The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Or simply Morning Glory?

Dave

Which could (would*) be wilfully misinterpreted...

* I very carefully checked my spelling there!

Edited by Hroth
Extra note!
  • Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

I see the coronation tat is hitting the shops, this must be the tattiest.

Tatty coronation tats. I bet they sell a lot of them. Can't wait to see more on that theme - his and hers tat sleeves of HM-the-K and HM-the-Q.

• Funny 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, polybear said:

... a bag of five of those Bagel thingies (like wot they eat in New York).  And what do I find when I open up them up?  They've all got bluddy holes in the middle

Well of course they do if they are proper bagels. If you don't want holes, you want a bialy (originally from Bialystok, Poland). 

With your lightly toasted bagels you need some schmear. (Cream cheese will do.) Better even is to include lox, capers and red onion.

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

I’ve been told that a relative was ‘Mentioned in Dispatches’ in WW2. I’ve tried, but can’t find a site which lists MID recipients. Is there one?

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Batavia is built on a swamp, Jakarta as it is now named is slowly sinking into the swamp so the Indonesians are now building a new capital.

Something I always find interesting about Jakarta and Indonesia in general is that there is so little left of Dutch influence. In Singapore and Malaysia you see evidence of the British everywhere, especially in Singapore the language of administration and common language of the country is still English. There are still lots of architectural and cultural reminders. In Indonesia it's really rather difficult to discern much evidence the Dutch were ever in Indonesia. Maybe part of it is that Britain left Malaya and Singapore on the basis of an amicable divorce rather than fighting a rather vicious war to try and hang on. Though even in Vietnam you see much more influences from the French era than you do in Indonesia (despite the US overlay of the 60's and 70's) and the war in Indochina/Vietnam really was vicious.

• Like 10
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 4

9 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

He was not all that popular, certainly after Peterloo.

But what did Wellington have to do with the Peterloo Massacre? From what I’ve read, the blame can be squarely laid at the feet of the local magistrates and the ill-trained and badly led local Yeomanry (at the time basically a middle class/aspiring class militia - which many Mancunians thought a bit of a joke).

Why I made the comment about Wellington was that he was a man who had a strong sense of duty and didn’t go for the easy option, didn’t go for what was popular, he did what was (he believed) right.  

So unlike too many of the politicians of today -  a lot of whom wouldn’t (or couldn’t?) agree with a casual comment of “nasty weather, today isn’t it?” without running their reply through a focus group or two and a couple of SPADS….

As for stuffing their snouts in the public trough… well let’s say that there are some politicians* (in practically every country you can name) whose egotistical avarice would make a @polybear’s behaviour when let loose in an “all you can eat, free, cake shop” look like the very model of pious abnegation…. 

* come to think of it, I might be too generous in giving out the benefit of the doubt…..

• Like 4
  • Agree 10

• RMweb Gold

A quiet morning so far, the greenhouse has been examined as usual and found to be OK and I've had breakfast.  It is now 7C with rain on and off.  It's more like November.  I'm just starting on the Sunday e mails to friends before church.

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Blue skies and sunshine here.  It may cloud over later with the chance of a few spots of rain.  8°C rising to 18°C.

Restless night for me with The Hip and Leg waking me occasionally.  Very painful when I got up but easing now after walking around a bit and taking some pills. 

Joe's flight was about 25 minutes late taking off but has now just flown over Hudson Bay and is due back at Heathrow at 13.20.now 13.05.  (Hopefully he got on it!)

Some rugby watched and enjoyed yesterday and  the English Ladies managed another Grand Slam but it was squeaky bum time at the end.  Enjoyed Leinster demolishing Toulouse, now wonder if Exeter can win today in La Rochelle but that's a big ask.

Nearly time for my usual Sunday breakfast of eggs, bacon and one or two other yet to be decided accompaniments.

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

With your lightly toasted bagels you need some schmear. (Cream cheese will do.) Better even is to include lox, capers and red onion.

Lemon Curd for this Bear....

51 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

................would make a @polybear’s behaviour when let loose in an “all you can eat, free, cake shop”......

Do you have an address?

Bear here.....

The day is to start with A Certain Bear danglin' on a paint brush; after that it'll be a MIUABGAD.

BG

• Like 4
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Gold

Early Morning All!

The Beeza is going for a run to Old Warden shortly.

Be back later ............................................................................................ hopefully! 🤞

• Like 14
  • Round of applause 4