The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

28 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Unfortunately, although our vehicles aren't on DVLA, the do liaise with Fraggle Rock version of it (grey haired lady in a dusty office) nowadays. Pah.

A few years ago when in hospital in Greater Manchester (aka Wigan  Wrightington hospital) after some fairly gory hip surgery I discovered my mobile wouldn't call Fraggle Rock Patient Transfer to arrange transport and flights to get me home.  Useless.  Fragg-O-Com couldn't explain why this was. Shrug of shoulders.  My reply was less than polite, being left marooned unable to walk, away from home was no fun and that was not the answer I was looking for.  We still find their performance in the UK to be dodgy, and it's been a few years since I was up Catbells!  See 'hospital' above!

Now Neil if only you'd mentioned my name all that would have been sorted. I have connections aka The Family who work there.

I've always said it's not who you are but who you know.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening Awl,

Deer dodging not required, just one red already dead lying in a field .

Several rats running across the roads.

One low flying barn owl...

One of our pear trees is in flower,. It's nearest apple tree  is also not far off flowering.

A fair amount of traffic on the roads tonight as well.

Since I'm muddling an RAF station, seco huts are required, they're made from prefab panels. So that's what I did, made a big stack of panels.. what i haven't got is windows 11, no I'm not joking, there are are 11 windows in this version of hut... 6 huts.. 

Need to find a supplier of tiny crittall windows.

• Like 19

I remember parking in Keswick.  I once spent a week in Borrowdale and got used to going into Keswick for shopping and eating.  What I didn't realise though was that on market day, Saturday IIRC, the high street/market place was closed off for parking.  This was indicated by those signs which had a semi-circular hinged plate which when lifted up and latched showed that day's parking rules*.  Anyhow, on this particular day I drove up the high street without noticing that the signs had been changed over and was stopped by a traffic warden who wrote out and handed me a ticket - the shame of it.  I was to report to the police station and pay my debt to society.  That morning Keswick police station was heaving with fellow miscreants and harrassed desk officers apologising for traffic warden 'Hodges' who did this every market day until someone had turned up to cone off the market place.

* Incidentally, I've not seen any for years but they had them where I grew up to swap town centre parking from one side of the road to the other on alternate days.

Edited by Adam88
  • Like 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

We are stuck in a queue of ships waiting toget into the docks at Hull.  I may be some time.

I hadn't realised Hull was at all popular!  

• Agree 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Getting ready for my brothers funeral next Tuesday, everything cleaned and pressed and waiting. I'm wondering if my slow puncture is the same problem as @polybear had with his car, the valve and not the tyre itself, time for the soapy water test.

44 minutes ago, Adam88 said:

I remember parking in Keswick.  I once spent a week in Borrowdale and got used to going into Keswick for shopping and eating.  What I didn't realise though was that on market day, Saturday IIRC, the high street/market place was closed off for parking.  This was indicated by those signs which had a semi-circular hinged plate which when lifted up and latched showed that day's parking rules*.  Anyhow, on this particular day I drove up the high street without noticing that the signs had been changed over and was stopped by a traffic warden who wrote out and handed me a ticket - the shame of it.  I was to report to the police station and pay my debt to society.  That morning Keswick police station was heaving with fellow miscreants and harrassed desk officers apologising for traffic warden 'Hodges' who did this every market day until someone had turned up to cone off the market place.

* Incidentally, I've not seen any for years but they had them where I grew up to swap town centre parking from one side of the road to the other on alternate days.

The answer is simple, task traffic warden Hodges the task of coning off the market place.

• Like 3
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 6

8 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Getting ready for my brothers funeral next Tuesday, everything cleaned and pressed and waiting. I'm wondering if my slow puncture is the same problem as @polybear had with his car, the valve and not the tyre itself, time for the soapy water test.

The answer is simple, task traffic warden Hodges the task of coning off the market place.

I would tend to agree but I imagine that it was more than Hodges' job was worth.

• Funny 14

8 minutes ago, Adam88 said:

I would tend to agree but I imagine that it was more than Hodges' job was worth.

What's a traffic warden? We have civil enforcement officers aka money making £%&#£& - you can guess the last word.

• Like 7
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

On my way back from the butchers this morning it started to rain, thankfully I was almost home and also that it wasn’t heavy! When I went to the Trafford Centre I did call into to Waterstones, but I didn’t see any books that I fancied reading, so I left empty handed. 

