The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

Male VS  Female, your pic is of the male. They have  a body length of up to 50mm, then you add the legs.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK.....................

50mm INCLUDING the legs would be absolutely fugginmahooosive in this Bear's Book (and I suspect any other remotely sane person too).

33 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

My local 'Spoons does pretty good food if you can get there when it's quiet and the kitchen isn't busy.  Great for the money as well. 

@iL Dottore is currently chokin' on his Rice Krispies..... 

• Like 3
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. The arthritis is calm at the moment and I hope it stays that way. T-C's, the car has a slow puncture so I'll have to get its fixed a.s.a.p. more modelling tokens going.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Like everyone else, I was unable to get on here this morning, when I attempted to do so all I got was a 503 service temporarily unavailable. When I had a few spare minutesI throughout the day, I kept checking and I was finally able to get access to the site around 4 o’clock this afternoon, although I think it had been up and running already for a couple of hours by then.

Anyway, back to this morning, the weather has been glorious today, blue skies and a stiff breeze, but it was 14C this afternoon. I spent the morning like yesterday, weeding and the afternoon was spent in the workshop. The oil reservoir I made for the Sherman tank’s suspension yesterday hadn’t set, pah. I assume that I hadn’t put enough hardener in the mix, so I made a new one again today and this time I got it right. It’s now fixed in place on the suspension unit and if I do say so myself, looks very good. 

When I’d finished for the day, I packed up and came back inside, made myself a muggertea and I finished the book I been reading since late last week. It’s called ‘The 21 Escapes Of Lt. Alastair Cram”. It’s by David M. Guss and is one of those books that is very hard to put down. 

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, polybear said:

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK.....................

50mm INCLUDING the legs would be absolutely fugginmahooosive in this Bear's Book (and I suspect any other remotely sane person too).

The Squeeze, being Polish and fond of a bargain, loves the eternal coffee machine (she hasn’t touched alcohol for over three years now) and is a big fan of their pizzas.  I am not averse to a Hunter’s Chicken or a Tuesday (curry day) Lamb Madras, which comes with a free pint.  The place is friendly and not particularly like the general impression of a ‘Spoons you find in the meeja. 

Haven’t got much time for the arrogant entitled ‘stard who owns it, though…

• Like 15

8 hours ago, The Johnster said:

My local 'Spoons does pretty good food if you can get there when it's quiet and the kitchen isn't busy.  Great for the money as well. 

7 hours ago, polybear said:

Currently, I am enjoying a plate of assorted local charcuterie and cheeses together with a strong coffee for my breakfast and not choking at all (as for Rice Krispies and other manufactured, sugar laden, kiddie food, No Thank You)

Actually, I’m not adverse to a Wetherspoons breakfast. As I have mentioned before, even your average industrial banger can be pretty good and as long as you avoid the chewy, mostly water and nitrites, back bacon, leave off the beans and tomatoes, you can get a pretty decent “full English”. You can even get black pudding (for which I will forgive of J.D. Wetherspoons a lot of culinary sins). I also avoid the “hockey puck“ style hashbrowns, mostly because in the hands of an unskilled cook, they taste mostly of fat or cooking oil.

And whilst on the subject of breakfast, I was reading in a newspaper (perhaps the Guardian?) an article lamenting the demise of the local caff. In the comments to the article, someone wrote that they understood the appeal of an inexpensive breakfast, albeit made with mass produced “industrial“ ingredients, but failed to see the appeal of paying artisanal breakfast prices (say around £16 or so) for the same mass produced ingredient breakfast at one of the few remaining caffs in the City of London.

OK £16 may be considered “chump change” (to use an Americanism) by a Hedge Fund Manager, but still….

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Evening all from Estuary-Land. The arthritis is calm at the moment and I hope it stays that way. T-C's, the car has a slow puncture so I'll have to get its fixed a.s.a.p. more modelling tokens going.

Why is it that nails, screws etc. ALWAYS manage to embed themselves on the edge of a tyre, meaning a new tyre rather than a fix?  Yep, Rant.

Bear here.....

Not the best night due to waking at 4am and struggling to get back to the land of Zedd for far too long.  Turdycurses.

I've been reading up on the forthcoming disappearance of 3G (the end of the year for this Bear's provider).  Then I found this:

"Customers using the EE, Vodafone and O2 networks with an older device will still be able to make calls and send text messages after 3G switch-off. These services can use the 2G network, which isn’t being switched off yet. But the 2G network was not designed to work for accessing data services, so customers with older devices will no longer be able to access most of their mobile data services after 3G switch-off (although where older devices can connect to Wi-Fi, customers can still use this to access data services)."

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/advice/3g-switch-off

Since this Bear "doesn't do" internet or email on the phone then I can live with that.

Today's fun may well involve handing a few strips of wallpaper - it won't be too many though, in order to (hopefully) avoid "The Revenge of the Paw".  After that it'll be MIUABGAD.

Bear gone.

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Dinner at the Pimlico Tandoori last night, an old haunt which is a bit like a favourite pair of shoes, I go there knowing what I'll get and am never disappointed. I do miss Anglo-Indian food. Indian food in Singapore is excellent but mainly South Indian and it is generally more Indian (noting it has also mingled with local SE Asian flavours and preferences so is not truly Indian) than Anglo-Indian food which is a very distinct style.

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Well, it sounds a strangely implausible concatenation of events, and makes me feel a bit like Bobby Ewing stepping out of the shower.. Casting

🤪

Well we are an erudite group this morning, not heard that word for a long time.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 13