The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

3 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

WE got a quote from a company that hires out mobile wifi setups  for events

Connectivity for high-density locations like stadiums, airports and exhibition halls is a big part of the promise of 5G.

Presuming that a large exhibition centre like Alexandra Palace would attract a 5G infrastructure provider to want to install sufficient antennae / connection points then a full 5G deployment should address this sort of problem there.

Few people consider the problems that tens of thousands of people, appearing for a couple of days, and wanting to just connect, let alone live stream video to social media, can put on telecommunications bandwidth of a 'normally' unoccupied space.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
Spelling
  • Like 3
  • Agree 7
  • Informative/Useful 2

5 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Few people consider the problems that tens of thousands of people, appearing for a couple of days, and wanting to just connect, let alone live stream video to social media, can put on telecommunications bandwidth of a 'normally' unoccupied space.

Yeah unless one of the event organisers setup a hotspot on his  mobile phone, made everyone connect through that  and then raked in all the 78 pound fees there's going to be pretty substantial  infrastructure rental costs. 

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

I liken bandwidth to water from a tap. There’s usually enough there for typical use but if everyone wants a shower at the same time …..  

Bear recalls a Hotel in Glasgow where every early evening you'd try to take a shower before going out for din dins and the effin' showers would play the good 'ol hot n' cold routine as the demand varied along the corridor - one minute it was like ice, the next like a kettle.

A naughty Bear got so p1ssed off with it one evening that I played with the cold tap just so I could hear the screams and naughty words being uttered along the top floor of the Hotel....

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Premium

Nice parking:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-65008705

Especially for GDB @grandadbob - sorry to hear that you couldn't make it, but here's a nicely done video to show some of the layouts;  at least you saved yourself a b0llockin' from SWMBO by not getting home clutching naughty red & blue boxes....🙁

Bear here....

A very quiet day featuring nottalott at all - telly and the web, with din dins thrown in for good measure; the good news is The Paw has behaved itself reasonably well during the day.

Bear gone.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Greetings all from a pleasantly cool but rather grey London. It's kind of nice to be home, but I can't help having slightly mixed feelings. I went for a walk along the Southbank early this morning and the sight below was one of those things that just seems to speak a thousand words about the state of the country.

Covid wall.jpg

• Agree 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

I went to Euston yesterday to see if there was any chance of a quick trip to Carlisle (no). I noticed this, I've never seen it before. I was really impressed to see these trains remembered, followed by asking what nugget decided to pale a customer feedback notice in the same place, overlapping it. How to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. 

Jellicoe express.jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 11
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

I had a splendid reminder of why Jolly Brits overseas have such a stellar reputation on Friday night, at Ho Chi Minh airport.

At the departure gate for the flight to London on Friday night a fight broke out between two old geezers, it started as raised voices, then escalated to pushing then got nasty, followed by rather stern looking Police officers intervening and leading them off. One thing I like about Communist and former Communist countries is the Police always look suitably attired and menacing, I suspect a Vietnamese police cell is probably not the most pleasant of environments to experience. Both looked older than me, I'd guess late 50's, so they didn't even have the excuse of youthful stupidity, first time away from home and all that (not that such would be an excuse, but I have a bit more latitude for stupid behaviour from youngsters).

It makes me wonder, I'm a member of an aviation enthusiast FB group and that stories of reprehensible behaviour by people flying are endemic. Things seem to have gotten worse since the pandemic, there is rarely a day without a story of someone acting like a complete ass, fighting, urinating on the passenger next to them, exposing themselves, fornicating, assaulting flight attendants and lord knows what else. Has it really gotten worse, or is social media and the 24/7 accessibility of stories amplifying it all? I suspect it is a bit of both.

A common feature of so many of these incidents is alcohol. I rarely drink. I'm not teetotal and have no moral objection to alcohol, I just don't especially like it. The one alcohol I genuinely enjoy is sake, but I rarely drink it. However, alcohol seems to be the common thread in many (but not quite) of these incidents. I used to take the train home late at night from London to Milton Keynes sometimes if an IMO meeting went on, or I was returning home from a business trip and to call it like a zoo would be to insult animals with all the appalling behaviour.

I also wonder if part of it is down to a permissive attitude. The sort of thing I saw the other night would barely register in Britain and would probably be met with a polite request not to kill each other, and if the Police do get involved they'd get a slap on the wrist and be sent on their way. Many of these people expect a similar attitude overseas, and find out the hard way that other countries don't tolerate that sort of behaviour. It's embarrassing really.

• Like 8
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

23 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

I went to Euston yesterday to see if there was any chance of a quick trip to Carlisle (no). I noticed this, I've never seen it before. I was really impressed to see these trains remembered, followed by asking what nugget decided to pale a customer feedback notice in the same place, overlapping it. How to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. 

Jellicoe express.jpg

They want to hear from you. Give 'em some appropriate feedback...

• Like 4
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

I also wonder if part of it is down to a permissive attitude. The sort of thing I saw the other night would barely register in Britain and would probably be met with a polite request not to kill each other, and if the Police do get involved they'd get a slap on the wrist and be sent on their way. Many of these people expect a similar attitude overseas, and find out the hard way that other countries don't tolerate that sort of behaviour. It's embarrassing really.

