The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

@polybear I have seen professional decorators using stair ladders. Screwfix do a nice one for £479

Ouch.....

14 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

I think fellow correspondents we need to do an intervention to stop Bear from doing some harm to himself.

Unfortunately I'm to far aware to be of practical assistance but I perfectly happy to coordinate the operation.

Who's up for it- preferably within an hour's travel time of Bears residence?

Bear could send Puppers up the ladder......

• Like 3
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PupCam said:

Absolutely or, if the Bear is feeling particularly strong .....

image.png.0761eb9fa2be5ae2203c0862b017a47d.png

I am intrigued as to how @polybear intends to hang the woodchip with the ladder resting against the wall 🤣

Been there done that.  Painted over it afterwards too.  I used a step-ladder on the landing which - given the span to reach the wall and the weight on my arms of pasted paper - probably wasn't any safer.  But I'm here to tell the tale.  

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

I am intrigued as to how @polybear intends to hang the woodchip with the ladder resting against the wall 🤣

Been there done that.  Painted over it afterwards too.  I used a step-ladder on the landing which - given the span to reach the wall and the weight on my arms of pasted paper - probably wasn't any safer.  But I'm here to tell the tale.  

One strip already done - to the right of the ladder.

The rest will be done by gradually moving the ladder along the wall/landing and hanging the strip immediately to the right of the ladder.  When I get to the last strip at the top of the stairs (which is the shortest strip) I'll be able to do it by using the ladder in "staircase mode" on the stairs.

I'll be having to repeat the process with Anaglypta over the top of the lining paper; I worked out earlier that there'll be 27 drops/70m to hang.  Big Turdycurses.

Oh yes, and then I've got to paint it....

Bear gone.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Friendly/supportive 6

51 minutes ago, polybear said:

Ouch.....

I think Bear may have overlooked one or two 'problems' with that suggestion namely it assumes that he will volunteer, he will overcome his natural instinct for self preservation and final that he is within an hours drive of Bear Towers. Getting all three obstacles sorted is I think a 'tad' optimistic aka not likely to occur in a month of Sundays on Bears part.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 6

2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

@polybear I have seen professional decorators using stair ladders. Screwfix do a nice one for £479

For a much cheaper solution I find these invaluable for reaching high areas.

Screenshot_20230326-104828.png.5a10d20393cb61e9df38a8a5ca598aad.png

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 3
  • Funny 15

47 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

It seems we lose an hour tonight.  Daylight robbery.  

They are not  lost, as part of the recent  generous trade deal you made with Australia they are shipped down here where we apply them when they arrive in a week or so.

You get nothing in return though, sorry about that.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 2
  • Funny 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I bring up the Hugo awards (for Science Fiction) from 2015.

https://www.thehugoawards.org/hugo-history/2015-hugo-awards/

There was a special interest group that hijacked the nomination process. Because of the preferential ballot system, the members were able to put "No Award" at the top of a number of categories.

I wonder if there is a system where we could rate candidates as

Preferred

Tolerable

Totally Unacceptable

• Like 2
  • Agree 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

1 minute ago, BR60103 said:

Because of the preferential ballot system, ...

I'm not a fan of preferential voting. 

There is a (reasoned) argument that it benefits minority candidates, but the 'unintended' consequences negate this (at least in my view).

1 minute ago, BR60103 said:

I wonder if there is a system where we could rate candidates as

Preferred

Tolerable

Totally Unacceptable

Poor candidates being put forward by major parties are symptomatic of a different problem. It can only be solved at the ballot box - which, with some notable exceptions, it usually is.

This is of course the intent of the primary system in US politics. Demonstrably it doesn't always work, but it can arguably be better (or is at least more transparent) than 'smoke-filled' caucus rooms full of party insiders the way it often happens in parliamentary democracies.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 9

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Losing an hour is nowt.. currently my body is in Leeds, my brain is somewhere over Oman....

The gas service team are on their way. They will fix Hive then service the boiler and other gas supplied items. Awaiting a text to confirm arrival time.

A colleague is in the USA on holiday. He is flying Boeing Allways (first class by dint of avios points etc)..it was only when he went to check in that he was told his flight has been delayed by......24 hours.. our UK National Airline.. I don't  think so.

Next up ..mugadecaff and bacon sarnie.. 

Stay safe!

Baz

• Friendly/supportive 19

2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

'm not a fan of preferential voting. 

There is a (reasoned) argument that it benefits minority candidates, but the 'unintended' consequences negate this (at least in my view).

Here are the current results of my electorate from yesterday's election.  Under the first past the post system the incumbent blue team guy  would remain in power despite over two thirds  of the voters NOT voting for him, instead over 50% of the votes in the form of primary and preferences have flowed to the independent who would never have a chance otherwise. 

