The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

43 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Ride of the valkeries was used on one film about tanks..

Baz

Mmmmmmm I trust that it wasn’t used in a film about tanks in the following paint scheme……as that might just probably be viewed as a tad insensitive in some camps…..🧐 as apparently it was sadly a favourite of Mr A Hilter…although some may prefer to remember it’s use in Apocalypse Now with the ‘Air Cavalry’…

894F72E9-CE34-4D7D-9CAB-C3D7C9A1F49E.jpeg.21cc6bb5c5a3b3be5d23558a20bf2b18.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, The White Rabbit said:

Though if my country had been invaded as many times as Russia had, I'd probably be worried about actual and potential threats too.

I can think off-hand of three times but maybe I'm missing some:

1. By Poland-Lithuania, in 1610-12
  2. By Napoleon, in 1812-13
  3. By Nazi Germany, in 1941-44

On the other hand, I've rapidly run out of fingers on which to count the times Russia has invaded other countries. 

• Like 6
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I can think off-hand of three times but maybe I'm missing some:

1. By Poland-Lithuania, in 1610-12
  2. By Napoleon, in 1812-13
  3. By Nazi Germany, in 1941-44

On the other hand, I've rapidly run out of fingers on which to count the times Russia has invaded other countries. 

I certainly do not claim any moral high ground for them. My post was intended to comment on why some Russians feel the way they do on geo-political matters. And, yes, I thoroughly accept that may lead to certain people and factions exploiting that for personal political and economic advantage. But on the being invaded side and without getting into the rights and wrongs of the situation, off-hand (and as a result, my dates might be a bit out), I'd mention/add:

In the 13th century:

The Swedes 

Teutonic Knights?/[Eastern European] Crusaders around the same time - including that battle on an ice-covered lake

Mongols/Tartars (ongoing for about 200-300 years, IIRC) 

16th century - Crimean Tartars

19th century - Crimean War

20th century:

Poland in 1919-21

Western intervention 1919-1923(ish) in support of the 'Whites' following the revolution. 

Japanese forces c1931-1941

I've not mentioned the first millennium AD as my dates are too hazy for me to want to mention and there's considerable scope to debate when Russia became Russia - but the Huns and Khazars caused much 'distress' on multiple occasions. 

The above is just from memory, I am sure I've missed some, if not plenty. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 11

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, The White Rabbit said:

I'd mention/add:

Fair enough, but for balance you should list the occasions on which Russia has invaded its neighbours, from Poland in the west to Japan in the east. As I recall, when Peter the Great founded St Petersburg, the location was Swedish territory.

As to the Crimean and Polish-Russian wars, they were both fought on what is now Ukrainian territory.

(And in the latter case, Belarus and Lithuania.)

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

37 minutes ago, The White Rabbit said:

I certainly do not claim any moral high ground for them. My post was intended to comment on why some Russians feel the way they do on geo-political matters. And, yes, I thoroughly accept that may lead to certain people and factions exploiting that for personal political and economic advantage. But on the being invaded side and without getting into the rights and wrongs of the situation, off-hand (and as a result, my dates might be a bit out), I'd mention/add:

In the 13th century:

The Swedes 

Teutonic Knights?/[Eastern European] Crusaders around the same time - including that battle on an ice-covered lake

Mongols/Tartars (ongoing for about 200-300 years, IIRC) 

16th century - Crimean Tartars

19th century - Crimean War

20th century:

Poland in 1919-21

Western intervention 1919-1923(ish) in support of the 'Whites' following the revolution. 

Japanese forces c1931-1941

I've not mentioned the first millennium AD as my dates are too hazy for me to want to mention and there's considerable scope to debate when Russia became Russia - but the Huns and Khazars caused much 'distress' on multiple occasions. 

The above is just from memory, I am sure I've missed some, if not plenty. 

