The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

We had sleet in Sidcup, it was sitting on the bottom half of the car windscreen first thing but was being drizzled on and had disappeared by the time I took Younger Lurker to school at about 20 to 8.

It's still grey here and with a chilly wind but it has stopped raining.

Have a good day all

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 2

集中日本語コースを始めたばかりで、コツをつかみ始めていると思います

Shūchū nihongo kōsu o hajimeta bakari de, kotsu o tsukami hajimete iru to omoimasu
(In other words: “I've just started my intensive Japanese course and I reckon I'm starting to get the hang of it“)

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 5

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

集中日本語コースを始めたばかりで、コツをつかみ始めていると思います

Shūchū nihongo kōsu o hajimeta bakari de, kotsu o tsukami hajimete iru to omoimasu
(In other words: “I've just started my intensive Japanese course and I reckon I'm starting to get the hang of it“)

• Like 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold

Whenever I hear Max Boyce it just takes me back to what a typical South Essex school staffroom sounded like at break time when I started teaching in 1975. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Premium

Bear here....

Framing "ongoing" - the front and end frames are now done; a few more bits to add for the underside; din dins has stopped play for the moment.

All of a sudden a certain Bear has suffered an attack of those bluddy Digitrains adverts - even setting the browser security to Strict has failed to kill them, which is a new development.  Pah!

As for the adverts, they just make me feel like spending tokens with anyone but Digitrains....

I do believe that makes Rant No.3 today, and it's only din dins time.

• Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium

Some good news.....

After clearing the Browser history at least the MultiQuote function is now working again and I no longer have a little box in the bottom r/h corner of the screen saying "Quote 1 post".  Sorted.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Whenever I hear Max Boyce it just takes me back to what a typical South Essex school staffroom sounded like at break time when I started teaching in 1975. 

We had a Welshman as Head of Maths. With a fiery temper on board like no other I have ever encountered. 

He must have learned his craft at the University of Instilling-the-fear-of-God. 

His employment ended shortly after his temper resulted in one boy (the intended target) narrowly missing a thrown pair of dividers by means of a smart duck which meant the dividers then pinned the unlucky lad behind to his desk by piercing the web between thumb and index-finger. 

After which event we felt slightly more comfortable attending maths lessons with his replacement. Who was also an international rugby referee. 

An interesting school. Best days of my life? Not on your wotsit they weren’t. 

• Friendly/supportive 19

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, The White Rabbit said:

Re hot fillings, a certain pie shop in Skipton is known for their blisteringly hot freshly baked pork pies. Especially the gelatine, which is a very effective conductor. If you don't know, it could certainly burn your mouth. The first time I bought from them I actually made steam appear from the canal when a chunk went in! 

In my case, I bought one from probably the same estabishment (the one by the canal?) and didn't know it was hot, as most pork pies I'd eaten were served cold - I just stuck it in my pocket and the liqified jelly ran out and all over the lower part of my jacket.  Jacket was never the same again.

Afternoon All

Car in again - same fault again engine management light on - diagnosed as yet another problem with the O2 sensors abd booked on for new part as soon as it comes in - probably next Monday, as the part is coming from VW, as they want to use a maker's original part this time.

Another victim of the lack of sleep syndrome - with me, I have a recurring dream about getting lost, or not being able to find the car, and when I wake from it, I have great problems with getting back over.  Then it was down to the garage, and a walk into Ludlow to do a shift at Oxfam - pick up part of a prescription (was sent last Monday, called to collect on Saturday and not even printed - was printed and was told it would be ready Monday - went in today and only about half the items were there, as nobody had checked the stock or ordered until I was due to collect and this is the best in Ludlow allegedly)  So it is back in tomorrow for the owings.

A piece of music to share from Emily Linge - she's got more talent in one hand that I'll ever have in my whole being

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

... Bit of bizarre Emil today - it started "Dear noble module leader" and was from someone claiming to have written an essay for one of my students but they hadn't said them so they apparently wanted me to help ...

https://johncolby.wordpress.com/2023/01/16/pattern-is-getting-more-solid-but-still-theres-china/

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium

Just made up the fire, went out for more coal..

