The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. The arthritis and sciatica were grumbling this morning but stopped when I started moving around. Despite this I managed to get a few more hours sleep in but not enough so more eyelid inspection is required.

• Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

A bright, sunny and no cloud start to the day here in the northwest corner of England, but it’s a lot cooler than of late, currently 1C out there! My first task of the day is to complete the Sainsbury’s Grand Prix, this will be followed by a second Grand Prix at Waitrose , but this will be after dinner. Nottalotelse planned for the day.

Back later. 

Brian

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

The only B&W engines I worked with had hydraulic exhaust valves, excellent engines. I found it quite striking how engines could differ between who manufactured them. For those not familiar with big engines, they're designed by engine companies - MAN (formerly B&W), WinGD (formerly Sulzer, and Wartsila for a few years) and Mitsubishi but manufactured by licensees. Almost all of which are now in China, the Republic of Korea or Japan. I always found MSE (Mitsui) MAN-B&W engines the best of the breed, and DU (now IHI I think) Sulzers the best of that breed (though Mitsubishi also built superb Sulzer engines).

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, polybear said:

Looks good.....a lot better than the price of it I suspect.....

It wasn't too expensive by Australian standards...

Baz

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, TheQ said:

There are always exceptions, I remember going to a ship that had an on board disco, restaurant etc tied up on the Tyne in the 1980s for a Christmas section dinner. Those meter maids pictured above would be over dressed as disco inhabitants...

The Tuxedo Princess.

Many’s the …….      

…. no, best not go there.

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold

A beautiful sunny day on the Northumberland coast though there was a frost and the wind is very cold.  It certainly woke me up when I opened the back door.

Yesterday I woke just after 07.00 after a rather poor night's sleep, did all the usual e mails and phone calls and went off to church.  It was my turn to do one of the readings, I managed to read the correct passage and didn't make any mistakes.  On the way home I drove past the beach but didn't stop as I was ready for my coffee and it was dull and damp.  Lunch was a ready prepared pulled pork - for some reason the pack had 50% more meat than it should, it weighed a lot more than it said on the packet.  It was followed by apple pie and custard.  I wonder if that was why I fell asleep during the afternoon while I was checking the new pillows again.

Later in I had the usual phone call from my aunt and watched the boat races.  I always support Cambridge as many of my relatives went there , though I went to Manchester instead.  After tea it was still light so I went out in the garden and did some more tidying.  A few minutes after I came back indoors there was a heavy snow shower.

Then it was the usual TV and book until an early bedtime - at least it would have been early but I had a couple of emails about my photos to answer.

David

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Barry O said:

Been to the fang puller. While gainfully employed eating lobster for Chinese New year I have damaged my back tooth. She reckons I either to get the filling changed or.... a full removal......

Something for the sweet toothed among you..

20230322_205916.jpg.5bed2489b39446ba654d015a40819633.jpg

Baz

That's a very nice table decoration ,  where's the food ????

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 17

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

The proliferation of minor parties in Australia is a direct result of the existence of preferential voting

There can be a quite large number of candidates. Some ballot papers are more like books. 

I honestly don’t know enough about all of, let’s say, 17 candidates or their policies to sensibly rank preferences from 1 to 17. Do I care more about person 13 than 14?  Why?  That low in the rankings does it really matter?  So there may be an element of placing a 1 against your favourite, a 17 against your “never in my lifetime” and either randomly or consecutively numbering all the rest. 

Is that what is intended by the system?  No. 

Or I can vote by party. But therein lies an additional level of complexity. 

With first-past-the-post the minor parties and independents seldom stand much chance but they are effectively de-selected by the electorate. If most who voted wanted a Green Party candidate they would have more seats than they do. 

But it only requires one X on a simple ballot paper. No genitalia. Possibly not even time to draw them because you’re in and out in (usually) moments. 

It has, incidentally, been decreed within Australia that an otherwise correctly-completed ballot paper shall not be deemed invalid if it also contains such “artwork”.   An incorrectly filled paper may, however, cost you $20 for an invalid vote, whether festuring “artwork” or not. 

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

1 minute ago, Gwiwer said:

An incorrectly filled paper may, however, cost you $20 for an invalid vote, whether festuring “artwork” or not. 

You need to stop writing your name and address on your incorrectly filled out ballot paper!

• Agree 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

You need to stop writing your name and address on your incorrectly filled out ballot paper!

Each issued ballot paper here is traceable to the person at least claiming to be the voter. Your ballot is secret at the time of voting but not after counting. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 2
  • Agree 7
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

That or my standard of artwork needs improving 🤣

• Like 4
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

The only B&W engines I worked with had hydraulic exhaust valves, excellent engines. I found it quite striking how engines could differ between who manufactured them. For those not familiar with big engines, they're designed by engine companies - MAN (formerly B&W), WinGD (formerly Sulzer, and Wartsila for a few years) and Mitsubishi but manufactured by licensees. Almost all of which are now in China, the Republic of Korea or Japan. I always found MSE (Mitsui) MAN-B&W engines the best of the breed, and DU (now IHI I think) Sulzers the best of that breed (though Mitsubishi also built superb Sulzer engines).

That one's a 8K98F.  The English Bridge, later the Kowloon Bridge of Irish shipwreck fame.  My dad stood by her building in Haverton Hill as 2/E/O, having just been on a long course at B&W learning the engine.  B&W were new to Bibby's at the time.  The two big ones, that and the Liverpool Bridge/Derbyshire were 'problematic' to be polite. it would be easy to be less than polite.....

The smaller bore versions seemed OK from what I was told, I never sailed on one of those but was on both the big 'uns.  The best Sulzer I sailed on was a Mitsubishi, yes!

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3