The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Yes they are. Had one for several years. Re the age of the mattress. I recall seeing something that modern mattresses only last seven years. I got one a couple of years back and was horrified how much it cost and the fact it was only single sided unlike the one it was replacing. I also recall that they are supposed to be turned i think once a month to stop them sagging.

Bear's is single-sided - so can only be turned around and not over; such mattresses usually have their own built in soft topper thingy (tech. term) which is why they can't be turned over.  It seems both types are easily available; I've not found any disadvantage with those that can't be turned over - in fact they're probably more comfortable because of the soft topper.

In other news....

Bear watched the first episode of the final series of Happy Valley tonight - bluddy good;  Sarah Lancashire is excellent in the series - if all Coppers were as good as her we'd have no crime.  The first two series are available on iPlayer, incidentally.

And finally....

image.png.d38f7b2e65d04ae070fd7f56404072c0.png

image.png.8e2a42e8a823ea0a5b141b6f860511ef.png

image.png.7af7bd16028297021ecc4d9775cf6c50.png

image.png.955bbb1006b0647dc7e8101342ec7aa1.png

image.png.82b1c70706866aa012359deda9afea27.png

image.png.ecb1e528d2a9b3e87ae9f10c6be687bc.png

Three Aussie blokes working up on an outback mobile phone tower:
Mongrel, Coot and Bluey. As they start their descent, Coot slips, falls off the tower and is killed instantly.
As the ambulance takes the body away, Bluey says, 'Well, b*gger me, someone's gotta go and tell Coot's wife. Mongrel says, 'OK, I'm pretty good at that sensitive stuff, I'll do it.'
Two hours later, he comes back carrying a case of Beer. Bluey says, 'Where'd you get the grog, Mongrel?'
'Coot's wife gave it to me,' Mongrel replies.
'That's unbelievable, you told the Missus her husband was dead and she gave you a case of beer?'
'Well, not exactly', Mongrel says.
'When she answered the door, I said to her, "you must be Coot's widow."
She said, 'You must be mistaken. I'm not a widow.'
Then I said, 'I'll betcha a case of beer you are.'

I had the central heating engineer round this morning and while he was working away he said, “I see you’re a darts man, like myself.”
I asked how he worked that out and he replied, “That photo on the fireplace of you and Jocky Wilson.”
I replied, “That’s my wife mate.”

When I was a boy I could go into my local newsagent with ten Bob and come out with four comics, couple of dirty mags, ten fags, two cans of Irn Bru, two big Wagon wheels, a packet of cheese and onion crisps and a pick and mix.
Nowadays there’s cameras everywhere.

I’m finding as I get older that I’m going to far few shops. In fact, most weeks I just go to Specsavers, Boots and Greggs.

Specs and drugs and sausage roll is all my body needs.

• Like 2
  • Funny 15

40 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

They’re not cheap are they?  

We opted for a mid-range product when the IKEA arrives-in-a-tube-and-expands-when-opened mattress decided enough was enough and it didn’t want to be laid on any more thank you. 

It produced more dust than we ever though feasible and the memory foam forgot itself. 

We investigated the Emma mattress but opted for the slightly cheaper, but equally well-rated, Simba one. And very happy we have been with it too. 

Probably just as well because I might otherwise have had to explain to Dr. SWMBO why I had had a good night on top of Emma again!!!  

You'll be alright so long as Emma doesn't say anything.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 10

3 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Opinions will vary, but I'm converted to memory foam mattresses. Lightweight, they are easily ordered online, delivered by regular parcels (no special delivery/installation people), arrive all compressed and magically resume their shape once placed on the bed.

I find them very comfortable. Some may prefer something more supportive.

https://www.mypillow.com/mattresses/the-complete-mattress-sleep-system?gclid=Cj0KCQiAnsqdBhCGARIsAAyjYjRmjZI_j1yCVpjpzrdlZOuCL5nilzo8LViUykAut9t-Rs--Tp1N7-MaAqpfEALw_wcB

🤣

• Like 7
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Bear here.....

