The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

1 hour ago, BR60103 said:

Today we went to an opening performance at Stratford of King Lear. The title role was done by a fellow who appeared in one of Jason Shron's recent videos.

I remember our English teacher, last year at school, strongly recommending that we pass that year as the play the following year would be Lear.  

I wasn't keen on going and do not want to go again.

We're still not sure who all the characters were.

King Lear is certainly one of Shakespeare’s more “difficult” plays. Unless it’s in the hands of actors (and a director) of great talent and experience, it can be dire. But for an older actor it’s a plum role (most roles are written for younger actors) and I would venture that of the current (still acting) actors of the right age, Sir Ian McKellen, Sir Patrick Stuart and (possibly) Sir Kenneth Branagh would make the play enthralling. As an older actor (I have acted semi-professionally, off and on, for quite a few years) I would love to perform King Lear - although I’m not sure that I have the talent or memory to do the part justice…

Anyway, some years ago I had the very good fortune to see Sir Ian McKellen and Sir Patrick Stuart with Simon Callow and Ronald Pickup in Waiting for Godot  (which in unskilled hands is quite turgid) - an absolute tour de force from all four actors, with McKellen and Stewart making the play so engrossing that the interval seemed to come only seconds after curtains up (and the next night Mrs iD and I saw Judy Dench in Madame De Sade - another tour de force performance).

Definitely British theatre (and acting) at its finest. 

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

38 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

A good day beckons. Jill’s ankle is improving, it’s a sunny day, I’m still in bed drinking coffee and opening my birthday cards, we will shortly be going down for a mega hotel brekkies and then I’ll be going to see my loco shed that Tricky has made for me. All in all one of those hard times that you just have to grin and bear.

Dave

Happy Birthday "Tiger"

• Like 10
  • Agree 8
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Happy Birthday Dave.

I hope it is as bright and sunny in Tunbridge Wells as it is here today. We used to go quite frequently to Knole House but perhaps Jill’s ankle would prevent such a visit.
Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 14
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. The arthritis/sciatica was going hammer and tongs this morning and the Nurofen is just kicking in. A few sniffles from the hay fever as well but I'm staying in today anyway.

• Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

@Tony_S experience of hearing himself “differently” with new hearing aids brought to mind something that happened when the play I was directing (a Christmas Panto) went from rehearsal room “into theatre” (as they say). The “Principal Boy”* - a comely lass with a decent singing voice - was miked up for the first time for her big song. The music starts up, she sings a few bars and promptly bursts into tears. I stop everything and hurry onto the stage to find out the cause of the upset. Through sobs the actress said that she heard herself sing over the PA system and “she sounded horrible”. I reassured her, as did the cast members on stage, that she was singing very well indeed.

What had happened was that because she was miked up and her voice came over the PA, her ears heard her voice for the first time as other people heard her. When you speak (or sing or shout…) what you hear is different to what other people hear as your auditory nerves not only receive the sound waves of your voice travelling through the air, but also the associated vibrations of your voice that travel through the bones of your skull. 

Once mollified, and used to hearing herself sing as other people did, she went on to give a sterling performance.

* for non-Brits: in a traditional British pantomime, the hero is played by an actress (“the principal boy”) and the comic female role (“The Dame”) by a man (e.g. Aladdin [PB] and Widow Twanky [The Dame]). The very best pantos are politically incorrect, full of double-entendres** very, very topical with the jokes/humour and unembarrassed to steal from the very best. Pantomime has nothing to do with mime, but derives from the Commedia dell’Arte.

** one of my favourites comes from a version of Robin Hood, when one of the “innocent country girls” [it’s a long story] espies the Sheriff of Nottingham’s castle and exclaims “ so that’s where he holds his big balls and dances

I have an idea for a panto, not for Christmas but for Halloween. The characters are based on those from various horror films and some from Shakespeare and I even have ideas about incorporating Guy Fawkes. 

• Like 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4