidekicks than confront Boris - the shy and retiring - Spider.

Speaking of which, for @polybear:

and The Bear can’t face down his phobias and watch the video above, here’s a more “Bear Friendly” version:

• Like 6
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Grey start and the forecast says " Today will see a mix of variable cloud, sunny spells and showers. In the afternoon, a few thunderstorms will develop but it will turn drier and sunnier by the end of the day."  Currently 13°C , might get up to 16°C.

Some Aching in The Hip and Back this morning but bearable so far.

Didn't clean the BBQ yesterday so will attack that today.  The gazebo will have to stay up as it's soaking wet.  Apart from that nothing else is planned....but Herself hasn't said much ...yet.

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Mate I can feel your sense of injustice flowing out of your post but unfortunately that's just the way it is there  while ever you have the judges in cahoots with the horse loving  "landed Gentry".

In comparison, here it was a clear-cut  case of self-defence as it nearly always is when a horse is involved.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-04-05/protester-horse-punch-charges-dropped-threatens-to-sue/102190674

In fact, , many people say it should never have gone to trial.  As the bloke said, many police were crying as they charged him:

"They were incredible," he said of the staff. "When I went to the courthouse, which is also a prison in a sense, they signed me in and I'll tell you people were crying.

"People that work there. Professionally work there that have no problems putting in murderers and they see everybody.

"It's a tough, tough place and they were crying. They were actually crying. They said, 'I'm sorry.'"

Oops, upon re-checking I see that those quotes weren't from the horse guy, I guess the orange shirt confused me.

He's as guilty as hell - you can tell just by looking at him.....

10 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

I checked out the locomotive I purchased yesterday and found that a crucial part is missing. It connects the motor to the bogies and without it it will not run.

Any chance it pinged out when the chassis was dropped?

1 hour ago, TheQ said:

Puppers has something with just 2 wheels, which being over 40 years old is exempt the ULEZ , no matter how big it's blue trail of smoke behind its 80+  year old exhaust.... His only problem up " in the smoke" is finding somewhere to park. Is there a crash helmet to fit a poly bears head so he can ride pillion.???.

We're workin' on it.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsl-jKOVw3o

1 hour ago, pH said:

Ah yes, but that's in a country where they call a bonnet a hood, a boot a trunk and they can't spell Aluminium....

Bear here.....

Dodgy weather day today, so any architrave work will be confined to indoor marking n' measuring tasks only.  I may well ponder gluing the Superglypta wallpaper on top of the lining paper applied yesterday, but first I need to remove and make safe the light switch and C/H Thermostat.  Apart from that it'll be MIUABGAD.

BG

Edited by polybear
  • Like 16

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, polybear said:

And Chemists having a tough time apparently:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-65481473

In other, other news....

Apparently today is Monday ......so who stole Sunday??

Bear Gone.

Apart from the [roblem of insufficient new pharmacists ...

Lloyds closing all their in-store pharmacies in S.........'s as well as others - typical when the owning company gets bought out by those just interested in money ... 

Edited by PeterBB
  • Like 3
  • Agree 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Morning, from a rock that promises a decent day - arrangements made to ride 600v DC things that run on parallel steel strips with a mate.  So it's clouding over.....hmm.

Cars 1 and 2 noted out at the BH weekend, but not likely to see them today unfortunately.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

The weather is looking decidedly dodgy at the moment, one minute the sun is shining, the next it’s grey clouds a plenty. My first task today is to complete the Sainsbury’s Grand Prix, as Sheila wants to get the ironing done whilst I’m out, I’ll take a look round some of the other shops first. After that, I’ll attempt to get some more work done on the workshop, but the forecast doesn’t look good. 

Back later. 

Brian

• Like 16
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, polybear said:

Ah yes, but that's in a country where they call a bonnet a hood, a boot a trunk and they can't spell Aluminium...

Actually, aluminum was the second name given to the purified metal, by an Englishman, and was used in the UK. Aluminium was a later version:

https://www.gabrian.com/aluminum-or-aluminium/

So it was the British who changed the spelling, not the Americans.

• Like 9
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium

Apparently quite a lot of American spellings are older versions once used in British English, so American's might be able to say they're the ones who spell properly🤪

I will say the American people I know tend to have a wider and richer vocabulary than British people. I don't want to over-generalize as there's a huge degree of selection bias in this one and it may say much more about the people I know than anything else. However, even if I compare people in equivalent roles and with equivalent educational attainment (i.e. not comparing someone from a US ivy league university with a welder from BAE in Barrow) I notice a significant difference.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 10

2 hours ago, Barry O said:

In Engineering term its a Carden shaft.. Athern have never struck me as good engineers..  initial thoughts were by Girolamo Cardano in 1545.

