The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

To us that are not of an engineering background, is that the same as being ‘Araldited’?

It's a clever solder for joining Aluminium using a blowlamp.

11 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

Hovis really upset us with her behaviour whilst out so think it’s time to get some professional help.

Not exhibiting Great Western tendencies I hope? 

(Seriously though - Bear hopes that Doggie is ok).

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 minutes ago, polybear said:

At current exchange rates:

One Deltic = £170GBP

A Noisy Deltic = £260 GBP

Lesser Deltics may have different exchange rates.......either more or less.....

Bear can do that........

Bear here.......

A trip into Beamland was avoided - I discovered a suitably long M6 Roofing Bolt that'll be ideal; I have a Toolmakers Clamp with a Screw that's Fu'barred and the Bolt will make a good starter for ten to make up a suitable replacement.  Tick

Then it was remove the mechanism off the KKKK (that's Kitchen Kitty Kat Klock) followed by a good search of the 'bay to identify a suitable replacement battery powered pendulum mechanism; the actual clock mechanism is a separate item and works ok so that'll be re-used.  In the end I did order one, but from the Big River instead cos' they can deliver a bit quicker - meanwhile Kitty is headless and the whole lot is laying in bits in the muddlin' toom.

Tomorrow sees the Plasterer coming to, er, plaster the boxed-in pipework in the hallway.  Hopefully.

Bear gone.

Just be aware Bear that some of us are not so 'robust' of constitution as yourself, s

so please give us plenty of warning prior to posting of any photographic evidence of your doings at the college toolshop.

Signed a concerned well wisher.

• Funny 9

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. The eczema has calmed down quite a bit but the sciatica is still there. I laid stretched out on the bed for an hour and a half, that eased it a little, hopefully a good nights rest will ease it further. Now to catch up with the rest of RMweb. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Just came back from the shops where I saw these for you.

image.png.172a37a750cba265a6863ba095744443.png

If things are quite when I pop in tomorrow, I might mention them.  With a foot note that should such abominations appear, my custom may go elsewhere.

Adrian

• Like 4
  • Funny 7

6 hours ago, The Lurker said:

Never had a pork and marmite sausage although I can imagine they would be rather good. At the moment I am partial to chilli marmite with peanut butter on toast for breakfast.

When it comes to sausages 😋…I collect a dozen pork & mustard ones and a dozen tomato & pork from Harrisons butchers in Wigton, a large pack of The Peppery one sausages from Sainsbugs, divide/mix them up into portions (enough for two of us) for freezing and use the portions once or twice a week. A wonderful combination of flavours 😋

BeRTIe

• Like 17
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

9 hours ago, BSW01 said:

Good evening everyone 

Once again, Sheila decided to join me on my visit to the Trafford Centre, but we didn’t spend anywhere near as much as we spent last week! It was fairly quiet, although there was a lot of young folk walking about staring into their phones instead of where they’re going! 

The afternoon was spent on the sofa reading and surfing t’internet, no purchases were made!

This e, to mark international holocaust day, we watched the film called ‘Denial’ about the libel case Lipstadt v Irving, which was definitely well worth watching, I can highly recommend it. 

I watched an excellent ‘How it began’ holocaust documentary recently about a team seeking to discover and explain as many holocaust victims as possible, they were working in Latvia & Lithuania at the time. The sheer lengths that they went to to explain what happened to the individuals/families made compelling viewing. The thing that shocked me most was the alleged level of complicity of neighbours/fellow countrymen in the vile acts that were part of the ethnic cleansing.

Programmes like this have to be shown…lest we forget!!

BeRTIe

9D752137-21C5-4CED-93BF-B83BAA6D6F6E.jpeg

Edited by BR traction instructor
  • Like 2
  • Agree 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

I've grown fond of cheese frankfurters, it seems to be an American thing which has been adopted in much of Asia, frankfurter sausages with bits of cheese inside. And arabiki sausages are excellent, arabiki is essentially a Japanese frankfurter but the meat is coarser (but nothing like as coarse as British sausage), they're often smokier too. Well worth trying.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, BR traction instructor said:

I watched an excellent holocaust documentary recently about a team seeking to discover and explain as many holocaust victims as possible, they were working in Latvia & Lithuania at the time. The sheer lengths that they went to to explain what happened to the individuals/families made compelling viewing. The thing that shocked me most was the alleged level of complicity of neighbours/fellow countrymen in the vile acts that were part of the ethnic cleansing.

Programmes like this have to be shown…lest we forget.

BeRTIe

For anyone interested in that dreadful period (and I think everyone should have an awareness of what happened) I'd recommend Raul Hilberg's seminal work 'The Destruction of the European Jews'. It's a heavyweight tome in three volumes, but very readable, and is all the more powerful in my view for maintaining a dispassionate style. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Re the Australian lost radioactive source…why hasn’t someone driven the route with a geigercounter in order to locate/recover said item…if it is that potent? I’d be keeping one eye on an attempt to supply such lethal stuff for nefarious purposes, if it can’t be found.

BeRTIe

Edited by BR traction instructor
  • Like 8
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Good moaning from a place that is still 160 km from an Ikea, thank goodness. 

I moved 6800 miles and am still near Ikea🤪

Initially I thought I'd discovered a hole in the space - time continuum as I walked through a door, on one side was Singapore and on the other was Milton Keynes, it was both exciting and frightening. Clearly the possibilities to revolutionize long distance travelling were quite mind boggling, but could this rip in the fabric of the universe foretell the end of everything? I still dispute the suggestion that maybe Ikea stores all look the same wherever they are in the world, a suspiciously simple explanation clearly designed to stop people asking questions.

• Like 6
  • Funny 11