That said, I can be persuaded that preferential voting in the federal  senate is a dog's breakfast..

image.png.ea560fd92811ef80a7581b724435f637.png

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Good moaning at whatever time it is from a street named after a coal seam. A good meal was had yesterday today No 2 son joins us and various outlaws get visit4d.

Regards tp all.

Jamie

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Just for the avoidance of doubt, this Bear most definitely doesn't "do" Woodchip.

There are some limits which This Bear just won't step beyond. and woodchip is one of them....

7 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

I think Bear may have overlooked one or two 'problems' with that suggestion namely it assumes that he will volunteer, he will overcome his natural instinct for self preservation and final that he is within an hours drive of Bear Towers. 

One out of three is a Tick.

Close enough.

6 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

For a much cheaper solution I find these invaluable for reaching high areas.

Screenshot_20230326-104828.png.5a10d20393cb61e9df38a8a5ca598aad.png

Hmmm, Bouncin' Bear wallpapers a stairwell.  Could be a Youtube sensation.

Bear here....

Someone has gone buggerin' with the clocks.  Turdycurses.  Bear's early start has suddenly become a late start.

Today sees yet more wallpaper danglin' - hopefully a mega session.  Yippee.

In other news:

More on Pupper's favourite subject:

"But there are thought to be up to 30 different smartphone apps in operation over the country meaning motorists could have to regularly download different programmes and navigate various rules, or risk a fine."

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/technology/end-of-pay-and-display-parking-machines-to-be-scrapped-as-public-told-to-use-apps/ar-AA18P1Yw?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=0b4c8556bdfb4a8285b61e9f400428e1&ei=20

- At least this Guy talks sense:

"Dave Smith of the British Parking Association said parking operators should offer cash payment as well as digital and fines shouldn't be issued if the system isn't working."

Bear gone.

• Like 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

2 hours ago, polybear said:

Just for the avoidance of doubt, this Bear most definitely doesn't "do" Woodchip.

There are some limits which This Bear just won't step beyond. and woodchip is one of them....

One out of three is a Tick.

Close enough.

Hmmm, Bouncin' Bear wallpapers a stairwell.  Could be a Youtube sensation.

Bear here....

Someone has gone buggerin' with the clocks.  Turdycurses.  Bear's early start has suddenly become a late start.

Today sees yet more wallpaper danglin' - hopefully a mega session.  Yippee.

In other news:

"But there are thought to be up to 30 different smartphone apps in operation over the country meaning motorists could have to regularly download different programmes and navigate various rules, or risk a fine."

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/technology/end-of-pay-and-display-parking-machines-to-be-scrapped-as-public-told-to-use-apps/ar-AA18P1Yw?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=0b4c8556bdfb4a8285b61e9f400428e1&ei=20

"Dave Smith of the British Parking Association said parking operators should offer cash payment as well as digital and fines shouldn't be issued if the system isn't working."

Bear gone.

G

I'm dreading the answer here but its got to be said which one my Dear Bear.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

12 hours ago, Tony_S said:

11 hours ago, polybear said:

Ouch...........

Not as much “Ouch” as coming off that ladder would entail.

As a paramedic I’ve had some amusing calls (amusing to us paramedics, not to the patient) involving people who did things “on the cheap”, frequently involving contraptions (like Bear’s ladder) and lash-ups that would make a Heath Robinson contraption look over-engineered…

Now, I’m as against frivolous expense as the next Bear, but I certainly value my hide as being worth more than £479! But you can get stair ladders for less than £479: even an impecunious/tight-pawed Bear could invest in something from this list: https://www.screwfix.com/c/storage-ladders/stair-ladders/cat831458

Look at it this way Bear: a proper stair ladder will cost a couple of Deltics, BUT (a) will ensure the Bear avoids the whole “I can’t play with my trainset ‘cos I’m all busted up” scenario and (b) if you get a multipurpose ladder (see list above) it can be used for countless other DIY decorating tasks. A sensible investment.

Mrs iD sometimes grumbles that I have bought protective goggles, a half-mask respirator and a pair of Butcher’s Gloves (Cut Resistant, Stainless Steel Mesh Gloves) and have “only” used them a few times each. But, BUT, because of them I still have both eyes, 2 healthy lungs and all 12 fingers 🤣

iD

p.s. in an earlier post I referred to the “C&T Ward” - a bit of very dark medical humour as it stands for “Cabbage and Turnip Ward” (those being very black humour terms that refer to patients who are alive but have minimal or no discernible brain function.

p.p.s. Captain Cynical sends his regards and hopes you’ll get cracking with the wall papering using that ladder lash-up. He says he’s looking forward to having a Polybear rug in front of the fire in the Great Hall!