Kin cold..

4C blowing 43 mph, from the north " feels like" -4C trying to blow its way through you.

• Friendly/supportive 18

19 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

... Bit of bizarre Emil today - it started "Dear noble module leader" and was from someone claiming to have written an essay for one of my students but they hadn't said them so they apparently wanted me to help ...

https://johncolby.wordpress.com/2023/01/16/pattern-is-getting-more-solid-but-still-theres-china/

The e-mail is indeed bizarre. But have you considered insisting your students address you as "Noble Module Leader"? It has a certain ring to it!

Edited by The Lurker
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 14

40 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

... it started "Dear noble module leader" and was from someone claiming to have written an essay for one of my students

Sounds like a less effective AI chat bot than ChatGTP.

(am kidding, sort of)

It's weird that the essay mill thought they could tap you for payment - from the school of "you'll never get a hit if you don't take a swing" sort of thinking - no harm in trying, etc.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 13
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Bear here.....

Co-op visited.  Tick

Then it was finishing off the framework for the Leccy C.U. Box - all done & pleased with the outcome.  Big Tick.

And after that it was knocking up a new batch of Bear's Patented Chilli Oil - guaranteed to "focus your attention" somewhat (and for lesser mortals to blow yer bonce off).  A whole packet of crushed Chilli Flakes in about 450ml of E.V. Olive Oil; it's now in the cupboard "fermenting".  I have in the past bunged a couple of real Chilli's in as well for good measure but found them unnecessary so don't bother anymore.

All in all, a successful afternoon.  It can't last.

Bear gone.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I went down to Tess Coes this afternoon and while I was there I had some more front door keys cut as I'm getting more unsteady on my feet I am giving a key, one to a friend and one to a neighbour just in case. 

Keeping a mobile phone in your pocket when at home would be a rather good idea, if you don't do so already; a certain Bear does this - but that's mainly due to DIY Antics/shed/loft etc.

In other news....

I see the Met have some serious questions to answer after "one of their own" has finally been caught - how the f. he's managed to get away with it for so long (despite numerous warnings) is a very good question.

I trust he'll receive a suitable welcome from his new neighbours.....

• Like 14
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

18 minutes ago, polybear said:

Keeping a mobile phone in your pocket when at home would be a rather good idea, if you don't do so already; a certain Bear does this - but that's mainly due to DIY Antics/shed/loft etc.

So long as it doesn't break when you fall on it. (Which of course I hope does not happen.)

I assume the 24/7 monitored, personal medical alarm necklace/pendant/watch services are available in the UK? 

• Like 13
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, polybear said:

I see the Met have some serious questions to answer after "one of their own" has finally been caught - how the f. he's managed to get away with it for so long (despite numerous warnings) is a very good question.

Two words. Both of them from formerly-serving officers who have left (because all was not to their liking) and joined the railways.  And have been able to share some thoughts, although not the gory (and in many respects confidential and sub judice) details with me.  

Culture and practice. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 8

Today is a Federal holiday commemorating Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. I have celebrated the day by getting my teeth cleaned. Outside the Federal government, schools and banks, most places are open for business.

Notably there is some sunshine this morning - a little wan at present but more of it than we have seen in a while. Lately the weather has been happily raining and dreary for days on end, less cool than average, and resulting in a surfeit of precipitation (though not the diluvial proportions California has seen lately).

Coverage of the Australian Open (which I have been anticipating) is very spotty. Cable sports telecaster ESPN is directing a large chunk of their coverage to their streaming network (to which I do not subscribe). I don't mind them preempting coverage with NFL playoff games (which they will do tonight) and wouldn't plan to watch the (Melbourne) evening sessions since those matches are played in the wee hours here, but think they could do a little better.

Time to get on with my day.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 4