Today sees a certain Bear adding decorative routed corners to the Newel Post.  Hopefully.

It may all go smoothly.  Failing that, fellow ER'ers are sure to hear a faint (or not so faint) rumble of Thunder with a Chorus of "F*ggin' Piggin' Turdycurses" thrown in.  And after that it'll no doubt be time for Operation Cleanup - which may or may not be quick depending on just how well the dust extraction setup works....

At which point I'll quit and concentrate on sorting the next ISP supplier - be it the current one (if the deal is right) or a new one; I've still to think about paint schemes too, as well as pack up an ebay sale (two, actually - to the same person) and send them an invoice.

In other news......

It seems that in Manitou Springs, USA they have a competition every January to see just how far they can throw away their Fruitcakes.  Very, very Weird......

And finally.......

Now then, just what sort of Bozo (no, not that Bozo) would buy off someone (that *may* or *may not* be telling the truth) with twelve million quid (with gagging orders on both parties) - only for that gagging clause to be (reportedly) time - limited to twelve months??  I'll give you a clue - he used to be known as HRH.....

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

23 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

When I was a wee lad I used to sleep in a corner on a pile of straw (and had to be eternally grateful IF the straw was clean as well)…

That's nothing....when Bear was a Cub it was a block of Ice at minus 40.......if I was lucky it'd have a dusting of snow on top......

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Thankfully the overnight rain has stopped, but it’s very wet out there and at 5C it’s quite cool too. My first task today is a visit to the dental hygienist, which hopefully won’t take long, then it’s back home for breakfast. After breakfast I shall complete the Sainsbury’s Grand Prix. After dinner Sheila wants to go to Waitrose! 

Back later. 

Brian 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, BlackRat said:

Greetings one and all.

Generic best wishes and new year felicitations.

Does anyone have any update on Chris F? I’ve tried looking online for funeral dates etc but can’t find anything.

I doubt very much if I’d be able to go, but I’d certainly like to raise a glass of something’s suitable.

Mention of mattresses reminds me of sleeping on a straw stuffed one in an open hut in the middle of the Oolu (jungle) whilst with the R.M.

Very comfortable but the thing actually became alive at night!

It might well be worth riingibg the coroners officer for Bedford. Otherwise 88c his cousin is the only other contact.  The coroners officer for West Sussex was very helpful about poor John DMJ.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Its difficult to turn over on my mattress but I'd blamed Arthur Itis. My attempts to turn over probably account for the wear on the mattress. Not too worried about turning over as as soon as my head touches the pillow I'm out. 

33 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

Good morning all,

Dull but dry start however a wet and windy day is forecast with rain due in 40 minutes.  7°C possibly rising to 12°C.

Last night I had a bit of a mishap.  Stood up.  Dropped specs. Trod on specs.  Lens popped out as well as little retaining screw.  Eventually found it in carpet more by luck than actually seeing it.  Wasn't able to see properly to replace the screw last night so will have to try today with the aid of magnifying specs but I'm a bit worried I might have stripped the thread.  If so a visit to the opticians will be necessary.  I think "Turdycurses" x many are called for.

Have a good one,

Bob.

Don't you have a spare pair? My optician offers an extra pair at a very reasonable price (free lenses and a discount on the frames). 

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

48 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

When I was a wee lad I used to sleep in a corner on a pile of straw (and had to be eternally grateful IF the straw was clean as well)…

Didn’t do me any harm, made me the bitter, twisted, deformed hunchback that I am today….

Luxury!

• Funny 14

Greetings all from a grey and damp Sidcup. First day of the working year and strikes mean it is a WFH day. Took Younger Lurker to school; the others don't start term until tomorrow.

Realised today that we will probably have the privilege of asking HMRC to pass on a message to an overseas tax authority and that message will be no you can't have the info requested because you left it too late to enquire (or HMRC left it too late to pass on the request). It' part of the overseas authority's enquiry into one of their taxpayers, that we happened to have a transaction with many years ago.

Right, I had better get on!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 16