The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, polybear said:

coming round to the idea of replacing those spindles with new....

I know a few people,who have replaced the spindles with glass panels. However I think they may generate a “How much…..”. 

• Like 7
  • Agree 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. A sad day indeed with the news about Chris.

1 hour ago, polybear said:

A Beary Thought.......

For those fellow ER'ers (and anyone else, for that matter) who live alone:

Please give serious thought to having a daily (or even better, twice daily) method to advise a friend or family member that you are ok.  Bear does this with Buddy over the road (who also lives alone) first thing every morning simply by sending emails to each other with "OK" in the subject line; another Friend (who lives alone) in the street sends a "one ring" phone call to Bear early every morning as well (she's not got a P.C.).  Very simple and works.

And finally, if you are a rather adventurous silly Bear etc. who indulges in Ladder acrobatics, going into Lofts, heading off down the Garden to play trains in the Shed etc. then FFS have a Mobile Fone in yer pocket in case of accident or illness.  You know it makes sense.

Good advice which reminds me that I should give my brother a call. Very quickly the days turn into weeks and the weeks into months. At least my nephew visits my brother frequently to keep an eye on him.

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Bear here.....

2nd layer of PS was delayed by the arrival of Buddy over the road (he who receives & sends an "OK" email - which after the news of today we've both agreed that making it twice daily is A Very Good idea) - he came in search of a box of Chicken Nuggets that Bear had promised him; it's one of the Co-op's five items for six quid purchased a few days ago that Bear doesn't scoff (Bear's body is a Temple n' all that).  We also put the world to rights for a while as well.

Anyway, PS coat no. 2 is now on and the rail wrapped in plastic until the morning; I'm hopeful this'll fetch off the last of the paint.  I also remembered that the PS Instructions do mention that low temperatures hinder the effectiveness of the PS - and the H/S/L aren't heated at present.

Here's how the current spindles are attached:

Lower Joint:

906462273_IMG_33121.JPG.6650ae09a332e0a2d75b71f9e10a6c5e.JPG

Upper Joint - covered in PS and wrinkly paint; note the craftsmanship(?) of the closely fitting (not) joint on the underside of the Banister Rail......

790021378_IMG_33141.JPG.c29c0064ceb4e7582bef2581f0d81050.JPG

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

We have them at work they are great for emu eggs.

If only the Australian army had them 90 years ago they perhaps then wouldn’t have been defeated in the Emu War. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 15

6 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

If only the Australian army had them 90 years ago they perhaps then wouldn’t have been defeated in the Emu War. 

We did finally  beat them - by the clever deployment of A Fence.

Just heard they are making a movie about that. John Cleese is in it. Hopefully not as one of the emus, although a mob of them all doing the silly walk would be worth paying to see.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/john-cleese-jim-jefferies-great-emu-war-2021-afm-1235037607/

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 14
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

We did finally  beat them - by the clever deployment of A Fence.

Just heard they are making a movie about that. John Cleese is in it. Hopefully not as one of the emus, although a mob of them all doing the silly walk would be worth paying to see.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/john-cleese-jim-jefferies-great-emu-war-2021-afm-1235037607/

I notice from the quite that the emus will be puppets and cgi. Not taking any chances with history repeating itself then!

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Funny 5

44 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

One of the two surviving officers had only been in the force a few months, they tried burning her out by setting light to the paddock. She thought she was dead and texted friends and relations goodbye. Probably only the fact that cops here can shoot back stopped them from just hunting  her down and killing her too.

The only other incidents of multiple police killings here that quickly come to mind are the 1988  Walsh Street killings in Melbourne where two police were shot dead after being lured to an ambush, then there were two police shot in the 90's by a suspect with a high powered rifle when arriving at a property  on the NSW central coast. Following a major inquiry of that event  criticism was made of the shortcomings of the standard police issue 6 shot revolver and police guns were upgraded to semi-automatic Glock pistols.

Other than that the only other incident I can think of  is the Ned Kelly gang ambush of police at Stringybark Creek in the Wombat Ranges (how Aussie is that name!) where the Kelly Gang shot dead 3 police officers in 1878.

A couple of years back a scrote, Dale Crugan?, killed two coppers with a hand grenade.

• Friendly/supportive 11