A few years ago we were in a nice hotel in Greece. There were four youths/young men on the same floor as us occupying two twin rooms and unfortunately they were the archetype 'Brits on the lash'. The first night they came in at about 3am and proceeded to make more noise than the average football crowd as well as smashing bottles on the floor, setting off fire extinguishers etc. for about an hour. Eventually the management and security people managed to quieten them down then lo and behold they did the same thing the following two nights. The last time the management kept their promise made the previous night and evicted them so the lads apparently complained to their tour operator demanding alternative accommodation. I was told later that the rep simply told them that if they read the small print they didn't have any right to such a transfer so they were on their own until their return flight. I was also told that they ended up sleeping on the nearby beach but were arrested and spent some time looking at the view through bars - not the same type they liked though. Fortunately the management went to great pains to let us know that they didn't regard all Brits as the same but even so, as jjb1970 says, it's embarrassing. 

Dave

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 10
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Not done a lot today but I did manage to put away last weeks washing, tomorrow there'll be another lot out to dry. The arthritis/sciatica is quiet at the moment and I hope it stays that way, although the joints are still very stiff.

• Like 17

NSW had a snap lockdown in December 2020 following a re-emergence of cases after we'd been COVID free for several  months. Usual limitations were in force including a ban on public gatherings including family Christmas events. For some reason  this didn't seem to apply to backpackers from a certain country who traditionally congregate on Bondi beach on Christmas day so they can  say they've experienced Christmas Day at the beach or something

.  Locals stay away due to drunkenness and Oasis songs.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-55471235

And the dumb thing was, is that it was all cloudy anyway so it would have just seemed like they were  in England.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5
  • Friendly/supportive 4

2 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

For some reason  this didn't seem to apply to backpackers from a certain country who traditionally congregate on Bondi beach on Christmas day

Ignoring for the moment how they might have actually behaved on the beach, it would have been far "safer" for them to be distancing on the beach than clustered together in packed hostels.

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Ignoring for the moment how they might have actually behaved on the beach, it would have been far "safer" for them to be distancing on the beach than clustered together in packed hostels.

Not  much "Social Distancing on the beach " going on!

image.png.eccaf828bd81950ca0190a5a7e6015f3.png

• Like 7
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

5 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Inevitably. I wonder if there is hard data about how many of them ended up in hospital - or subsequently infected people who did.

Nevertheless being crammed indoors in a hostel would have been worse. A packed hostel is probably the worst sort of congregate setting for respiratory infections.

There were some anonymized mobile telephone data about the geographic spread of individuals* who attended Spring break partying in Florida in 2020 and where their telephones pinged some days later. It was pretty dramatic.

* I don't believe it was correlated with infection data.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 7

3 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Inevitably. I wonder if there is hard data about how many of them ended up in hospital - or subsequently infected people who did.

Nevertheless being crammed indoors in a hostel would have been worse. A packed hostel is probably the worst sort of congregate setting for respiratory infections.

But at least when that happens we can lock them in, like we did.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-12-09/noahs-bondi-backpackers-hostel-locked-down-covid19/100687918

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

23 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

image.png.eccaf828bd81950ca0190a5a7e6015f3.png

If they were Brits wouldn't have mattered as we are all 'jabbed'. Well at least the over fifties are oh and vulnerable err think that's it. So as this lot look like generation z yen I'd just lock them up and let them out in 2030.

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

If they were Brits wouldn't have mattered as we are all 'jabbed'. Well at least the over fifties are oh and vulnerable err think that's it. So as this lot look like generation z yen I'd just lock them up and let them out in 2030.

Ah but we had travel bans on all incoming non-residents which were enacted in March 2020 and still in force when this took place, (which is why we were COVID free for most of 2020), so these were Brits who were already here and therefore werent jabbed.....

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

I’ve had a very productive and enjoyable day in the garden, after my mid morning muggertea, I then planted out 8 lily of the valley and then planted up another pot with 3 lilies. I then dug up my other rhubarb plant and then put that in a pot. It hasn’t been doing very well in the garden and as the other rhubarb is doing very well in a pot, I thought I’ve got nothing to lose by trying this on in a pot as well. 

After dinner, I did some maintenance on the solar lights that are located in one of the borders close to the garden path and also to the solar lights that hang on both of the apple trees. Late this afternoon we were entertained by a pair of long tailed tits that repeatedly attempted to get into the dining room via the closed French doors. 

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 18

5 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Hopefully you will still continue to have sufficient water in the Thames watershed come the summer.

Tomorrow's equinox should bring rain here. Despite a record rainfall last Monday*, we still have a deficit, though snowpacks are above normal, which is the most important thing.

* Which took the Portland metro area out of "D0 - Abnormally Dry" status on the drought monitor. Parts of central Oregon remain in the highest category "D4 - Exceptional Drought" status.

Three days >15°C have finally seen daffodils and crocuses bloom for the first time this year. Today sees a heavy overcast with rain to come later and we won't see 15°C for a while - with low elevation snow threatened for next weekend.

Pleasantly warm here today. I finally managed to persuade MrsID to drive IDSPIDY so off we went for a spin with the roof down.

That may have been a serious error on my part. She really enjoyed driving it.

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 11