The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PupCam said:

#1     Oldsmobile

NHN got that one, and Puppers should have too - re Jacqueline's column in Real Classic last month....😁

Not a great day, still coughing for the country.  Archery, where Mrs NHN still recovering from a shoulder issue was third, and mate Steve who is a newbie was second, well shot round for a PB. Me....#cough#.

Lovely and sunny after lunch, we sat at Dhoon Glen station cafe and drunk a lot of coffee and watched trains grumble by, noted Car 5 has a new paint job and is looking very smart.

Donk sends his best wishes to Pengy, with a hint of jealousy at his flying experience.  Friend Jayne has been down there to the Falklands twice, her bezzy mate was a schoolteacher at Fox Bay.  She took a little Pengy-type friend home first time, and he undertook the return journey too so has a few flying hours himself.

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Bear's Sunday Funnies......

One for @The White Rabbit.....

image.png.d6a49b558155f88e6b2922477d2b297a.png

image.png.0a9f9599d8f0af5fb291df9890dd5487.png

One for @iL Dottore....

image.png.bd2385c17b7e32b7a546e84fa8a57c56.png

image.png.6a3a7b6c2b035f74c9a20541bc83f8b0.png

image.png.89829ed4eb2f1cb7aa6b5d3be6815b92.png

One for Chimpy @monkeysarefun......

image.png.9a026bfc509c96cb28f9bbca07d533f6.png

image.png.fe6bebe5ebb0cc954a3d1557c2035a3d.png

image.png.6406680e449cefa180d63157b9793338.png

One for @Coombe Barton.....

image.png.60a6665122488392616f8007cc1287bd.png

image.png.e6587a3b827afd8741e4fee023e13e00.png

image.png.d957aa1ee811889d0594cc58ca1126e6.png

image.png.e7b187a16c6ff8d61ae2bb754be31e4a.png

One for @Gwiwer.....

image.png.688d7058663e2f8b605066fde9b15583.png

A local bar was so sure that its barman was the strongest man in the Village that they offered a standing 1000 Quid bet.
The barman would squeeze a lemon until all the juice ran out and challenge any man to squeeze out another drop.
Weightlifters, arm wrestlers; they all tried and lost the bet.
Then one day, a scrawny little man, (if he stood sideways you would not see him) wearing scratched glasses, a ten year old polyester suit, walked in and said
"I'd like to take on the bet."
After the laughter had died down, the barman said, "Okay"; grabbed the lemon and squeezed away.
Then he handed the wrinkled remains of the Lemon Rind to the little man.
But the Crowd's laughter turned to total silence....as the man clenched his little fist around the lemon....six drops fell into the glass.
As the barman paid the 1000 Quid bet, he asked "What do you do for a living?
Are you a lumberjack, a metal worker, a weight-lifter, or what?"
The little man quietly replied:
"I’m a Tax man”

Three friends married women from different parts of the world.
The first man married a Greek girl. He told her that she was to do the dishes and house cleaning. It took a couple of days, but on the third day he came home to see a clean house and dishes washed and put away.
The second man married a Thai girl. He gave his wife orders that she was to do all the cleaning, dishes and the cooking. The first day he didn't see any results but the next day he saw it was better. By the third day he saw his house was  clean, the dishes were done, and there was a huge dinner on the table.
The third man married a girl from Scotland. He ordered her to keep the house cleaned, dishes washed, lawn mowed, laundry washed, and hot meals on the table for every meal. The first day he didn't see anything, the second day he didn't see anything either but by the third day, some of the swelling had gone down and he could see a little out of his left eye and his arm was healed enough that he could fix himself a sandwich and load the dishwasher, although he still has some difficulty when he urinates.

A secretary walked into her boss's office and said, "I'm afraid I've got some bad news  for you"
"Why do you always have to give me bad news?" he complained. "Tell me some good news for once!"

"Alright, here's some good news" said the secretary "You're not sterile..."

• Like 2
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Premium

Bear here.....

A fairly productive day, including a bit more sorting of the muddlin' room to get it ready for it's temporary transition to a pasting room, followed by preparing a temporary pasting table involving three wooden trestles purchased from a second-hand tool place near Stanstead Airport probably 20+ years ago now - they're home-made wooden jobbies but well made and IIRC only about twelve quid or so for the lot.  Most definitely one of my better buys by far - I've lost count of the number of times I've used them.  The top is a sheet of rather nice 12mm MDF (a skip dive find) wrapped in polythene so it doesn't get spoiled when I wipe it with a damp cloth.

Then it was time to plan the positioning of the first drop and mark the wall accordingly - unfortunately this drop is the very worst by far, being about 4.6m long (almost half a roll of wallpaper).  Oh yes, and it requires ladder acrobatics...

