The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

1 hour ago, TheQ said:

I see great Yarmouth has been testing the big bang theory, the residents will be glad to go home , those nearby have been excluded for 4 days.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-64604115

In view of the discussion of imperial and metric measurements going on earlier in another topic, this from the BBC report is notable:

“The device - about 1m (3.2ft) long and weighing about 250kg (39st 5lbs) …”

Edited by pH
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, pH said:

In view of the discussion of imperial and metric measurements going on earlier in another topic, this from the BBC report is notable:

“The device - about 1m (3.2ft) long and weighing about 250kg (39st 5lbs) …”

Obviously written by someone who has never used Imp measures and has no feel for history.

If its "about" a metre long you'd either say "just over" a yard or 3 ft and be near enough.

As for the weight, a German bomb would be weighed in kilos, 250kg was a standard size, and would be regarded as similar to a 500lb bomb* as dropped by the RAF on the Germans at the same time.  No one referred to bomb weight in stones, or hundredweights** either for that matter!

* The bomb disposal squad would have reported on defusing a 500lb uxb...

** 250 kilos is nearly 5 cwt !

Edited by Hroth
another illustration
  • Like 1
  • Agree 16
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, jjb1970 said:

I feel the same about the return of John Cleese to Basil Fawlty. Fawlty Towers was perfect, the writing was outstanding, the performances stellar and the whole was more than the sum of it's parts. It is a genuine classic of TV and comedy which has rarely been equalled and never surpassed in my opinion. I shudder to think what a new show will do to its legacy. It might not matter but I find once artists revisit past glories the originals are never looked at in quite the same way again.

I rather suspect he needs the money and another reason why we probably should be concerned about any new series.

He spent last year travelling the world on a 'comedy' tour.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Obviously written by someone who has never used Imp measures and has no feel for history.

Rather, written by someone who lacks an understanding of the nature of approximate measures. Should have take lessons from the person who was responsible for the braking distance chart:

9986446_orig.png

Note how the "average car length" has been chosen such that the value given in metres and the value given in feet differ by only 1%. I would have been tempted to round 118 feet to 120 feet, myself, though it might make all the difference to an elderly nun (cf the rounding to 40 feet at 20 mph).

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

After another two chains please to be turning left.

In the discussion on the other thread, reference was made to the allegedly sacrosanct length of a cricket pitch. It is my understanding that in Australia and New Zealand, and maybe elsewhere, the local rules give the length as 20 m. The difference is 4.6 in (with apologies to Gwiwer). Which makes the greater difference to a visiting English team? The difference in length of pitch or the difference in length of over. (They could have gone the whole hog and gone for 10-ball overs, which would greatly simplify the calculation of run rate.)

• Like 15
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

in Australia and New Zealand, and maybe elsewhere, the local rules give the length as 20 m. The difference is 4.6 in (with apologies to Gwiwer). Which makes the greater difference to a visiting English team?

No wonder the Poms do so badly out there.  Having to pitch and bowl for the extra four-and-a-half-and-a-bit inches would make all the difference.  In some cases it's the difference between run out and not out.  

Where's @Barry O Baz when you need him? 

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

got back into the car, then dad realising that at some point he must have accidently hurled the car keys that had been in his hand.. I learned new words!

The old , throw the wrong thing trick .

Edited by Sidecar Racer
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, DaveF said:

must set the finish bleeps louder

It is the frequency that causes me problems. Aditi thinks I am messing about when I say I can’t hear the washing machine or oven beeps. Her frequency range doesn’t seem to have been affected by age. 

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

3 hours ago, PupCam said:

Morning All!

Nooooooooooooooo!!!!!

"If it ain't broke don't fix it"  - and it certainly isn't broke!

Is he running short of cash I wonder?  There must be a reason ....

Somehow, I don’t think Roger Waters is running out of cash any time soon – is estimated to be worth about £256 million. Think ego writ large…

3 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

I feel the same about the return of John Cleese to Basil Fawlty. Fawlty Towers was perfect, the writing was outstanding, the performances stellar and the whole was more than the sum of it's parts. It is a genuine classic of TV and comedy which has rarely been equalled and never surpassed in my opinion. I shudder to think what a new show will do to its legacy. It might not matter but I find once artists revisit past glories the originals are never looked at in quite the same way again.

I don’t think John Cleese is short of a few bob, either. His net worth is estimated at about £18 million.

I suspect that he is reinventing Fawlty Towers because of his frustration with the current media and social orthodoxy that promotes tolerance, open mindedness and understanding, but is anything else but that.

As Dr David Starkey put it: the new orthodoxy is as intolerant, narrowminded and puritanical, if not more so, as that which it purports to replace. Stephen Fry, hardly your typical froth-at–the-mouth extremist made a very trenchant observation about this, which - to avoid “politics” - I post as a link: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/stephen-fry-political-correctness-1.4662626

• Like 7
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

John Cleese has 3 ex wives and a current one, they've had much more of his money than he has.. he's probably getting ready to loose some more..

• Like 7
  • Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

The new Fawlty is apparently about aged Basil’s difficulty interacting with the modern world, so Mr Cleese shouldn’t have too much preparation for the role. 

45 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

frustration with the current media and social orthodoxy that promotes tolerance, open mindedness and understanding, but is anything else but that.

True. There are a lot of conservative (small c) contrarians in the press trying to undo any progress made over the last 50 years to make the world nicer. 
This country isn’t really like the comment section of certain tabloid newspapers that criticise anyone showing any goodness. If a footballer speaks up about prejudice or hungry children, you can guarantee there will be a story about how much he paid for his Mum’s house. 

57 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

David Starkey put it:

I prefer Lucy Worsley’s programmes. 

Tony

• Like 13
  • Agree 2

9 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

True. There are a lot of conservative (small c) contrarians in the press trying to undo any progress made over the last 50 years to make the world nicer.

But this is true across the entire political spectrum - the further you get from the centre, the more intolerant people seem to be.

Dr Lucy Worsley is pleasant enough (my dog Lucy is named after her), but a bit lightweight compared with Dr David Starkey or (especially) Prof Dame Mary Beard

• Like 4
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

But this is true across the entire political spectrum - the further you get from the centre, the more intolerant people seem to be.

Dr Lucy Worsley is pleasant enough (my dog Lucy is named after her), but a bit lightweight compared with Dr David Starkey or (especially) Prof Dame Mary Beard

One extreme seems to find offence in use of what may or may not be historical racial or social insults. The other extreme seems to find the concept of women taking control of their own bodies offensive. Oddly enough nowadays people with anti scientific views about all sorts of things (vaccines for instance ) seem to be able to attach themselves to both extremes of the spectrum. 

• Like 9
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2