I don't think you could go back to the first century AD because the Rus as a people grew out of an admixture of the slavs and the vikings in the 9th or 10th centuries. The kingdom was initially centred on Kyiv/Kiev, with Moscow coming to the fore in IIRC the 11th or 12th centuries, in time to suffer at the hands of the Mongols. Once Russia expanded into the steppes, it was always open to invasion of sort because the steppes were the highway of the nomadic tribes that occasionally expanded westwards or eastwards or southwards (at different times).

wikipedia has a list of wars Russia has been involved in and the list starts in the 830s with a Rus expedition vs Byzantium

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

I always think going back into history is a bit pointless in terms of the blame game or looking for justifications for contemporary actions.

Quite aside from historical events being just that, with contemporary events being determined by political leaders, the unfortunate reality is that there aren't that many mature nations with no skeletons in the cupboard and most countries have acted like complete you know what's in the past.

History can help explain social attitudes and long standing enmity but ultimately wars happen because of deliberate decision making by politicians.

One of the most enduring myths of history is that Europe just drifted into WW1 as a result of forces outside human control. Self serving politicians like David Lloyd George were very successful with their self-exculpatory memoirs and stories, and scape goating generals for the carnage.  

• Like 9
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

It’s interesting to contemplate how geography determines national character, society and civic behaviour.

Take for example Switzerland and Japan, which although ostensibly on the surface are very, very different, they share a considerable number of similarities: they are both surrounded by a hostile environment (although in Switzerland’s case that hostile environment was political rather than a geographic), both countries are highly regulated, prize conformity, expect everyone in that society to do their job properly and to a high standard, both make a virtue out of the necessity of eking out the absolutely last erg of value/utility from their limited and minimal natural resources, both value education and promote strict civic responsibility And both Switzerland and Japan were quite poor countries until after the second world war, when a combination of education, social cohesion and having high standards in doing whatever they made/produced resulted in both countries becoming very wealthy.

And returning to Russia for a moment: with its history and given that there is not much in the way of natural obstacles between Berlin and the Urals, one can understand why the Russians might get a bit twitchy when former members of The Soviet bloc (and former buffer states between Russia and Europe) start cozying up to NATO and Western Europe.

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

• RMweb Premium

"Nothing says “Happy Weekend” like the cat leaving welcome-home berries just inside the front door! "

I was doing some decorating work on my then boss's town house, which was empty prior to being sold.  The subterranean garage at the rear had a sliding door that didn't always shut properly.  One morning I found that a cat had got in, gone upstairs and done its business on the front door mat....and all the mail.  Fortunately I noticed it as I opened the door so didn't tread in it, but it all had to be cleaned of the worst and bagged so it could be taken to his new house.

Edited by petethemole
  • Friendly/supportive 19

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

Nothing says “Happy Weekend” like the cat leaving welcome-home berries just inside the front door! 

Spotting it before you (a) step in it, and (b) tread it right thru' the house is often considered to be A Very Good Idea..........

Bear here.....

Toolboxes all sorted; the Postie then delivered the much-awaited 10-32 UNF screws needed to complete the M.E. Group Project - a small amount of fettling was required (enlarging the holes a smidgeon) but all is now well and it's been stashed ready for use.  Big Tick - and the morning gone.

Right, first a trip into Beamland to see if I've got any M6 studding stashed away, followed by looking for a new pendulum mechanism on the 'bay.

In other news......

Bear has been A Naughty Bear - involving the spending of exactly one Deltic's worth of tokens on something that's green with small yellow ends; it won't be delivered until Q1 2024 though, but that's OK.  This'll be from "Batch 2" - which apparently has been slightly modified/improved from Batch One.  That's a result.  Incidentally, buying direct from the manufacturer means no postage costs.  Another Tick.

And finally......

It seems that Memphis are to be releasing a Police Video later today.  Bear predicts trouble ahead.....

Bear gone.

• Like 11
  • Agree 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Thinking of the Khazars, who were mentioned earlier in connection with wars with Russia, I have recalled that the Khazars, almost uniquely, converted to Judaism. The Khagan got representatives from Islam, Christianity and Judaism to extol the virtues of their respective faiths. He then chose the one he liked best for him and his people. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Fair enough, but for balance you should list the occasions on which Russia has invaded its neighbours, from Poland in the west to Japan in the east. As I recall, when Peter the Great founded St Petersburg, the location was Swedish territory.

