The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Now about yesterday.

It was just a normal Sunday with the usual telephone calls, including the one to a friend who had been two funerals of his wife's relatives in the same week.  There were also the e mails I do every week.

Most of the rest of the day was spent making a start on sorting out the spare room, I can now get at my photo catalogues more easily which is much better.

Then it was evening with a book and TV - but I gave up on "Twelfth Night" on BBC4 - I just don't really like Skakespeare with a modern set and semi modern costumes.  Of all Shakespeare's plays it is the one I like least - probably because it was the "set play" when I did my O level English Literature exam in 1965.  I can still recite bits of it.

David

Edited by DaveF
To improve grammar.
  • Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

28 minutes ago, DaveF said:

but I gave up on "Twelfth Night" on BBC4 - I just don't really like Skakespeare with a modern set and semi modern costumes.  Of all Shakespeare's plays it is the one I like least - probably because it was the "set play" when I did my O level English Literature exam in 1965.  I can still recite bits of it.

I most definitely agree with the first point, but not the second - mainly because Sir Toby Belch from 12th Night is one of the most fun characters to play (as an actor).

The last time I played Sir Toby, I played him as a self-indulgent, trouble making, lecherous, drunk. Great Fun!

Playing villains is so, so much fun and so (theatrically) satisfying . Apart from Sir Toby Belch other fun roles I’ve played were that of a sadistic secret policeman and that of a perverted murderer.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Do they still write to you and email you?  I think we have finally managed to stop them sending stuff trying to get Matthew to pay them some money. 

No not now, but they did for some time, also trying to get me to update my Continuing Professional Development.  I can manage without the monthly 'People Management' magazine which only had a half page per issue of interesting case law, the rest was companies self promoting services disguised as 'articles of interest'. It was once parodied on Have I Got News, when Angus Deayton admitted he took it from his brother who was a Personnel Officer.

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

I am reliably told that too much LDC (especially cut price “to go” LDC that has started to ferment) has the same intoxicating effect as ETOH

It's rarely around long enough to start fermenting.....

3 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Friend Jayne has a T shirt that reads similar, but:

Hubble Bubble

Toil and Trouble

This Girl's trouble!

Her surname.....is Hubble!

Bear knows it as "Hubble Bubble Toilet Trouble"; no idea if there are any more words to the rhyme though.

• Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, DaveF said:

I can still recite bits of it.

If music be the food of love etc.

That was ours for 'O' level too,

Along with Kim

Do you like Kipling?

I don't know I've never Kippled before.

... and Chaucer's Prologue.

I'm not even going to attempt to quote that.

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, polybear said:

Bear knows it as "Hubble Bubble Toilet Trouble"

In which case I do NOT want the fire to burn nor the cauldron to bubble!!!!! 

• Agree 3
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, BSW01 said:

Was it SMER by any chance? 

Absolutely no idea this far on ....

3 hours ago, polybear said:

Oh yes, and as a final parting shot I asked how much I was in credit by (their website doesn't show that).  HOW MUCH???  Seems they have a tad under NINE HUNDRED QUID of a certain Bear's money sitting in their Bank Account 🤬🤬  Well just as soon as the first/next bill comes in I'll be onto them for a refund.....

I was going to do that after I'd given the latest meter readings the other day.    Then I got the revised bill .........

I know they've been going on for sometime warning of steep price rises but FLAMING NORA!      We are now on two woolly jumpers each and heating not going on until the evenings!     Thank goodness it's mild allegedly although it feels rather nippy to me even if there isn't snow on the ground. My son told me of his daily gas bill as indicated by his Smart meter and bearing in mind that our house is older, has more external walls and is nowhere near as well insulated the exorbitant cost is probably on a pro-rata par with his.🤬

Advice to @polybear:  Make sure you are sitting down when you read the next bill and I'd have the Resus Unit number on Speed-dial if I were you.

In Other News

Puppers decided he wanted to move the telescope "clock" drive (that drives a correctly aligned telescope so that it tracks what ever star it is pointing at) control box to somewhere he could  operate the 4 control buttons whilst  looking in the eyepiece.       So the box was removed and disassembled so that some sort of mounting plate could be made and fitted.   While looking at the electronic innards I started thinking of a Plan B.   Wouldn't it be better to leave the box close to the motor that it drives and have a handy little remote control that would "Press the buttons" when operated?  

I had a rummage through my usefully electronics box and came across a pair of very dinky, 4 digital channel,  Tx & Rx remote control modules I'd bought sometime ago from Amazon for some long-since still born project.     A quick Google found the necessary technical info and so the two were set up on a breadboard and a Noddy arduino program cobbled together to monitor and display the state of the Rx's 4 output lines (which will effectively be pressing  the telescope drive controller's buttons).    A flying earth lead took the place of four push buttons to connect to the Tx modules 4 input lines and after a few goes at trying to pair/configure the two the Arduino display sat happily displaying ones and zeros to reflect which input the flying lead happened to be resting on at the time.     

IMG_8925.jpg.42636310fa21c24303d6cbe555bf3a94.jpg

Transmitter on the left, receiver on the right.     Give them 5V, add 4 push buttons to the Tx and maybe 4 transistor drivers to the Rx and Bob is indeed your Mother's brother!

I have to say this is a great age for electronic "Lego" bricks!

TTFNQ

Alan

Edited by PupCam
Added photo
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1