The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

' afternoon all from red dragon land.

Sun and blue sky sneaking out behind the cloud with rain coming up behind. Still 10.8C though.

More tabla beats sounded out from the beat box for me to match up to on the flute, this morning,  two groups of two notes posing a finger action problem and, thus, a timing problem with quick double tapping on successive and alternating notes. I cannot blame stiffness or age because when I was younger this sort of stuff was beyond me! Least ways, the length of time required to drum it into me was scarce back then.

Click and collect groceries, later, so time to sort out some lunch.

Polly

• Friendly/supportive 19

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear has a policy of keeping even very out of date batteries (any obvious degradation and they're binned though); I simply measure the volts with a DMM and if they're on the money then they're kept.

Otherwise you can easily have situations where a battery very close to being past it's life expiry date gets fitted to a device and then a few days later it's "out of life" yet working rather happily.  I've had batteries that are well in-life yet leak (I'll not buy "JCB" batteries from Home Bargains for this very reason as I've had several showing that problem.)

That's what I do with ones which are only "a bit" out of date.  These were dated 2012 - 2015.  They didn't show much sign of life.

I agree about certain batteries which leak - even Duracell can do that from time to time.

David

• Like 7
  • Agree 9

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Not much trouble from arthritis or sciatica at the moment, probably because I am sitting  on a stool that doesn't put pressure on the hips. However being wood and hard it leaves me with a numb bum.

• Friendly/supportive 16

1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

But it keeps you waiting for it.  

Dr. SWMBO tried to book a GP's appointment today and was told the next available was in May 🤯🤬   She doesn't know whether or not she will be unwell in May yet.  But she does know that her hospital consultant is awaiting blood test results; only the surgery can do the bloods, apparently.  Until that's done her entire medical requirements are being delayed potentially leading to a deterioration in any underlying condition.  

Is that why we are called a "Patient"? 

What's all this about it being our NHS. I thought the message had got through to everyone that the the NHS is in in fact a scheme to keep highly qualified artists off golf courses and a means of repayment for young persons so that they don't hang around on street corners intimidating other young persons from mugging old ladies.

Are you saying this isn't true?

Edited by Winslow Boy
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

I find Mrs Gwiwers situation with getting appointment odd. In our surgery, if you try to get an appointment for a normal request yes you might wait a couple of weeks. But if you got a request fro a hospital for blood tests, or something else requested by a hospital, you'll be offered something in the next few days, especially as it's the vampire you need for that not a doctor.

Just woke after a eyelid inspection, feel rather rough, forepaws are complaining like it's first thing in the morning.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18

17 minutes ago, Ian Abel said:

Today, panic ensued at the client as they can't get their Cash Flow statement for the auditors to balance, only a $1M off! Frantically having me try and find what account(s) they've managed to miss from one side or the other ... arrggg...

I am surprised they did not fudge it through Taxes. That's what everyone else does. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Funny 5

... St Patricks Day 2023. Birthdays: today my grandfather would have been 141, my mum 109, and Kerry 20 as she was a stray from Ireland and so we made her official birthday St Patrick’s Day, ...

https://johncolby.wordpress.com/2023/03/17/new-infections-28-up-in-a-day-raccoon-dog-origins-of-covid-and-opera-helps-long-covid/

• Like 17

5 hours ago, Tony_S said:

I think they do.

I got that impression from @jjb1970's post that they were clever enough to detect an anonymous location via VPN.

17 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

in the few minutes before the system recognized a VPN we found the same flights for less than half the fare they were charging in Singapore

Which I found interesting.

There are many examples of regionally sensitive pricing - even separate from local tax or regulatory fee implications.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

I have been a cyclist for very many years.  I cannot wait for the day when over 16's have to register their bikes and pass a competency test before they ride on the road - and just to be clear this would include an absolute ban on pavement riding unless using a marked shared-use path.  

Not forgetting compulsory 3rd Party Insurance.  Oh yes, and the rules religiously enforced with decent penalties....

• Like 3
  • Agree 12

• RMweb Premium

Bear here....

More wielding?  Nope.  Instead the afternoon was taken up by sorting & ordering "BA Fixings, Various" from Amberly Components (they have 16ba fixings, including 1.5mm A/F nuts) and Chronos (they have a smaller range - but a lot of their BA prices are rather good compared to other suppliers - and free postage too).  I took the opportunity to order numerous sizes - prices won't get cheaper in the future that's for sure.  

I also splashed the cash on a second iron to fit the temperature controlled solder station - it'll save having to keep swapping bits (usually when they're still hot....); the plan is for a larger bit in one iron and a much smaller one in the second for delicate work.  

The downside of all this is that Bear waved bye-bye to half a Deltic today.  Poo.

Bear's Tool P0rn Tip of the Day:

These a rather useful - basically a short n' dumpy fibreglass brush for cleaning, er, "things" 😉:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172574168007

Not only are they cheap & very effective, I've also found they don't shed the dreaded bristles that go everywhere (especially into a Bear's Paws).

Bear gone.

• Like 15

1 hour ago, pH said:

Here’s our mailman delivering the post today:

Noting the shorts (in addition to the "Top o' t' mornin" hat), we finally broke 15°C yesterday - our warmest day in 140 days (since late October). Today should be equally nice, though there is a little thin high cloud.

Rain is forecast to start again Sunday.

• Like 12

7 hours ago, DaveF said:

That's what I do with ones which are only "a bit" out of date.  These were dated 2012 - 2015.  They didn't show much sign of life.

I agree about certain batteries which leak - even Duracell can do that from time to time.

David

For correspondents in USA I have been told that COSTCO's own Kirkland brand batteries are actually made by Duracell. They sell both.

This may be an urban myth of course but they both seem to last about the same length of time.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

Evening All,

Day worked out just as I thought but fil popped round in his classic Mini Cooper. Not an original from the 60s but one from the late 90s.

I was hoping to visit the modelling room this evening but by the time we’d finished tea it was a bit late and I couldn’t be bothered. A bonus was I managed a small amount of work work.

Sydneys stayed over for a sleepover as we usually take him out on a Saturday morning so it was pointless taking him home.

Swbo watching a bit of tv while I’m listening to Spear of Destiny courtesy of Alexa.

For those going to Ally Pally over the weekend, have a great time and don’t forget your wallet!

Goodnight,

Robert

• Like 19