Once back home, I decided to watch some of the ‘Hornby’ programs as I’m way behind with those, I got 2 watched , one either side of dinner. When Sheila finally came to sit down, I made us both a hot drink and we sat and watched last night’s ‘Question Time’. 

Just after we’d had dinner, Sheila was looking out of the back door window and spotted a brimstone butterfly, she got quite excited by that. However, this is about the time of year when the come out of hibernation and they usually hibernate in holly bushes. When have one in the garden and there are some on the school field behind the workshop, so it’s not really surprising, but it is an indicator that spring is definitely here. 

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium

We tidied the garage today. Weather was nice and Dayle decided that it was time to bring the reindeer in. So we had to clear out the space they summer in. And move some shelves and things around.  Tomorrow we get ice.

When we were outside Boston, Ma a few years ago there was a commuter train from the town into the big city. But parking required  using a phone app and Dayle doesn't do those. Since we had a rental car we didn't want to chance a parking ticket.  And there was no ticket seller or whatever. Maybe buy a ticket on the train?

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

State election day, there's a more interesting choice at the accompanying sausage sizzle than there is at the ballot box.

(Newton is where the hipsters hang out and Pauline is our Nigel Farage in a frock)

image.png.a7920607cf2bf6965ec73927c700d8f4.png

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 4
  • Funny 9

Good morning all,

Wandering around YouTube (as one does, as one does) I came across the following a wonderful combination of music and talented dog training. Definitely something to put a smile on your face in the morning.

Not only is the whole routine done with great humour, but I also like the soundtrack. I think that the video will appeal to both dog lovers and former/current military people.

What’s interesting about freestyle heel work to music is that this can only be achieved by having a good, solid, partnership between dog and handler - which requires a lot of patience and can only be achieved through reward based training. Basically, you reward the dog for performing a desired behaviour and when you have a suitable number of desired behaviours, you put them all together to form “a dance“.

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 6

• RMweb Premium

I did remark to a fellow passenger that the queue was usually for people toget out of Hull. From ell, ull and alifax good lord deliver us as the saying goes. I di once hear a very amusing tale by a home office pathologist who said that whenever he found a certain sphincter torn he knew he was in Hull. JAMIE

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

State election day, there's a more interesting choice at the accompanying sausage sizzle than there is at the ballot box.

(Newton is where the hipsters hang out and Pauline is our Nigel Farage in a frock)

image.png.a7920607cf2bf6965ec73927c700d8f4.png

Lummy!  I thought they were free!!

Baz

• Agree 2
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Wet and windy start here but we now have now blue sky and a bit of sunshine along with the clouds.  A windy day forecast with sunny spells along with scattered showers which may be heavy at times.  9°C rising to 14°C.

Rugby watched and enjoyed last night, I suspect Warren will be pleased with the result.  Two matches today, first up my team Quins are visiting Saracens so that may well be hard work.

More domestic tasks are "essential" according to Management.  Friends from next door are coming in for food and drinks tonight so that could  will end up being a very enjoyable time.  

Steve starts his 2 day, 4 train trip home from Italy today.  Hope it runs as smoothly as the journey out, especially when he gets to Paris.

Breakfast shortly and then "essential" tasks.  Can't wait.

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl,

4 hours solid sleep, 3 hours sleep with the odd wake up and turn over..

Ben the alarm clock Collie will be happy tomorrow as we get up an hour earlier.

He cut short today's patrol, not sure why,  it's very sunny out there, but blowing a hoolie.

Much searching for windows 11 x 6 of the right type, eventually packs of 8 x 3, 2 x packs ordered.

Not surprised people want to get out of Hull, it's cold and wet in the river, the towns name is Kingston.

Big piece on youths gathering in the streets on TV... That's because in days gone by most of these 16-18 year olds would have been in work.. come home knackered, and only gone out on a Saturday night.

Now they laze around uninterested at school and then wander around in the evenings...

Plans for today,

Fit trim to under stairs cupboard, 

Fit last reinforcement to under stairs.

Maybe work on console table.

But first 

Time for a muggacoffee.

• Like 16
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Morning All,

Didnt sleep very well due to rain hammering on the soon so got up and had breakfast at 4.00 am and now in a quandary, another breakfast or just a coffee. Depends on where we’re taking dogs and the chance of lunch out. I suppose I’d better get up and find out from SWMBO, who’s making a cake for mil, what the plans are.  

• Friendly/supportive 17