The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

... the Federal monuments were designed to impress Americans - not visiting dignitaries - creating a tangible manifestation of national ideals.

As a follow-on, the impact of the US Civil War to Washington cannot be understated. Overcoming parochial objections to federalism was an issue at founding, but creating a shared American identity was even more important after the Civil War.

Construction of the Washington monument was halted during the Civil War (partly from lack of funding before the war) but like much of the capital, post-war, creating a national ideal became more important. Construction of the Capitol Dome continued during the war to Lincoln's insistence. He would lie in state in the rotunda in 1865.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Informative/Useful 12

10 hours ago, polybear said:

**SPECIAL BEARY TIP OF THE DAY**

(Assuming you're ordering it from the Company and not from Amazon)

Use Code AST100 at Checkout and it'll get you a cool one hundred quid off.......

Now that's gottabeworth an LDC.....😁

Thanks for both the money saving tip and the offer of acting as a Beary Poste-Restante - I shall cogitate upon it.

I do have a small request: could you post the link to the appropriate Amazon page? My search of Amazon just turns up the usual PRC made poor-quality imitation knock-off rubbish. Ta muchly.

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 3

8 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

As A Half Man Half Biscuit enthusiast…

7 hours ago, polybear said:

Who??  This Bear has never heard of them.😉

I’m surprised, HMHB used to tour (in their early days) with another popular beat combo: Half Bear Half LDC

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 12

3 hours ago, zarniwhoop said:

Nothing to do with Billy F. Gibbons as far as I know.

I wonder how many will catch that reference, Zed?

I have no idea what BFG’s 59 Gibson Les Paul is worth (I imagine that it’s up there with David Gilmour’s “Black Strat” or Clapton’s “Blackie”).

But even without a famous guitar player association, a pristine 59 Gibson Les Paul can go for some really serious money (think the price of a good sized suburban house).

Gibson only made about 643 Les Paul Standards (i,e. LPs with the sunburst finish) and nearly all of them are accounted for. Which means that that dusty Gibson guitar case in Grandad’s/Dad’s/Uncle’s loft/attic/shed could well hide a treasure (both musically and literally).

Mind you, the 59 Gibson Les Paul is so sought after, that there are a number of counterfeit 59 LPs around (the best of which, I am led to believe, are real Gibson Les Pauls that have been [ahem] “backdated”)

Edited by iL Dottore
Spelling
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

Thanks for both the money saving tip and the offer of acting as a Beary Poste-Restante - I shall cogitate upon it.

I do have a small request: could you post the link to the appropriate Amazon page? My search of Amazon just turns up the usual PRC made poor-quality imitation knock-off rubbish. Ta muchly.

As if by magic......

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Build-Precision-Mechanical-Solar-System/dp/B09NQ51NYC/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

The same seller is also on Ebay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/134427458727?epid=2329540368&hash=item1f4c803ca7%3Ag%3AwDwAAOSwaoZhuHya&shqty=1&isGTR=1#shId

It's encouraging to see that they list many, many spare parts on the 'bay as well; they also post to Switzerland (though it costs £28 to do so).

I've no idea of any Tax implications when bringing items into the Switzerland so that's also something to be aware of.

The reviews on Amazon include some useful building tips as well, which is worth knowing.

Sadly the AST100 discount code doesn't work with Amazon or Ebay - you have to order direct from the supplier to get that.

HTH

Bear here.......

Today sees Bear *Hopefully* starting the priming of the stair stringers, after first hoovering/de-dusting/wiping with tack cloth/applying masking tape to them.  However, the Beary paw & lower back were a real b1tch (technical medical term) when I woke at 05-15 this morning (they ease off once I get moving and with the application of some relevant sweeties though- no attempt to stay put in the Beary Pit was attempted (partly cos' a No. 1 was imminent) so it was up at silly o'clock.  As a consequence I'm now somewhat "ahead of the curve".

I may even spoil myself and head for a Jumbo Sossie in a Roll + Chips from the Chippie later - I've not been there for quite some weeks now,

Bear gone.

