The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Although I wasn't very troubled by the arthritis yesterday I woke up a couple of times last night with it in full swing. However a bit of exercise, walking hobbling to the bathroom for a pee eased it enormously. It seams that keep moving is the key, don't sit or lie in the same position for too long. As is often the case I haven't had to resort to painkillers.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

2 hours ago, grandadbob said:

Just seen Bear's comment about Council Tax. Last year we paid 13.882 Deltics.  (£2360)   This year although I haven't got the bill yet I believe we will be expected to pay about 14.7 Deltics  (£2500). * That is also most definitely a rant.  😠🤬

* For a 3 bedroom semi!!!

in our case, the Boring Borough has put up the tax by 3% and 2.9% for Adult Social Care. The GLA element has gone up 9.7%. Our total charge is just below the 14.7 Deltics mentioned by GDB. This was a three bed semi but was extended around 25 years ago to include two bedrooms over the garage/utility room in our West Wing (actually nearer WSW)

Band E

Edited by The Lurker
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

That sounds pretty horrific to be quite honest. When I retired fifteen years ago I thought it would be great to live to 100 but now I'm not too sure that I'd want to. Basically my body is wearing out and many things that I used to enjoy are now physically beyond me. Its all about the quality of life not the quantity.

After looking at some of the life expectancy tables I found one that showed healthy life expectancy and total life expectancy. The years of unhealthy life are increasing too.

• Informative/Useful 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

The weather doesn’t seem to be able to make its mind up today. When I got up an hour ago, the overnight rain had stopped back garden, although wet, was bathed in sunshine! However, it’s now gone quite dark and looks like it could rain again. There’s a stiff breeze that’s Making the clouds move rather rapidly, the temperature is currently 11C so I might chance a few hours in the garden.

@TheQ sorry to read about the loss of your brother. 

• Like 11
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

A-walking I have been and 1.1 miles managed with no real ill effects apart from aching a bit in The Hip and The Back.  This is a good thing as I'm due to go walkabout in London on Thursday.

I've now been asked to investigate the tumble dryer which is not working to The Boss's satisfaction.  I don't know what she expects,  I'm not qualified!  

Edited by grandadbob
  • Friendly/supportive 18

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

That sounds pretty horrific to be quite honest. When I retired fifteen years ago I thought it would be great to live to 100 but now I'm not too sure that I'd want to. Basically my body is wearing out and many things that I used to enjoy are now physically beyond me. Its all about the quality of life not the quantity.

The Ancient Greeks (who were a pretty savvy lot) saw the drawbacks to eternal life a long time ago, The sobering tale of Tithonus - who got eternal life but not eternal youth (https://www.greekmythology.com/Myths/Mortals/Tithonus/tithonus.html)  cautions us mere mortals to be happy with our allotted lifespan.

And whilst we may petition the Gods, our destinies are always in the hands of The Fates https://www.greekmythology.com/Other_Gods/The_Fates/the_fates.html. Beware the shears of Atropos....

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

On things like DIN switching units I'd recommend looking at professional music stores online. Not only are they much more likely to sell such gear than hifi shops, they tend to be better value (perhaps counter-intuitively, pro gear made for studio, recording and performance use is often cheaper than consumer audio gear). There's a company called Behringer that make a huge range of stuff at value for money prices, it may not be the best gear but it generally works and for something like a switching unit that's all that matters.

This is what I have started to record my flute with, courtesy Ray, of course! 😁

IMG_5193.jpeg.3310dc8506f199a60a3136edaf369e31.jpeg

So far, I have used it just a few times. Once, the initial test, me playing the flute, Ray doing the recording. The other times, on my own getting to know how to use it.  I made myself a basic "on the back of an envelope" manual to guide me next time I record. It may be a few weeks away yet, as I am still a little way off a recording standard (at my level, anyway ;-) of the new twiddly bits. It seems easy to use and sounds a lot better being fed from the Mac pc to the home speakers than hearing it through my MacBook or iPhone. 

On that cheery note

' morning all from red dragon land.

A lot of this around. 🌞 Temp. is just making double figures, 10C, outside. There is a bit of a breeze blowing - and gusting nicely - though big fluffy clouds are looming back and front.

I might get some muddling done - too dark, yesterday, and I was battling away on the flute moving the goalpost, so not a chance....!!!!

Off now for a mugadecaf.

Take care. Be good. Keep at it.

Polly

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Firstly, and most importantly, VVSBT's to @TheQ and Family - though on a positive note (and if I've understood correctly) at least The Q's Brother was at home at the time, which is how I think many of us would want to go.

In other news....

The Big Scary Wall has now been sized - and without incident too; that completes all the sizing - the next job is to mark the vertical pencil lines for the wallpaper (Again - cos' the sizing made the last lot disappear 🙁).  The other small result is I managed to complete the sizing using the mix I prepared right at the start, and with diddlysquat wastage either (well ok, only about 0.5%) - I usually either have to mix some more of whatever (usually wall filler) or make far too much and have to bin a load.

Bear gone.

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

I know the Deltic exchange rate but I wonder how many virgins the Beeb would get for a Lineker.

I bet they could get a lot of choral singers too.

• Funny 13

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

If you watch some of the You Tube compilations you'd think that Russia would top the list.

You might want to check out China too . They see accident happening ahead , lean on the horn

then drive into it , brakes , what brakes .

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold

It was fine and a bit sunny earlier, it isn't any more.

Yesterday being Monday was housework and washing day.  Once that was done I went to get my ears lifted, the barber made a good job of it.  Had I been a few days later he would have been away so I timed it right for once.  Then I had a walk around the shops and called at Wilkos to get a new mixing bowl - I ended up witha Pyrex one to replace an old one and a plastic one which is a bit bigger.  While I was there I also bought some printer ink - the cheap version in remanufactured cartridges - I don't do photo printing anymore so it is basically just text to print from e mails and now and then a letter.

In the afternoon I caught up on magazines and ordered a rolling road (n gauge) and some new books and maps from Platform 5.  It was "necessary" as two of my folding maps with railways of France and some other countries are wearing out.  I also took out a magazine subscription.

I had a look at some shirts and actually decided one was worn enough to be thrown out.

Sometime in the next few days roadworks will appear on my road as the area is being cabled by (I think) Virgin.  That means that I will not be able to use my drive as they need to take the pavement up for a short while.

Then during the evening I found that the computer had decided that I didn't have any Google nest minis or a TV to cast to.  I think it was the result of a momentary power cut on Monday evening which blacked out about half the town for several hours - I was lucky, the lights in my house just went out and came on again.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 18