As to the Crimean and Polish-Russian wars, they were both fought on what is now Ukrainian territory.

(And in the latter case, Belarus and Lithuania.)

I was replying to your post, rather than presenting a legal defence or historical analysis of who's been most aggressive/'wicked'. Hence my 'disclaimer':

3 hours ago, The White Rabbit said:

I certainly do not claim any moral high ground for them. My post was intended to comment on why some Russians feel the way they do on geo-political matters. And, yes, I thoroughly accept that may lead to certain people and factions exploiting that for personal political and economic advantage. But on the being invaded side and without getting into the rights and wrongs of the situation, off-hand (and as a result, my dates might be a bit out), I'd mention/add: ...

As far as certain wars being fought on what is now disputed territory or other states' land, true, I won't argue about that but would like to point out that at the time in question, the land was claimed by Russia/the Soviets, de facto if not de jure. If we are going to get into the legalities and moralities of rebellions, civil war and multi-ethnic empires, then I fold - not because I doubt my reasoning but because I'm not prepared to get banned over debating something I can't change. Or being bogged down in participating in what is potentially an extremely complex historical debate when I have neither the time or energy for that. And any objective post on the history of armed conflict and state policy in that area would be an extremely lengthy one. I would not be surprised to hear it's been the subject of various PhDs. Should you wish to write one, as someone interested in history, I would be quite happy to consider your points. And I may well agree with them. But ... 

A) 

2 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

I always think going back into history is a bit pointless in terms of the blame game or looking for justifications for contemporary actions.

Quite aside from historical events being just that, with contemporary events being determined by political leaders, the unfortunate reality is that there aren't that many mature nations with no skeletons in the cupboard and most countries have acted like complete you know what's in the past.... 

(My italics) - I can usually tell when someone's worked with the media and in PR - that's a very 'juicy' quote - and devastatingly accurate! 

B)

2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

It’s interesting to contemplate how geography determines national character, society and civic behaviour....

... And returning to Russia for a moment: with its history and given that there is not much in the way of natural obstacles between Berlin and the Urals, one can understand why the Russians might get a bit twitchy when former members of The Soviet bloc (and former buffer states between Russia and Europe) start cozying up to NATO and Western Europe.

I'm not asking anyone to support Soviet/Russian state actions, just to understand why they might (either reasonably or unreasonably) fear certain things which they see as threats. And react accordingly. The English Channel/La Manche has always been something of a private moat for Britain against the tides of european events. Switzerland has the Alps. Japan also has a maritime 'buffer zone'. As Il D [almost] says, Russia has nothing ... For better or for worse, that's always going to affect a country's behaviour, both at an individual and state level.  

C)

The signature of another forum contributor was along the lines of 'the world may not be what we wish it to be but wishes won't change it'. Like it or not (and it probably won't surprise many to hear there's quite a bit I don't care for) we have to deal with things (and international relations) as they are rather than what we would like them to be. 

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Barry O said:

It's Mars the bringer of war

As composed by one Gustavus Theodore von Holst, not a German but English-born of a Swedish mother and English father despite his name; that more often being abbreviated to Gustav.  

The strident 5:4 metre of "Mars", one of the better-known pieces with that uncommon time signature - was composed in the most un-warlike  environment of a country house in the sleepy Essex village of Thaxted.  Not a million miles away from the equally tranquil "Constable Country" of The Haywain and similar scenes.  

One can only wonder what creative processes occur in those or any locations to leave such a contrasting, yet magnificent, legacy.

• Like 11
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

The strident 5:4 metre of "Mars", one of the better-known pieces with that uncommon time signature - was composed in the most un-warlike  environment of a country house in the sleepy Essex village of Thaxted.  Not a million miles away from the equally tranquil "Constable Country" of The Haywain and similar scenes.  

One can only wonder what creative processes occur in those or any locations to leave such a contrasting, yet magnificent, legacy.

At Christmas time I posted Herbert Howells' A Spotless Rose, composed to the accompaniment of the clashing of wagon buffers and squealing of brakes from the Midland sidings at Worcester, that his house overlooked.

So, it works both ways!

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 12