The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

up with Australian ads though. 

During last years England cricket tour of Pakistan we got the Pakistani sponsor messages. They were were “voiced” by the usual commentators so it was quite funny hearing David Gower promoting washing machines or tea.  

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 14

14 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Though that would make a change from the ubiquitous US pharmaceutical ads - (that seem to be one quarter spruiking the product and three quarters  listing the side effects...)

Yes, actors portraying the afflicted living their best lives with jaunty background music while the voiceover says "may cause death". Lately they're literally all colour-coordinated with the promotional colours in the marketing campaign.

Their highest broadcast concentration is during the early evening network news - presumably that's the 'dying demographic'.

• Informative/Useful 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

16 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

It feels like the telephone has been ringing all day. Three times a robocall from the pharmacy informed me (or tried to) that they filled a script.  I need to get them to turn that off. On balance it's far more annoying than useful.

The day started with a robocall from a credit card provider telling me to download their mobile app to view a denied charge. Nope.  Or call a telephone number, which I did. *Someone* charged my card at 1:30am local time when I was tucked in and headed off to the land of nod after watching tennis and a little late night television. The charge will be 'disputed'.

Lately I've only used that card (coincidentally) at the pharmacy (of the annoying robocalls). It hasn't been used for an online transaction since a cancelled hotel stay as the pandemic shut-down began. *Someone* used it to purchase an iPad many years ago. It's the only card I've had that needed replacement based on demonstrated fraudulent activity.

My landline phone hand  set (which rarely gets legitimately used these days, but its good to have as an emergency, though less so now  that its digital and so in power cuts I lose the router, but anyway....) was playing up.

A mate works for Telstra and offered me a freebie one of their own landline setups that customers have knocked back at install time because they have their own handsets etc. Anyways, I gave one a go.

As a piece of consumer designware its a bit of a fail, the buttons have a slight squishy cheap plastic feel and I don't like the oversized font on the keys, or the key layout BUT it has this thing called Call Guardian.

If a number thats not in my white list (made up of my contacts list and previously accepted calls)  calls me they get a response saying "Please state your name" before the phone rings at my end. The call will not progress to ringing me until they do. If they do say their name then it rings me and when I pick up the phone it  will say "You have a call from X" and I can decide whether to accept it (press 1)  or block it and put it in my blacklist (press 2).

If they dont say their name (which Robo callers wont, nor most scammers) the phone never even rings me. Result is zero robo calls since install  (I almost wrote Robbo call there, I have a workmate called Robbo who sometimes calls me at work , I'll have to think of THEM  as Robbo calls now...) and much reduced  begging calls from charities etc (which I can still block by pressing button 2  when the phone tells me who it is.)

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

34 degrees today

A friend reported that it was 35C locally today.  That's in Sunbury, Vic, Australia.  

I mentioned that it was 35F here which he thought was too cold to get out of bed for.

I suggested he tell me when it reached 35K and whether or not that might be a bit too parky!  

• Like 11
  • Funny 8

3 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

it has this thing called Call Guardian

Back when caller ID meant something* the local telephone provider offered a (extra fee) 'no soliciting' service where a recorded "this line does not accept soliciting calls, please state your name" message played before the telephone rang.  A colleague had this at home. The service is probably still offered.

* Now largely moot with the advent of VOIP

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 2

4 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear back......

Remember those wise words of @Winslow Boy (a.k.a. Jonah 🤣) earlier........

- well soon after a certain Bear 'umped the stuff from the muddlin' room into the Hallway/Stairs ready for collection by the Ebay purchaser I get a phone call......

The purchaser was to buy/collect an Estate car nearby earlier but it turned out not to be what he'd hoped, so that all went pear-shaped; this in turn screwed up collection of Bear's stuff.  Piggin' Turdycurses.

However, the good news is the buyer was making all the right noises (including offering to pay up front and collect in a week or two) so all is not lost after all; it could actually benefit Bear as well 😉 (know worri mean Puppers..... @PupCam).

In other news.....

