The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

54 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

I mentioned planks earlier.  It seems there is a "spare" one in the news (again)

I don't pop in here often nowadays, but this caught my eye this morning.😆

We need MORE AGREE buttons.🤣

• Like 9
  • Agree 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. The wind has dropped overnight but according to the forecast will pick up again later. Its also a full moon this evening and predicted to be clear over much of the country. As for the 'spare plank from th' I get the feeling that the book aimed at an American audience from what has been released so far.

• Like 3
  • Agree 11

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

As for the 'spare plank from th' I get the feeling that the book aimed at an American audience from what has been released so far.

Well they do say that empty vessels make the most noise!😉

• Like 2
  • Agree 8
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

A bright but cloudy start to the day here in the northwest corner of England, where the temperature is currently 7C. Today will be back to the usual Friday routine, I shall shortly set off for my walk to the butchers for the weekly meat rations and pork pie for my dinner. Then it’ll be the Trafford for a few more bits and pieces, I’ll also call into WHS to see what they have to tempt me, but I do need some more acrylic paint as well. 

Back later. 

Brian

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, southern42 said:

hard as nails. 

We had some bananas like that recently. They looked ripe, but the peel was very difficult to remove and the fruit was woody.  Only a quick blast in the microwave seemed to make them even slightly edible. 

• Informative/Useful 5
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, DaveF said:

Apparently it is to look for specific bacteria in the colon etc.

I had occasional bacterial tests done years ago when I first had bowel problems. Then no more stool sample tests until a few years ago. The faecal calprotectin test now available is incredibly good at identifying inflammation. Blood tests are interesting. When I was first unwell the standard ESR test implied I had no inflammation,  later on the CRP test definitely showed there was. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, grandadbob said:

Went to Asda and they're still flogging Three Barrels brandy at £13 a bottle so I picked up another one to add to the two in stock. 

Bear buys bottles of Ribena at £1-50 when on special; GDB buys Brandy......🤣

• Like 2
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, BSW01 said:

Well they do say that empty vessels make the most noise!😉

There is a quote (attributed to many famous/infamous people, sometimes extremely dubiously) that 'it is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt'. Perhaps we ought to teach this a little more at skool? 

• Like 11
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

On fruit, if you have deep pockets and are able to I recommend Japanese fruit. In some East and South East Asian countries it is considered very considerate and respectful to give people a gift of good fruit, and Japanese fruit is exceptionally good. I dunno what percentage gets pulped or gets skimmed off to industrial consumers but the fruit sold as fruit in high end fruit shops is perfect, blemish free and with superb texture and taste. However, it's not cheap. I love Japanese kyoho grapes but the Japanese ones are a luxury. China grows a lot of kyoho grapes but while they're very good as everyday grapes they're not like the good stuff from Japan.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

As for the 'spare plank from th' I get the feeling that the book aimed at an American audience from what has been released so far.

Well a vast number seemed to believe everything a certain President said .   😎

• Like 1
  • Agree 6
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All,

Sorry for absence, it couldn't be helped - laptop just needed for so many other matters - much skipping has happened.

43 years ago today, 30747 and I got wed on a very snowy January 6th in 1979, and it was a very close call due to the weather, and also to the fact that the ring was bespoke, and being made by a jeweller in Brighton, and the day I was due to collect it, the Brighton line was closed due to the Patcham collision.  It's fair to say that we've had many ups and downs since, but have managed to stay the course, and both now are retired and moved to somewhere that we both want to live.

No comments from this quarter about recent royal revalations, other than to say that it has kn*ckered our attempt to watch or record a new Midsomer Murders on Sunday, as it appears that the royal takes precedence, and our recorder is now showing a scheduling error.

I haven't seem any comments about the Apprentice, as I have skipped - also managed to avoid any spoilers on the radio - so once I logoff, I am off to watch the recording.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 7