The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

So do people enjoy the TT bike racing......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3Ck0R1Ha_8

'You Tube does not allow embedding of that video'........or 'You Tube is spoiling our fun'

They are absolutely stark raving bonkers and that's just the spectators.  The riders are on another level altogether! 🤪

• Like 1
  • Agree 9
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

I fear you are taking my post too literally, Rick.

The perils of reading and replying online at unearthly hours of the morning. 

The body may be an Early Riser; the brain follows rather later 🤣

• Like 8
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

3 hours ago, grandadbob said:

Now waiting for a phone call from my doctor to discuss medication.  I requested a repeat prescription the other day and had a call from a new doctor at the practice querying it and wanting to change things so have now put in a call to my regular GP to discuss it further.

Mum had that. Our surgery had an in-house pharmacist who rang her up every couple of months to check on whether the drugs she'd been prescribed were :still working' i.e. save some money.

Pleasant enough lady. She worked from home so sometimes her offspring could be heard in the background.

Unfortunately Mum had some problems understanding her. It didn't help as well that Mum was hard of hearing. Once that was sorted they got on fine. It did help that Mum wasn't someone you could push around. God only knows what would have happened if she hadn't been.

• Friendly/supportive 19

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Winslow Boy said:

So I take it this won't be you and the rest of the 'support group' on Friday then Neil.

I have tottered around race circuits in the past, but not now. There are many folk older than me who still do, but I don't consider my reactions remotely fast enough at 63.9 to do so. Never mind my lack of ability to actually get back off the bl**dy bike....😆

• Friendly/supportive 16

1 minute ago, New Haven Neil said:

I have tottered around race circuits in the past, but not now. There are many folk older than me who still do, but I don't consider my reactions remotely fast enough at 63.9 to do so. Never mind my lack of ability to actually get back off the bl**dy bike....😆

Blue tack and six inch nails will sort that out.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 9

Following up on Neil's comments about surgery ratings mine comes out as good for the doctors and poor for the admin. Something that I'm sure a number of fellow contributors will  agree with.

The difficulty I think my surgery has is that it also covers the university. So as you can imagine it's almost like a split personality. With the university students being quite happy doing things on line, but the rest of us luddites wanting to actually see a human being. 

I think I've mentioned before how difficult it is to actually get through on the telephone to them, with them wanting you to go online instead. What I then can't get them to see is that if you do that, you then need to ensure that it is easy to use and more importantly that it works. You can't just say there's nothing that they can be done when it doesn't. Yes there is you get more people to answer the resultant increase in telephone calls.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Yes there is you get more people to answer the resultant increase in telephone calls.

The BiL GP who works in North London had a phone problem that there were no more phone lines available for them to add capacity. I think the combination of digital phone lines and a call handling service has helped somewhat. 

• Like 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

Just had a look at the last official review of our surgery, unfortunately it's 2019, things have definitely gone down hill since then in a major way.

Rudder sanded major hollow filled.

Centre console 1.5 sides glassfibred,

Doors sanded,

Ben walked, it's been misty all day, not as bad as dreich, but it's a very wet mist.

SWMBO went to her art club, on they way back she met the lady who arranged for us to have Ben, she's going to try to find us a companion for him.. another Collie of course.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium

Apologies I have only caught up on the most recent ER posts, in my evening forays back onto the Internet before turning in. I hope everyone is in tip top shape!

The boy made a comment today, it's the first time he's felt cold outside since he left England, that gave me a smile. Java is a beautiful island as once you get away from Jakarta and start going upwards the scenery is quite stunning.

I find Indonesian people very easy to like, there's a laid back and friendly culture here that I suspect could be infuriating in a professional context but which is very nice at a social level. And manners are important here, much more so than in Singapore. I think part of it may stem from the Islamic tradition, I don't want to go down the rabbit hole of religion but purely considering local customs I find hospitality and courtesy are considered very important in many Islamic countries and in the Arabian peninsula. The flip side is that I remember the riots of 1997 and read about the genocide following the famous year of living dangerously and remind myself that there is another side to that very kind and courteous tradition (again, true for much of the Middle East).

More time doing not a lot tomorrow, it's one of those holidays where the aim is to just have an easy time, relax, enjoy the scenery and catch up with family.

• Like 16
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

7 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

.... Just when I'm tucking into my chocolate flavoured rice crispys and marmite covered toast...

Marmite covered toast?

Marmite covered toast!???

That's put me right off doing the autopsy that has!

Edited by iL Dottore
Typo
  • Like 3
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Marmite covered toast?

To recover your appetite I recommend a hearty lunch of bitter sa-pie...... Speaking as a sinophile my advice is that if a Chinese person describes a dish as having 'mysterious flavours' then run.....

(for the uninitiated, bitter sa-pie is a type of sa-pie made with cow bile, I won't go further in case any of you are eating)

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

cow bile,

When I was I the sixth form we had to do a biochemistry module as part of our A level chemistry course. One of the experiments required drops of bile to be added to some other chemicals. One student managed when filling a pipette to get some in his mouth. It wasn’t a pleasant experience for him. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, pH said:

Yesterday I started to fill in an online survey on behalf of the provincial electricity company, designed to allow future demand to be estimated (and, I would be sure, to suggest ways in which users could be encouraged to reduce their use). It’s being run by an ‘outside’ polling company, not by the electricity company itself.