It seems the Met have today held a Misconduct Hearing in order to sack a certain PC who is sure to be scoffin' Porridge (hopefully thru' a straw) for a very long time; the hearing included the Met. Assist. Commissioner and the Counsel for the Commissioner - no doubt there was also a full suite of Flunkies present also.

Is Bear missing something here??  Bearing in mind the scrote is gonna be banged up for rather a long time (TBD) then what's wrong with the HR Dept. simply sending a letter addressed to sick weirdo, telling him he's sacked and to F.O. forthwith.  A lot cheaper - and it'd mean those present could be actually doing something useful instead - like stopping such things from happening again ....

Yep, Rant.

Yes Bear that would what me and you plus the rest of ER's for that matter, would do, but the head honcho plus flunkies wouldn't then be seen would they.

Being seen to do things is more important than actually doing them now a days Bear.

• Like 10

... I’ve heard of a tribute band, and Tribute Ale, from Cornwall, but the university catering contractors at our away day today paid tribute to British Rail by providing crispy edged sandwiches. ...

https://johncolby.wordpress.com/2023/01/17/steeply-downwards-heading-lower-than-in-the-summer-but-china-economic-outlook-uncertain/

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

4 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

There is a 'green' cemetery

What constitutes a 'green' cemetery in the UK? Sustainable 'caskets'? (Like wicker or cardboard?)

It is now legal in Oregon for one's remains to be composted. The whole sustainable funerary market will likely grow quickly. (No pun intended.)

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

.........BUT it has this thing called Call Guardian.

If a number thats not in my white list (made up of my contacts list and previously accepted calls)  calls me they get a response saying "Please state your name" before the phone rings at my end. The call will not progress to ringing me until they do. If they do say their name then it rings me and when I pick up the phone it  will say "You have a call from X" and I can decide whether to accept it (press 1)  or block it and put it in my blacklist (press 2).

If they dont say their name (which Robo callers wont, nor most scammers) the phone never even rings me. Result is zero robo calls since install  (I almost wrote Robbo call there, I have a workmate called Robbo who sometimes calls me at work , I'll have to think of THEM  as Robbo calls now...) and much reduced  begging calls from charities etc (which I can still block by pressing button 2  when the phone tells me who it is.)

The same system is available in the UK.

Bear can block calls and add then to a blocked list (that's a handset function and nothing to do with the phone provider); the annoying thing is the phone still rings when a blocked caller phones though (the display shows BLOCKED) - I'd rather it stayed silent.

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Ozexpatriate said:

What constitutes a 'green' cemetery in the UK? Sustainable 'caskets'? (Like wicker or cardboard?)

It is now legal in Oregon for one's remains to be composted. The whole sustainable funerary market will likely grow quickly. (No pun intended.)

All I know about it is a signpost pointing down a country road. Usually it is the wicker or cardboard caskets that are used.

• Like 8
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

21 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

All I know about it is a signpost pointing down a country road. Usually it is the wicker or cardboard caskets that are used.

There's a waiting list here if you want to donate your body to the Body Farm.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-12/forensic-scientists-at-body-farm-overwhelmed-by-number-of-donors/8520058

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

Further to my earlier post. I now wish to know who I complain to about there being no snow.

I have a feeling that the inhabitants of Fraggle Rock have nicked it all for them selves. Oh NewHavenNeil give us our snow.

Edited by Winslow Boy
  • Funny 13

24 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Not always. It's usually in a non dominon landscaped area with trees, but  not always, used to indicate a burial spot. I had a relative who had a green burial and non religious service.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, polybear said:

The same system is available in the UK.

Bear can block calls and add then to a blocked list (that's a handset function and nothing to do with the phone provider); the annoying thing is the phone still rings when a blocked caller phones though (the display shows BLOCKED) - I'd rather it stayed silent.

Ah! That explains why I can never get through 🤣

I'm on a list at last!   Small acorns ....

• Funny 17

On 14/01/2023 at 05:55, Coombe Barton said:

The Kraken is a legendary gargantuan sea creature, said to have been seen off the coasts of Norway and Iceland ...

I saw this on the cover of a children’s book this morning:

19974A20-F4D2-4F98-8F37-59EE01603927.jpeg.1752c50f8438ac1f9e92266e554edda3.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Funny 14