The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, pH said:

I heard a rhyme yesterday which neatly sums up the recommended actions in ‘interactions’ with various types of bear:

If it’s brown, lie down (Grizzlies are territorial and react to challenges. Being submissive may save you.)

If it’s black, fight back (If a black bear attacks, it probably sees you as prey.)

If it’s white - goodnight! (Polar bears are not cuddly, LDC-eating softies, despite what you may read around here. They are very efficient, carnivorous hunters.)

P.S. There were no recommendations on what to do if encountering a pizzly or a grolar.

Presumably if it is a Peruvian Spectacled Bear, you wave a marmalade sandwich at it.

Adrian

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 17

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

And @jamie92208 has a bigger choice with his venison living in France, truffles anyone?

We have a trufflecorchard fronwinter truffles at thectop of our garden.  Sadly André the owner has not yetvseen fit to offer us any of the harvest. Yet. We live in hope.

Jamie

• Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Apart from this mornings shopping trip, I've done bu99er all the rest of the day. 

Goodnight all 

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 2

4 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I could swear we did something by Isaac Bashevis Singer but none of his published works rings a bell, which is a bit of a head-scratcher. No Brontës though. No small amount of random poetry, (including, of course, some "bush poetry"*) but at this remove I couldn't give you a complete anthology.

* Like How M'Dougal Topped the Score

We got a heap of local literature, like "Summer Of The Seventeenth Doll", "Tree OF Man" by Patrick White, poems by Bruce Dawe, "The Club" by David Williamson, and my favourite, "Island Of Angry Ghosts" which is a true account of the wreck of the Dutch trading ship  Batavia off Western Australia in the 17th Century, and the 20th century archaeological dig at the site.  The shipwreck and subsequent mutiny on the island, the massacres and madness and finally the  torture and grizzly executions of the mutineers   makes "Lord Of The Flies" seem like a book about a  bunch of schoolkids - all up a ripping yarn when you are 14!

https://www.nma.gov.au/defining-moments/resources/wreck-of-the-batavia

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

English was not an option for our graduation. Lit and Comp were the 2 required papers; then 7 others. (All languages were 2 parts.) 

The final year we had Hamlet, Wuthering Heights and Caesar & Cleopatra. Plus various poems and prose.  Our teacher was sure that there was going to be one massive question about revenge in the three main works. but there wasn't.

• Like 19

2 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

... poems by Bruce Dawe,

Yup - certainly "Flashing of Badges" and "And a Good Friday Was Had By All". Perhaps others.

2 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

... the wreck of the Dutch trading ship Batavia off Western Australia in the 17th Century

Pelsaert and the Batavia we covered in history, but without a lot of emphasis on the mutiny carnage. Most of the mutiny history involved Bill Bligh (HMS Bounty, Rum Rebellion, etc).

HMS Pandora (with Bounty mutineers aboard) is thought to have sailed past the shipwrecked survivors of La Lapérouse's expedition in the Solomons, shortly before wrecking on the Great Barrier Reef in 1791. Allegedly, Louis XVI went to the guillotine in 1793 asking "What news of La Lapérouse?". That La Lapérouse showed up in Botany Bay precisely on January 26, 1788 is a curious coincidence, but of course they were ordered to look in and see what the British were up to.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 8

2 hours ago, Barry O said:

Ey up!

Walkabout going well. Some interesting animals have been seen, fed and touched!  Exotic foods have been tried and eaten...

Joints are happy due to the local weather conditions.

Stay safe!

Baz

Try the baby spinach, man!

• Like 5
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Not much from Arthur Itis this morning thankfully. Not good news from Cornwall this morning. The rocket launch was going well until the final stage when it went belly up. Apparently it failed to reach orbit and is likely to burn up. I understand that the satellite payload is insured but it will take time to build and launch replacements.

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

2 hours ago, Barry O said:

Ey up!

Walkabout going well. Some interesting animals have been seen, fed and touched!  Exotic foods have been tried and eaten...

Joints are happy due to the local weather conditions.

Stay safe!

Baz

Dear Uncle Baz I'm so pleased that you're enjoying your walk about. Mum says that's that a walk about is a bit like a safari where you see lots of different animals and get to eat them. I asked her if you have to shot them as well but she wasn't sure if had that big gun thingy with you. Anyway must go because we going to see a moving picture called Picnic at Hanging Rock starring Jenny Ageter.

Your nephew Little Baz.

• Funny 19

Spoiler alert - those not wishing to know the result of the 2023 Canberra Summernats burnout competition should look away now..

For those eagerly awaiting the result the burnout competition was won by Jake Myers for the second time, in his retro Mustang.

Rick Fuller (winner of both Masters and Championship at 'Nats 33) came second in his new ride FULLONX, ahead of Michael Pratten.

"I'm so stoked! Thanks to Mum, Dad, Amy and everyone who helped get the car ready for Summernats," said Jake.

Summernats 35 was a big event for the Myers clan. Not only did they debut the Mustang's old-school look, but Jake's dad Gary was inducted into the John Peterson Burnout Hall of Fame, kicking off the event with an impressive skid prior to the start of the Last Chance Wildcard Shootout.

Here's footage of his gold medal performance, which justifiably  earned him the $20,000 first prize.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1