Pretty detailed e.g. numbers of large appliances, their age, fuels used for space and water heating etc. A lot of answers needed to be thought about, and some information needed to be retrieved from paper files. But it’s for a useful purpose, so that was done.

Then it came to lighting. It specified several different types of ‘lightbulb’ - incandescent, LED, fluorescent tubes etc. How many of each type in each type of room (e.g. bathroom, bedroom etc.) in the house? In the room I was in, there were   6 bulbs, of 2 different types, and by the definitions used in the survey there are at least 12 rooms in the house, of at least 5 different ‘types’, plus outside lights. I’m sorry, I’m not going to spend the time needed to do those counts and sums. I can’t skip the question and go on to complete the rest of the survey, so that will be a non-response from me. I’m sure I won’t be alone!

Cynical Bear suggests the "Polling Company" are getting paid oodles for doing nottalot, whilst the customers spend ages filling in stupid bluddy surveys for diddly squat.  I'd bin it too.

2 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Following up on Neil's comments about surgery ratings mine comes out as good for the doctors and poor for the admin. Something that I'm sure a number of fellow contributors will  agree with.

I think I've mentioned before how difficult it is to actually get through on the telephone to them, with them wanting you to go online instead. What I then can't get them to see is that if you do that, you then need to ensure that it is easy to use and more importantly that it works. You can't just say there's nothing that they can be done when it doesn't. Yes there is you get more people to answer the resultant increase in telephone calls.

A quick look shows that Bear's Quacks score "Good" across the board - and quite right too.  Apparently they have 13000 Patients, with 2 GP Partners + 6 Salaried GP's + 3 Nurses + 2 Pharmacists; I've no idea if this is the norm for a Practice or not though.

2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

The BiL GP who works in North London had a phone problem that there were no more phone lines available for them to add capacity. I think the combination of digital phone lines and a call handling service has helped somewhat. 

About the only thing I wish the Surgery did have was one of those phone systems that puts you in a queue and tells you where in the queue you are;  I just hate playing Bullsh1t Bingo at 8am and having to keep redialling over & over again until I get the ringing tone.

1 hour ago, 45156 said:

I rang on Monday, explained my problem (loss of balance and giddy, together with deafness - even I know that it is excessive earwax) and the receptionist said - "no need for a callback, you need to see somebody - come tomorrow at 11.30". 

Doctor Bear suggests that infection of the outer & inner lug'ole could also cause that.

(I did once phone for ear drops for the resurgence of an ear infection, only to be told I'd need to see the Quack first.  Turdycurses.  But after the Quack took a squint in the lug'ole he announced that I also had a slightly perforated ear drum, meaning drops would've been bad news.

1 hour ago, 45156 said:

Was seen at 11.32, diagnosed with earwax, and booked n for microsuction two weeks today

Bear's Buddy (see below) has problems with ear wax building up; it seems that the Quack no longer carries out or arranges for a dose of the suction pump on the NHS - so he has to pay (forty quid?) to a clinic to have it done privately.

Bear here......

First task of the day was to get the ears lowered, followed by a recce in the Co-op on the off-chance that the Freezer Special (= five items for six quid) was now more Bear-friendly - and it was.

So after buying two lots of Freezer Special + Sossie Rolls on discount (expire today) + 2 packs of Custard Creams the bill came to fourteen quid - yet the total savings was a tad under twenty quid.  Very Big Tick.  Those savings paid for the haircut + half the cost of the shopping.

Buddy from over the road visited this morning for several hours for some totally P.C. discussion 🤣; he also benefits from the Freezer Specials cos' he left with four boxes of Chicken Nuggets (two being from before Chrimbo) so he was a Happy Bear too.

Apart from that it's been a somewhat slow day - the delay in getting the plastering done has left me in a bit of a Flaky Groove; there's nottalot more I can do in the H/S/L until that's done.  So it's onto Plan 2......all I need to do is decide what Plan 2 actually is........

Bear gone.....

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Marmite covered toast?

If a certain Bear were to be marooned on a Desert Island my choice of food would be.......

LDC?  Nope

Pizza?  Nope

Mince Pies?  Nope

F/E?  Nope

Toast & Marmite?  Oh yes, without a doubt.  If I had a quid for every slice I'd scoffed......

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium

Our surgery (yes I've just looked it up!)

7500 patients and 4 doctors.

1 practice manager,

1 business manager,

1 office manager 

2 management assistants,

2 receptionists,

5 medical secretaries and one apprentice,

3 nurse practitioners,

2 nurses,

1 nurse assistant,

3 health care assistants.

1 dispenser manager,

1 senior dispenser,

3, dispensers,

3 dispenser clerks, 

1 dispenser apprentice,

1 delivery driver.

I wonder why it's difficult to see a doctor.....

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 14

24 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

One student managed when filling a pipette to get some in his mouth. It wasn’t a pleasant experience for him. 

That’s what pipette bulbs are designed to prevent! People have to use them, though.

• Like 5
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1