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Thanks for the links @polybear. although I do notice that on Amazon it is “currently unavailable“ and “We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock

Amazon is pushing alternatives such this (https://www.amazon.co.uk/HUAN-Collection-Handcrafted-Remarkable-Mechanical/dp/B0B38VKQ4C/ref=sr_1_20?crid=3IHAQ9ZYL21NK&keywords=Orrery+kit&qid=1676706334&sprefix=orrery+kit%2Caps%2C100&sr=8-20) at £520 - A good £220 more expensive than the original,  And what’s more, not a single review is available for it. I may have a little discretionary cash to play with, but I’ll be damned if I’ll waste my money in such a risky way (God knows if what would turn up would bear even any vague resemblance to the photographs).

Has anyone noticed that all the good quality items and those items that have been flagged as “recommended“ or “best buys“ by consumer organisations and magazines are never available on Amazon* Plenty of Chinese built rubbish, but the quality items nearly always come with the tag “currently unavailable“. If one were to be a little bit cynical, one could easily come to the conclusion that the big Chinese manufacturers (and despite the myriad of bizarre names [Ghezte, Huan, etc]that crop up on Amazon, the merchandise all seems to come from the same few factories) are paying Amazon large sums of money to put their cheap and crappy wares at the forefront of every Amazon page and search.

(and yes, that IS a rant).

* although such items are frequently, if not always, available from non-Amazon sources, albeit at a higher price than on Amazon

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 1
  • Agree 6
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, BR traction instructor said:

Mornin’,

A potential deterrent 😀

BeRTIe

57CDDBE4-19ED-4EA0-AC20-B3E16041FEED.jpeg

Interesting boat  behind, it appears to be a Dutch 505, H was the old Dutch country identification letter, ( now NED), Whitstable Yacht club, founded 1904, appears to be very successful, with a large dinghy fleet. Though their fees are over double my clubs.

Mooring Awl ,

4.5 hours sleep plus 2.5 hours sleep, a good total for me.

Ben the I'm comfortable in my pit Collie, didn't move until I was ready to patrol.

Blue welkin, the wind has returned, not as strong as yesterday, but still stronger than I'd like for outside boat work.

Rubbish collection was required. Various bits and pieces had blown around the garden. 

Plans for today,

Antifoul rudder and keel,

More work on the picture frame 

Start fitting jammers to centre console,

Maybe do the seat extra supports, if it's not too windy to pull back the cover.

But first, 

Time for breaky.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A bit of a late riser this morning, last night the bladder thought it was on overtime and kept waking me up. My own fault really as I broke the no drinks after nine rule. Just as well I have nothing planned for today except for some shopping. I was intending to go to the Tonbridge show but the heavy cold which I'm only just recovering from put paid to that.

• Friendly/supportive 19

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

@PupCam  Is a chug like a bimble or is it something else?  Just curious.  🤔

It sort of describes the sound that my old bikes made when a head gasket failed but I am sure that wouldn’t happen on the Pupcycles. 

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Bear here.....

Stair stringers hoovered, wiped with tack cloth and adjacent areas (= stairs and walls) masked off ready for painting.

Bear is now on Chapter 3 of @iL Dottore's Benzo Book.  Very weird - climbing ladders today is most definitely off the agenda.  Altitude?  Oh yes....Bear had a very interesting chat with a Balloon that was on it's hols a little while ago; apparently Bertie Balloon had been to see Aldermaston, Porton Down and Faslane - and was now off to see "some Big Golf Balls".....

Not quite what Bear would call a holiday but Bertie seemed happy enough.....

Bear gone.

• Like 4
  • Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 2

31 minutes ago, polybear said:

Altitude?  Oh yes....Bear had a very interesting chat with a Balloon that was on it's hols a little while ago; apparently Bertie Balloon had been to see Aldermaston, Porton Down and Faslane - and was now off to see "some Big Golf Balls".....

Not quite what Bear would call a holiday but Bertie seemed happy enough.....

Let's hope Bertie Balloon doesn't get shot down by some trigger-happy Americans who shoot first and ask questions later.

• Like 1
  • Agree 7
  • Funny 4

1 hour ago, polybear said:

Oh yes....Bear had a very interesting chat with a Balloon that was on it's hols a little while ago; apparently Bertie Balloon had been to see Aldermaston, Porton Down and Faslane - and was now off to see "some Big Golf Balls".....