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 16
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

Morning All!

10 hours ago, polybear said:

In your dreams sunshine!

Go on, you don't fool us with all these fake denials.  You love it.

In other news:

If one of the major excuses reasons for doing away with meters is theft of cash;    it's simple go to contactless card payments only (the saviour during the pandemic) then there's no cash to thieve.     Even the elderly have and (mostly) can use such bank cards.    It really isn't rocket science, on second thoughts I was correct first time they are all just excuses to support agendas and dogma.

As I've said before, we need people*  who will actually get a grip of all these very serious issues affecting the everyday lives of ALL of the population and point out to these dimwits the error of their ways (preferably with a custodial sentence).

* I'll have to leave it as "people" for fear of being struck down (or struck off).   I'd best climb down from my soapbox now. 

@polybear can I borrow your ladder? I've only got short legs ....

In Other News

It's chuckinitdarn so no venturing to Old Warden or anywhere else today on the old AJ.

Maybe a little bit of garage tidying will be the order of the day.

Over and out.

• Like 17
  • Funny 1

6 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Not as much “Ouch” as coming off that ladder would entail.

As a paramedic I’ve had some amusing calls (amusing to us paramedics, not to the patient) involving people who did things “on the cheap”, frequently involving contraptions (like Bear’s ladder) and lash-ups that would make a Heath Robinson contraption look over-engineered…

Now, I’m as against frivolous expense as the next Bear, but I certainly value my hide as being worth more than £479! But you can get stair ladders for less than £479: even an impecunious/tight-pawed Bear could invest in something from this list: https://www.screwfix.com/c/storage-ladders/stair-ladders/cat831458

Look at it this way Bear: a proper stair ladder will cost a couple of Deltics, BUT (a) will ensure the Bear avoids the whole “I can’t play with my trainset ‘cos I’m all busted up” scenario and (b) if you get a multipurpose ladder (see list above) it can be used for countless other DIY decorating tasks. A sensible investment.

Mrs iD sometimes grumbles that I have bought protective goggles, a half-mask respirator and a pair of Butcher’s Gloves (Cut Resistant, Stainless Steel Mesh Gloves) and have “only” used them a few times each. But, BUT, because of them I still have both eyes, 2 healthy lungs and all 12 fingers 🤣

iD

p.s. in an earlier post I referred to the “C&T Ward” - a bit of very dark medical humour uas it stands for “Cabbage and Turnip Ward” (those being very black humour terms that refer to patients who are alive but have minimal or no discernible brain function.

p.p.s. Captain Cynical sends his regards and hopes you’ll get cracking with the wall papering using that ladder lash-up. He says he’s looking fowrad to having a Polybear rug in front of the fire in the Great Hall!

Nothing wrong with a bit of a lash up its what we Brits do well. I seem to recall a Army officer who lash up some pieces of kit to get us ashore on D Day and that turned out alright. 

Bit harsh isn't that Captain C a poly bear rug. A head mounted on the wall would be better. Wouldn't wet from the snow as well.

• Like 9

Pursuant to my previous post, I dimly recall that - at one time - you could rent all kinds of equipment for those jobs where you couldn’t justify buying the gear (usually because it was a one-off job). Whatever happened to them?

And what has happened to all those little repair shops? They seem to be few and far between*. I wonder if the advent of cheap, pretty much disposable, made in the PRC gear has anything to do with?

That seems to be a likely scenario. Why spend £300 plus for a good quality Makita electric drill when you can get a Ferrex electric drill from Aldi for £19.99? I guess that’s what a lot of people think (althoug for the cognoscenti and people who are serious about the gear they buy, getting the best kit possible and hanging on to it forever is the way to go).

* there’s a little repair shop near my house. Just to look at something to see if it is reparable incurs a SFr 150 charge (plus parts & labour if it is repairable). So when our elderly steam iron (it was about 15 years old), stopped producing steam, it was cheaper to buy a new state of the art steam iron, than to see if the old iron was repairable (I don’t know if I could repair the old steam iron, but I would imagine that dealing with the combination of water and electricity that you find in a steam iron would require a higher skill set than I possess)

• Like 15
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

A bright, sunny start to the day here in the northwest corner of England. The temperature is currently 6C, so a bit cooler than the last few days. All the clocks, apart from the car (this will be done later) have been reset and a morning in the garden is on the cards. Today marks the 38th birthday of Michael, our youngest child, where the bl00dy hell did the time go? 

Back later. 

Brian

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2