The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

Our telly died earlier this year, total cartoon fumph sound and magic smoke.  Went to a local place rather than Currys (who have a 'bit' of a reputation here) and got it down to a couple, and asked the salesbloke what was the difference for an extra hundred ish quid.  'None for you' was the answer, unless we had a younger family member - the more expensive version was 'picture wise the same, the extra dosh paid for zillions of gaming type functions young people want, but you'll never use' kind of answer - good man.  Open and honest, we have returned there since for other things.

The TV is a Samsung BTW, no idea what model but getting anything smaller than about ten feet was a problem, modest sizes are apparently not 'the thing'.  Does all we want, smart enough for catch up type things and you toob type stuff. Top class picture, almost able to understand the remote too.....🤣

The sort of useful information .

A while since we changed ours but - we wanted one with a DVD option ... the biggest we could get with that option was 43".  Not the least bit interested in all this other stuff and those who know me also know that a mobile telephone is for telephone calls and messages far too small for anything else and as GD found using her mobile for other things £30 went 'just like that' and Dad said you'll have to wait until your next pocket money to top up.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, polybear said:

Shine a torch at the screen when the telly's on and see if you can see an image (it'll be very faint - turning the room light off may or may not help); if you can then the screen backlight is fu'barred - new telly time.  John Lewis normally bung an extra years' warranty as a freebie.

Thanks - tried this but no image seen. It's still a FUBAR situation, first decision is do we replace or not. The TV is of some vintage, so no warranty in force. I do like those products which have [free] extended warranties, shows the manufacturers have some faith in their QC and/or the parts they use. 

3 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Our telly died earlier this year, total cartoon fumph sound and magic smoke.  Went to a local place rather than Currys (who have a 'bit' of a reputation here) and got it down to a couple, and asked the salesbloke what was the difference for an extra hundred ish quid.  'None for you' was the answer, unless we had a younger family member - the more expensive version was 'picture wise the same, the extra dosh paid for zillions of gaming type functions young people want, but you'll never use' kind of answer - good man.  Open and honest, we have returned there since for other things.

.... getting anything smaller than about ten feet was a problem, modest sizes are apparently not 'the thing'.  ...

The old TV came from our 'local place' - likewise, we preferred to use them rather than Currys even though they were a little more £. Sadly, they ain't there no more... 

So I see from a quick canter through online TVs for sale! Which is a bit of a ****, as something modest rather than a piece half the size of a cinema screen is what we'd like. 

3 hours ago, Tony_S said:

If your BT box and DVD box are oldish they may only have Scart connectors. Modern TVs don’t seem to have them, HDMI are usual now. TVs often come with digital coax or optical connectors for connection to external audio but that might not bother you. We got a Samsung in 2019 that seems fine still and came with a 5 year warranty from John Lewis. 
Tony

That's the second decision (maybe). I'll pull everything out tomorrow (if we get something pertaining to daylight!) and have a look. I suspect the type of connectors would be a limiting factor in what we [might] buy. 

Strangely enough I was wondering about Samsung, some of their other products have performed 'as stated on the tin' or better so we could well push some modelling vouchers their way if they have something suitable. 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Curiously, when I have been for any of my “over 65 full check up and service“ my GP likes to send me on, I have been pretty sanguine about the whole business. Even when awaiting the results of an MRI or a biopsy. My attitude was very much “ Biology is biology and what happens, happens. No point in worrying about it as there’s only 3 possibilities: negative, positive but curable/treatable; positive but incurable/untreatable“ whatever the result, life goes on.

A certain Bear was somewhat like that back in Dec 2019 whilst under investigation for The Big C; I'd just been to Toolstation? Screwfix? Magnet? and was driving the Bearmobile when the mobile rang and it was the Doc - now when Bear gets a call from the Doc the day after being on The Scanner I know the sh1t is about to come a headin' Bear's way......

It was most definitely a case of "Return Seat to the upright position, ensure seat belt is securely fastened and fold the table away" kinda discussion, cos' there's a very good chance that yes, Bear does have Bowel Cancer.  Poo.

Bear still headed into town for a shuftie round the Charity Shops though.

Rather fortunately, and after a rather Foxy Doc did unspeakable things with an Endoscope 😱 it turned out to be a false alarm,  which was rather useful cos' the kitchen was totally and utterly f.., er demolished and I recall thinking "now how the hell am I gonna get this finished?"  Nothing like priorities......

Insofar as telly's are concerned, Bear got one of these back in August (they're fifty notes cheaper now 😡):

https://www.johnlewis.com/lg-43uq91006la-2022-led-hdr-4k-ultra-hd-smart-tv-43-inch-with-freeview-hd-freesat-hd-ashed-blue/p6134116#product

No complaints whatsoever - and a 5 year warranty too.

edit:  Chosen after mucho (and some) research and reading of reliable reviews/tests written by people who know at least a bit about telly's

In other news:

Wood Filler all sanded - and without the use of too many naughty words either; then it was clean-up time followed by a wallow - I think a Hippo may have been there first, judging by the mud left behind.  At least I hope it was mud......😱

Edited by polybear
  • Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Claude_Dreyfus said:

On a more general point, it never ceases to amaze me how rural parts of West Sussex are, especially in the lee of the downs. We are only 50 miles from London, yet there are some very remote areas -

And some fairly isolated villages which simply owe nothing at all to being within 50 miles of London. Graffham comes to mind. And East Marden. Even Shipley which isn’t far off the busy A24 (via the A272) and which is close enough to Horsham to be a “commuter village” but isn’t. All very much leading their own sleepy lives. 