Talking of big golf balls, when did Fylingdales become a toast rack?

• Funny 6

• RMweb Gold

Went to Sainsbury's and I was a very naughty boy* 'cos I bought a couple of jam doughnuts.

Spent some time in The Shed playing with toys then came back to the house and made some leek and potato soup for lunch.  Very nice it was too though I say it myself and there's enough left for another day.

Now just waiting for the rugby programme to start and later on (about half time)  I can enjoy my doughnut with a muggatea.

* The Boss said so, mind you she's going to have one too!

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, grandadbob said:

@PupCam  Is a chug like a bimble or is it something else?  Just curious.  🤔

A Chug is a "Bimble with purpose"  conversely a Bimble is a "Purposeless chug".

Of course, a Full English can be consumed as part of a Bimble or a Chug 😂

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon awl,

A few more pictures from the 'archives'. Wales again but south of the Dovey. 

Firstly, Cowslip. My neighbour's dog, shown here looking somewhat ruffled by the wind. 'Slippy' was an interesting character, smart and curious. Rather fickle though, she'd often abandon a regular resident's tummy tickle to go and beg for a fuss from a visitor. We never caught her getting a payoff (of biscuits?) from the local tourist board despite being an attraction in her own right... 

Cowslip.jpg.b60b4e82c8b20d7d9663b885d27e4f71.jpg

Aberystwyth is not unlike Scarborough in the way it has a 'North Bay' and 'South Bay'. Though on a smaller scale. Aber's north bay ends by Constitution Hill (Craig Glais), which has a cliff railway and a camera obscura. The frame below is from the late 90s, near the top of the hill, on the coast path looking southwards. The Old College (of the university) is behind the pier, with the castle ruins to the right. The station is in shot (centre left) but not easily located. 

1354887771_Aberseafront.jpg.9020ec567f7d2d1b32147fc693208fd3.jpg

Over the top of the hill, around two miles northwards is Clarach Bay, with five holiday parks. It was one of those places with a winter population you could count on your fingers and a summer population numbered in the hundreds or thousands. The coast path continues north to Borth, several miles further north (out of shot far right, hidden by the hillside) along the edge of the cliff. The coast half-hidden by the murk is that north of the Dovey, Tywyn will be in shot but it's not a good enough frame for me to say exactly where. 

1396945511_Clarachfront.jpg.648166a655a32d95a27308c7f9571036.jpg

One feature which breaks the Clarach-Borth cliff stretch up is Sarn Gynfelin, a shingle spit stretching into Cardigan Bay. Legend has it that this is one of the causeways to or dykes of Cantref Gwaleod, the 'lost land' submerged beneath the waves one dark night, possibly due to the sloth of the watchman. Geologists say it is a glacial moraine. Pictured at Low Water, it's an exception to the sailors' rule that cliffs mean deep water close to shore. 

Sarn_R.jpg.39031619f64d70e395e653cc320f3e16.jpg

Borth is low-lying and partially sandy, especially towards Ynyslas, opposite Aberdyfi/Aberdovey. The Dovey has two common interpretations put on it's name, either 'deep, dark [river]' or 'calm, pleasant [river]'. These days, the latter is much more appropriate but that's after 3000 or so years of the UK land mass tilting eastwards. Personally I suspect the former interpretation is more likely. It was an important river in earlier times, with significant trade in and out, especially when Machynlleth a few miles to the east was Wales' de facto capital. Though that was 600 or so years ago... 

I've mentioned Cyffordd Dyfi / Dovey Junction / Glandovey Junction before - built as an interchange station, mainly for joining/splitting the two parts of the Cambrian Coast Express in steam days - and with difficult public access. I have spent a few pleasant and very tranquil hours there, bird-watching and generally 'getting away from it'. Below was from one of those times, with a 150 DMU from Pwllheli crossing the bridge and approaching the station at 08.41 on 25th June 1998. Taken from the platform, the line curves round into the station. The cottage was the bridge keeper's; I'm not sure who owns it now. 

400613220_DoveyJunction25-06-1998-08_41.jpg.2f15da9999bd33ebb1410a66188f164e.jpg

• Like 16