The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

4 hours ago, polybear said:

Heinz Jars in particular can be real b'sterds

This is where the thump on the rump of the jar really helps. You have to hold the jar in midair with the other hand. It wouldn't work trying to thump the jar on the countertop.

You can hear the lid pop as the contents slosh against the lid. The lid is still on but it dishes up instead being pulled down by the vacuum in the jar.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 7

13 hours ago, The White Rabbit said:

Afternoon awl,

Changing the subject a little, there's been a debate on another thread I follow about horseshoes. Triggered by a heraldic question, things moved on to whether they should be attached to buildings as amulets in the 'legs up' or 'legs down' position. We seem to have a majority in favour of 'legs up' but with a significant minority believing in a 'legs down' option. I wondered what ERs thought?

For the avoidance or arguments I weld three horseshoes together at their ends to make something that resembles the club symbol on playing cards.

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

7 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Well worth the investment. I don't normally need such things but I do have a selection. I do have a couple of pairs of plier-type devices but my favourite is a 'sticky' open-weave synthetic mesh fabric. It works really well.

(I bought mine at a supermarket, but ones similar to this.)

Not something I would do with wine, but jars (like sauce, salsa, etc) respond well to a rap to their bottom with the heel of the palm while holding them securely in the other hand. The resulting pressure wave inside the jar helps loosen the vacuum seal.

I use one of those strap wrench thingies sold at Harbor Freight. Somebody must sell them in the UK.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

19 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Those are quite effective.

I'm assuming something like this?

Yes, that's the thing. Harbor Freight sells a pair (large and small) for six bucks. My ability to grip is nothing like it used to be so I use them quite often. They substantially increase leverage too.

• Like 13
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, polybear said:

Snap - legs up.

Bear here......

Well the Doc reckons that Bear has snuffed the "Trapezius Muscle".  Turdycurses.  Pills prescribed, with no threat of The Big O mentioned as yet.  Now let's see if Doc knows his stuff......

Bear gone.

What, no physiotherapy?

Throwing “little pink pills“ at the injury in varying strengths only addresses the symptoms, not the cause. Depending on how “bu99ered up“ (medical term) the muscle is, rest and analgesia may be sufficient, but frequently a course of physiotherapy is needed to help things on their way.

I recently damaged my left shoulder and my GP sent me off for physiotherapy with instructions to take analgesia “as and when needed“ for the pain. We speculated whether or not the injury was a rotator cuff tear or something similar – but as the treatment would have been the same regardless of the underlying injury, we decided against having a CT scan done.

But, beware Bear! Physiotherapy is bloody painful – even though the end result (after a number of sessions) is one of relief and recovery. Interestingly, shoulder injuries are particularly problematic to treat - In some cases, according to my physiotherapist, some physiotherapy of the shoulder can only be done under anaesthesia. This is all down to how the shoulder joint is able to rotate, flex and extend.

This may be of interest: https://www.physio-pedia.com/Trapezius

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 17

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear has just discovered that the above link is £6.48 - but if you selected the blue colour from the same link it's £4.99 - and you don't need Prime for that one.

• Like 12
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, AndyID said:

I use one of those strap wrench thingies sold at Harbor Freight. Somebody must sell them in the UK.

6 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Those are quite effective.

Or a strapping wench. But often it's enough to release the pressure by lifting part of the rim just a little - there's a tool for this too - the lid remains perfectly useable.

29 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Three or four very drunk young women were trying (not very successfully) to keep each other upright.

They were so far gone one couldn't tell how many...

• Like 4
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Thankfully the overnight rain has ceased, so after collecting Ava a walk in the woodland area of RHS Bridgewater is definitely on the cards. After that, we’ll head to the cafe and have a drink and a slice. Then it’s back home for dinner. Charlie’s calling round after dinner and he and I will then head for the workshop, which will leave Sheila and Ava to themselves, I suspect they’ll watch a film this afternoon. 

Tonight we’ll open a bottle of wine and toast Sheila’s birthday. 

Back later 

Brian

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

I suspect I have a chain and/or strap wrench out in the garage. Probably for undoing Volvo oil filters. I don’t do that sort of thing anymore though I suspect it wouldn’t be difficult on the Fiesta, the engine in that looks like an engine. The Evoque oil filter needs a special tool. It isn’t expensive and is easily available as Toyotas use the same type of oil filter. I have no intention of doing it myself though. 

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1