Yes they may look like a dogbone biscuit but there the similarity ends.. add proper bearings and it turns into a drive shaft for use in your car, or for a boat propellor or....

Baz

If you are looking for spares of this item for products of this company, you (rightly or wrongly in engineering terms) have to look for dogbones, because that’s what they call them.

Searching for “Athern carden shaft”, or even “Athearn cardan shaft” will not find what you’re looking for. (Though “Athearn drive shaft” will find them on e-bay and “Drive shaft” will even find a couple of examples on the Athearn website!)

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

A good tip on cardan shafts is that Ajin of South Korea had a fundamentally poor design with their cardan shaft design. The balls were plastic and over time slip with the result that when power is applied you just get a lot of whirring and perhaps a very slow crawl if light engine. A lot of people think something bigger has failed and advertise them for sale as broken, but if you are aware of the problem it's a quick fix and soldering on a brass ball cures the issue. I've picked up some real bargains over the years. Ajin are most famous for their partnership with Overland Models of America, the vast majority of Overland models were made by Ajin but they also worked with many European brass importers (the FIA LMS twins were made by Ajin) and elsewhere. Another of their partners was Musashino of Japan.

• Informative/Useful 15

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, pH said:

If you are looking for spares of this item for products of this company, you (rightly or wrongly in engineering terms) have to look for dogbones, because that’s what they call them.

Searching for “Athern carden shaft”, or even “Athearn cardan shaft” will not find what you’re looking for. (Though “Athearn drive shaft” will find them on e-bay and “Drive shaft” will even find a couple of examples on the Athearn website!)

I looked for 'Ahern spares' and it came up with the goods.

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, pH said:

Actually, aluminum was the second name given to the purified metal, by an Englishman, and was used in the UK. Aluminium was a later version:

https://www.gabrian.com/aluminum-or-aluminium/

So it was the British who changed the spelling, not the Americans.

Fight , Fight .       😀

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Premium

Further investigation of inherited lap top reveals it needs a new battery pack, keyboard and cmos battery. Total price less than 1/3 of a Deltic..

Investigation online of value of this model laptop varies from 1 deltic , damaged but working, to 2 deltics for fully refurbished. Therefore bits have been ordered.

Rain stopped just after 10:00, when this muggacoffee has been drained, then it's ladder time.

There is a cardan shaft fitted in my boat between electric motor and propshaft. It's rubber mounted to reduce vibration. It's needed because, a marine gearbox has its output at the bottom. An electric motor has its output in the middle. There is a six inch ish height difference. So it was needed as the propshaft is set up and fixed for a gearbox.

Oh the price now? 10 Deltics...

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

1 hour ago, jjb1970 said:

Apparently quite a lot of American spellings are older versions once used in British English, so American's might be able to say they're the ones who spell properly🤪

I will say the American people I know tend to have a wider and richer vocabulary than British people. I don't want to over-generalize as there's a huge degree of selection bias in this one and it may say much more about the people I know than anything else. However, even if I compare people in equivalent roles and with equivalent educational attainment (i.e. not comparing someone from a US ivy league university with a welder from BAE in Barrow) I notice a significant difference.

I think that a person's vocabulary in the UK is heavily influenced by both social class and whether or not parents encourage their children to read - although this can be a bit of a "chicken and egg scenario".

Whilst Americans can be as monosyllabic and incoherent as other English speakers, they frequently come up with some great turns of phrase - creating compelling descriptive pictures in a few words. Some of my favourites:

• wrapped too tight.
  • in a world of hurt
  • a day late and a dollar short
  • bent out of shape

Having said that, two of the greatest creators of word pictures (I would claim) are the British authors Len Deighton and Terry Pratchett. Len Deighton is especially descriptive in his word pictures. Some examples:

'You are loving it here, of course?' Dalby asked.
'I have a clear mind and a pure heart. I get eight hours' sleep a night. I am a loyal, diligent employee, and will attempt every day to be worthy of the trust my paternal employer puts in me.'
'I'll make the jokes' said Dalby

“He had a long thin nose, a moustache like flock wallpaper, sparse, carefully combed hair, and the complexion of a Hovis loaf.

“You’re joking, sir.’

‘I never joke, Chico. The truth is quite adequately hilarious.”

Edited by iL Dottore
Typo
  • Like 13
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

Well the yellow warning is right in as much as there is something yellow in the sky and it's quite bright.  Hope I haven't spoken too soon.

BBQ cleaning is ongoing and all is nearly done , just waiting for the grills to come out of the dishwasher.  Call me lazy if you like but I've found that it's the best way to clean the things.

Muggatea now and some pills.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Bin up the ladder cleared gutter, but there is more in the V of the hipped roof. I ain't going up that high without a scaffolding tower, I was going to buy one later this year anyway. There goes at least another 5 Deltics..

I feel time for a pie and a pint...

• Friendly/supportive 15