Sadly everything depends on this drop - no matter how I tried I just couldn't come up with an alternative way of doing it, so that'll be fun.  Or not.....

Bear is currently watching a documentary about Fats Domino + others of that era; is it me, or is modern music carp by comparison?

Bear gone.

• Like 16

2 hours ago, PupCam said:

Cars ........

#1     Oldsmobile

#2     Humber

#3     Arrol Johnston

#4     Crestmobile

I could keep quiet and amaze you all with my vintage and veteran car recognition skills.

Or I could just fess-up and tell you the DVLA vehicle data website has its uses 🤣   (Never even heard of the last two!)

TTFNQ

Jeez, now some other bloke who owns an Arrol Johnston can forge that  number plate and go out and do crimes!  Hide those plates please!

• Funny 14

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, polybear said:

That's one place (of rather a lot, actually) that Bear has never been - but I'd quite like to.  Is there a best place to go?  (Bear doesn't "do" Beaches, by the way).

Don't worry, there's little in the way of beaches out in Malta. The British influence is very strong despite independence and it becoming a republic. Most of the holidaymakers are Brits of a certain age (retired). As I said it is much like the UK, they drive on the left and English is widely spoken (even the road signs and markings are in English). The same applies to the food, most hotels offer a full English breakfast (with baked beans) and most of the food is British. There are plenty of restaurants serving a variety of foods (including pizza) so I would recommend half board. Exactly where to stay depends on your budget but St Pauls bay  has reasonably priced hotels and good communications. There are plenty of places to visit  or you can spend your time exploring the island but I'd recommend taking a day to visit to the Island of Gozo.   

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. It was a lovely sunny day today but typically at this time of year its now turning cold. Tonights dinner was chicken in mushroom sauce with new potatoes, very nice. 

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

18 hours ago, iL Dottore said:
16 hours ago, polybear said:

As soon as Bear read this line from their website I started to get dubious:

"VitAct Ltd offer a comprehensive range of vitamins, minerals, and natural food & dietary supplements."

- some of the reviews on the 'net are "interesting" and if true reveal some rather dubious business practices.

I do hope that if this product is actually helping @PhilJ W then the magic ingredient can be identified and obtained far more cheaply (and safely - the words "medicine/drug" and "on-line/mail order" kinda raises Bear's worry factor somewhat).

What I find particularly interesting, if not concerning, is the disclaimer Robert posted, which - to me - suggests that the product has never been tested for efficacy and/or any benefit is due to a significant psychosomatic component (it’s amazing what you can get punters to buy).

Bear has actually got it.

This company does NOT sell medicines.

A quote from their website.

‘VitAct Ltd offer a comprehensive range of vitamins, minerals, and natural food & dietary supplements.’

They don’t sell medicines, you may think you’re buying ‘medicines’ ’ but if you read the packaging there is no claim what the product is for! 
Similarly and perhaps more commonly people believe cod liver oil is good for the joints but look at the packaging.

If an item is classed as a food supplement (and not a medicine) it cannot be advertised as having medical properties.

All medicines have a product license number and it is printed on the box. It starts PL then a string of numbers. No PL, then it’s not a medicine.
It does become quite complex, some items can be classed as medicines as well as food supplements.

For example folic acid 400mcg is available as a food supplement and as a medicine.

Edited by Erichill16
Spelling
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 13

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

The weather has been glorious today, wall to wall sunshine, with nothing more than a very light breeze and a temperature of 10C, but sheltered by the fence it felt a lot warmer than that, it’s been a shirt sleeve day. My music of choice today, was all from the early to mid 70’s and were as follows;

The Doobie Brothers - Takin’ It To The Streets 1976

The Doobie Brothers - Stampede 1975

The Doobie Brothers - What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits 1975

The Doobie Brothers - The Captain And Me 1973 

Free - Highway 1970

Free - Fire And Water 1970

I was till at school when the last 2 albums were released, so it was very much like I trip back in time for me, I’m not sure if the neighbours enjoyed listening to them, but I certainly did! 

By the end of the day I’d managed to repot 12 of Sheila’s house plants and I even managed a small bit of weeding too. Just before I packed up for the day, I cleaned and topped up the bird feeders. Our little feathered friends seem to be very hungry at the moment. 

• Like 18

5 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

NHN got that one, and Puppers should have too - re Jacqueline's column in Real Classic last month....😁

Got the Humber. There was one two doors down from us in Paisley. It was still going in the sixties.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Like being in a hammer horror movie going to work this morning, the sky is almost black, torrential deluge and with bonkers thunder and lightning. The thunder and lightning here is insane, it's like an artillery barrage and the lightning really is like those old horror movies. Visibility is probably 50 - 100 metres.