• Like 11
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, roundhouse said:

One big noticeable change since our last visit 4 years ago is the huge number of street people in San Diego , especially in downtown.

Everywhere in the west. I suspect you would find parts of Portland greatly changed.

The combination of pandemic impacts to businesses (mostly related to office workers deserting downtown for 'work from home' with a huge knock-on effect to businesses downtown) a residual increase in anarchic, minor property crime, (mostly related to fewer people downtown) and the massive increase in the 'unhoused' makes a visible impact.

There is a direct correlation between the cost of housing and per capita homeless populations in the larger counties along the west coast.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 8

51 minutes ago, The White Rabbit said:

Strangely enough I was wondering about Samsung,

46 minutes ago, polybear said:

Insofar as telly's are concerned, Bear got one of these back in August

Both Samsung and LG (formerly marketed as "Goldstar") are excellent. They are both from the Republic of Korea (aka South Korea). I have one of each, five years and six years old respectively and they continue to be very reliable.

Samsung is the global leader in consumer television appliances with a 19.8% market share. LG is number two with a 12.2% share.

• Like 11
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Finished up some of the last bits of Christmas food for dinner. The last of the venison, some parsnips and green veg are in the slow cooker and should be done shortly. Roast spuds are ready in the air fryer and have just been switched on. Dessert will be the mortal remains of the stollen cake.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Nearly forgot, the bath stool is great, it makes getting out of the bath a lot easier and safer. I was so concerned about being trapped in the bath that I haven't had a proper bath over Christmas. It also means that I can wash my feet in the bath  and not using a bowl of water. 

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 4

... One of the main factors being used to argue for testing for people arriving from China is that of vaccine hesitancy in that population. But in the UK only 64% of those eligible have had the autumn booster, and very little is being done to promote its takeup. Errmmmmm …

https://johncolby.wordpress.com/2022/12/30/sounds-of-the-season-2022-23-34-data-restarted-patterns-compared-and-pressures/

• Like 9
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Nearly forgot, the bath stool is great, it makes getting out of the bath a lot easier and safer. I was so concerned about being trapped in the bath that I haven't had a proper bath over Christmas. It also means that I can wash my feet in the bath  and not using a bowl of water. 

A neighbour had a leccy/battery jobbie that sat in the bath and would lower and raise you at the touch of a button.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, The White Rabbit said:

Dovey Junction is the real 'gateway' to the more picturesque stretches of the line

Cyffordd Dyfi please 🤣

As I have been reminded by an old school friend now retired to Llwyngwril just a bit farther along the line.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, BoD said:

Nurse said it should be checked out.  This was on a Thursday the week before Xmas.  Booked in on the Monday for an ECG and  GP appointment on Wednesday.  ECG normal, lungs sounded ok but was referred for  X-ray.  Contacted yesterday and X-ray is on Tuesday. . I suspect that in some places it would be expected  for that all to happen in one visit with results available too, but I’m not complaining.  That doesn’t make it any easier for those who are having difficulties getting appointments though.

For the UK that sounds rather good service to this Bear.

In other news.....

Just watched the first episode of "Litvinenko" via ITV X (no money required) - rather good; he's the Guy that was murdered by poisoning with Palonium 210 (apparently - according to Wiki - a gram of the stuff is enough to kill 50 million people and get another 50 million sick) back in 2006.  An interesting Drama - worth a watch.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

1 minute ago, polybear said:

For the UK that sounds rather good service to this Bear.

In other news.....

Just watched the first episode of "Litvinenko" via ITV X (no money required) - rather good; he's the Guy that was murdered by poisoning with Palonium 210 (apparently - according to Wiki - a gram of the stuff is enough to kill 50 million people and get another 50 million sick) back in 2006.  An interesting Drama - worth a watch.

Don't you have some spindles that need filling Oh Furry One.

• Like 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Winslow Boy said:

Don't you have some spindles that need filling Oh Furry One.

Nope 😁

The current plan is for glass panels - so no sanding, filling or painting required 🥳

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1

30 minutes ago, polybear said:

Nope 😁

The current plan is for glass panels - so no sanding, filling or painting required 🥳

You'll have to make some 'life style adjustments' me thinks to afford them Bear. No straying near the chiller cabinet when your in the Co-op i think.

• Like 11
  • Funny 2

9 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

A snowman in Singapore, when-oh-when is the world going to wake up to the menace of global colding? 😱

Snowman.jpg

Just watched ‘Top Gun Maverick’ and boy is this climate lark getting serious. Tom Cruise flew his F18 across the Persian Gulf and crossed the coastline  at sea level to enter Iran and follow a snow covered river valley.

I was beginning to wondering if it was a remake of ‘633 Squadron.

• Like 1
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Not feeling as sleepy as usual for this time of evening so I might have a go at Farcebook which I've been neglecting recently. I'll also have to prune a few groups from my portfolio especially those that have a post once in a blue moon.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

The Trafford Centre wasn’t as busy as I thought it was going to be, so I wasn’t out long, in fact I was back hour within the hour. The rest of the morning was spent reading. 

After dinner we all sat and watched a film, today’s choice being ‘Young Sherlock’ another of Ava’s favourites. The sky was fairly clear tonight, so just before I took her home, I was able to show her Jupiter, Mars and Saturn, she was quite excited by that. 

Despite someone being in all day, Royal Snail failed to deliver either of the 2 packages, both showing ‘In Transit’ all day, they still show that now! We’re hoping that they’ll turn up tomorrow. 

• Like 19