At least the streets have awnings (on hot days they provide shade, on wet days they allow people to get around without getting soaked) and when I get to the centre the network of underground linkways is perfect for days like today.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 14

5 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Funny (maybe) until that act is actually in the news. As it has been here with someone related to a high-level politician. Quite horrific to contemplate.

There is a very fine line between "funny" and political extremism. Just my opinion but the US crossed that line some time ago. I do hope ROW is paying attention.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium

Morning world, a little less coughy today before the coffee.  Some sleep was had at last.

5c externally, but sunny.  Off to the eye testing shop today, annual diabetic check is done by them not the hospickle here.  I have seen the same optician for years so am happy that she understands my issues, she did in fact spot something before the main man a couple of years ago.  Younger woman, well on the ball and very pleasant with it.

After that I'll be hiding in shady shops with shades on myself for a couple of hours, until the atropine wears off and I can drive home.  I hate the dilation but it is important, sight is precious.

• Like 10
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

I like Malta. Its not as nice now that all the old cars and buses have disappeared though.

Valetta is a nice place to walk around looking for remnants of the Railway which once ran on the island. Gozo is worth the ferry trip, various places dotted around the island are nice too.

Other than the food on Phils link they do a really nice tasty mini pasty!

Be aware prices rise when people from a certain country who dropped lots of bombs on Malta are on holiday ther.. the Maltese have very long memories!

Right time for some food!

Thoughts are with our missing ERs.

Baz

• Like 16
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

@polybear I've found this about traditional Maltese foods.

https://nomadparadise.com/maltese-food/

The first one looks like loads of fish eyeballs on catfood.....

The chips look ok though.

Number 11 should grab Pupper's @PupCam attention ......

23 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Purveyors of  of vitamins, minerals, and natural food & dietary supplements are very clever indeed: often hinting at clinical benefit whilst never actually saying there Is a clinical benefit.

Ah yes, that magical word "may"...

Such as "LDC may cure poor Paws".  True, it may - but I guess the cake purveyors are batting the ball into the other team's court to let them disprove the fact.  Meanwhile the other team have far better things to focus their minds (and money) on, so the statement still stands.

Incidentally, Bear is still conducting tests.....purely in the interests of science you understand....

Bear here....

A very long length of wallpaper (almost ten quid's worth, in fact) awaits Bear.  Will it be tears or smiles afterwards?

BG

• Like 15
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl ,

Couldn't get to sleep again, brain went into overdrive, on next year's modifications to Blue Moon, namely to simplify the system though at the moment a solution has not been worked out. The rest will be doing improvements to her appearance, which got neglected this winter.

As it was I got 3 hours plus 2 hours sleep, not enough.

Ben the alarm clock Collie was early today, he was told to go back to bed, after his head polish. We have been out now though, there's a touch of frost on the high ground (+3ft). But as the great fried egg is showing itself that will be gone soon.

Plans for today, 

After a small modification to one of the under stairs doors, I'm going to get the mower out to attack the jungle.

Then an old fridge freezer is leaving the house into the garden, hidden in a corner temporarily.

Once space is cleared it will go into the garage as a switched off paint store / tool cupboard.

But first I need a muggacoffee

Time to head for the kitchen, I'm sure a full English is a good medicine.

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium

Cor the electricity company actually put in their meter man's readings for the house, we're £145 in credit.

No news on the mobile home that should be stupidly in credit with all the governments Ukraine price rise money.

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 2

9 hours ago, BSW01 said:

Good evening everyone 

The weather has been glorious today, wall to wall sunshine, with nothing more than a very light breeze and a temperature of 10C, but sheltered by the fence it felt a lot warmer than that, it’s been a shirt sleeve day. My music of choice today, was all from the early to mid 70’s and were as follows;

The Doobie Brothers - Takin’ It To The Streets 1976

The Doobie Brothers - Stampede 1975

The Doobie Brothers - What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits 1975

The Doobie Brothers - The Captain And Me 1973 

Free - Highway 1970

Free - Fire And Water 1970

I was till at school when the last 2 albums were released, so it was very much like I trip back in time for me, I’m not sure if the neighbours enjoyed listening to them, but I certainly did! 

By the end of the day I’d managed to repot 12 of Sheila’s house plants and I even managed a small bit of weeding too. Just before I packed up for the day, I cleaned and topped up the bird feeders. Our little feathered friends seem to be very hungry at the moment. 

You and I seem to have very similar tastes in music, good choices.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Arthur Itis was at it hammer and tongs this morning. Easy to see why, there's a high pressure system sitting over the country. Baz, there are still plenty of old cars and other vehicles on Malta only now they are mostly cherished classics. Many 50's and 60's cars survived on Malta  whereas here in the UK they would have rusted away. They can be seen at car rallies all over the island (except during midsummer when they are kept under cover).

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5